Breeders vs. DINKs: let's get ready to rumble!

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:19 pm
cyphercat wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Like waiting for the slow motion waitress to bring the check while his kid melts and other patrons shoot daggers at him.

What I'm defending is not "bad parents" but all parents.

Okay, I'm not defending "slow motion waitresses," I'm defending all waitresses-- we're rarely in slow motion, it's more often that we have 5,000 things to do at once, all for people who think they are the only ones who've asked you to do anything.

Having worked in the service industry for half my working life, I can tell the difference between slow motion and busy.

Quote:
But for example, yesterday I waited on a woman with a baby who had brought her own baby utensils. Well and good, but the spoon was metal and pointed like a little trowel (who designed a sharp metal spoon for a baby anyway, come to think of it? Confused ), and the baby was literally gouging it into one of our newly refinished wood tables. So what on earth stops a parent from simply taking away the spoon?

Maybe the fact that she knows the baby will scream bloody murder which will seriously inhibit the dining experience of the other patrons. But just like a patron might not understand that a waitress has 5000 things to do and several other customers, you might not understand the 5000 other things that a parent might have going on that causes her to be sitting in your restaurant and not performing to your standards of parenting.

Quote:
I really do give parents a lot of slack in situations where a kid is just having a bad day and the parent can't really think of what to do. But I've had a lot of jobs that dealt with the public-- librarian, sales clerk, waitress-- and I think I've had enough experience to see when a parent is just not trying. It seems to me that it happens an awful lot.

It probably happens enough where you see it. Very few parents are good parents from the moment their child is born and no parents, I mean none, can anticipate every possible reaction their child will have to situations throughout the day (though with time they can get pretty close). I'm not saying there are no bad parents, but I am saying that observing a few minutes of someone's life does not qualify you (or me, or anyone) to decide whether they are good or bad parents. For every example you have of a parent that just wasn't trying, I have an example of someone copping an attitude as soon as they see someone walk in with a child, before they've even had a chance to make a sound.

So let me just sum up what I'm trying to say. There are parents who are inconsiderate. There are people who just don't want to see children in public. There's really nothing any of us can do about either of those situations besides vent here about it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:10 pm
There are plenty of inconsiderate parents out there and
their poor children are the ones who get the stares and a bad rep.
I've seen mothers in malls browsing and shopping for hours
on end with the little ones in tow and ignoring their crying
completely. Afterwards they dragged them into the mall restaurants where these poor kids were supposed to sit still until Mommy was finished.

These children will act up, they're tired, they're over stimulated and they're in unfamiliar places. All they want to do is play and be in
familiar surroundings. Don't take children where they don't belong,
or if needed, limit the time to one hour if possible.

I rarely went shopping for longer than 1 hour when I had my
daughter with me - frankly, I didn't last longer myself.
At the groceries, she got a candy at the check-out counter
IF she behaved while shopping, and it usually worked.

When we went for dinner, she had a choice of either
going with us and mind her manners or the babysitter would come.
If she was ill behaved, the privilege of getting to choose was removed,
and the babysitter would be called in future. We started this, when my daughter was 3 years old.

Of course, with an infant and a small toddler these rules
don't apply, one has to rely on the parents to make a
smart decision that is hopefully in favor of the child.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:14 pm
CJ--

Amen.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:09 am
FreeDuck wrote:
you might not understand the 5000 other things that a parent might have going on that causes her to be sitting in your restaurant and not performing to your standards of parenting.

Quote:

Certainly possible in many cases, but in this particular case, she was sitting there smiling beatifically at the baby gouging the spoon into the table, so there didn't seem to be much else going on. My "standards of parenting" aren't very demanding-- I do think that allowing the child to actually do damage to other people's property is going a bit far by most standards. Our restaurant doesn't make a lot of money, it was a big deal to us when we got that table refinished! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:22 am
Also, Freeduck, I notice you mentioned judging people as bad parents from small incidents-- I'm not sure if I sounded like I was saying these are bad parents, but if I did imply that, it wasn't my intention.

I don't think that I can tell if people are bad parents from little incidents like that. I just think they are inconsiderate of others, and I don't think that's the same as being a bad parent.

They might be perfectly lovely from the child's p.o.v., and if they're raising happy, healthy kids, that's certainly more of an indicator of what kind of parent they are than whether their kids annoy waitresses. My only intention was to discuss people's impact on others and consideration of others, not whether they are good or bad parents.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:24 am
I just found this thread and now understand Joe's wink to Soz on the announcement thread Smile

I was a DINK during my first marriage, married to a man who didn't want children and didn't like other people's children very much. Eating out in that relationship was very stressful when other children were disruptive. I fully understand that people without children are paying hard earned money to enjoy an evening out and don't at all appreciate having the meal ruined by someone else's children.

Maybe because I was older before having children, or possibly carrying leftover influences from my first marriage, I too instilled restaurant behaviour rules with my children. When they were very small we would take them to places like Chili's or Boston Market. No matter the restaurant, our loudness rule was always that we spoke with voices that only our table could hear. Anything louder and one of us would go outside with whichever child was struggling and stay outside until she was ready to be in the restaurant again.

It didn't take me very long to learn to remind them about restaurant behaviour before going inside. Before we opened the door to enter I would ask if we were all ready to be in a restaurant. Once inside, a simple reminder of "we're in a restaurant" was all it usually took or, I might ask if it was time to leave.

One day at a very crowded Applebee's restaurant at lunchtime we were waiting to be seated, as were dozens of other people. It was winter and the kids were bundled and anxious. M was 2 and K was 4. Somewhere nearby a balloon popped, a baby started crying, and a pair of siblings started to hit each other. K grabbed my hand and started pulling me toward the door saying, "Mom! It's time to LEAVE!" Laughing I agreed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:31 am
Wonderful description..
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:38 am
cyphercat wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
you might not understand the 5000 other things that a parent might have going on that causes her to be sitting in your restaurant and not performing to your standards of parenting.

Certainly possible in many cases, but in this particular case, she was sitting there smiling beatifically at the baby gouging the spoon into the table, so there didn't seem to be much else going on. My "standards of parenting" aren't very demanding-- I do think that allowing the child to actually do damage to other people's property is going a bit far by most standards. Our restaurant doesn't make a lot of money, it was a big deal to us when we got that table refinished! Crying or Very sad

It is perfectly reasonable to expect patrons not to damage your property. In this case, I'm certain that there was some other action she could have taken which would have prevented the damage -- such as offering the child something he/she could mutilate with the spoon, like a banana or something, or she should have offered to pay for the damage. If that were my child we would have left as soon as I found that my preparations were not effective.

Please don't take my ranting to mean that parents should be automatically let slide for things as extreme as this incident. And I agree with C.J.'s post -- I've seen that too, though not often as I shop online when I need to buy a lot of things. Partly because my children can't take long shopping sprees and partly because I myself can't.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:43 am
Yep J_B, we have similar rules. Before we go in a restaurant I tell my kids to "put on their restaurant manners". They understand that there are different standards of behavior in a restaurant and if they don't behave well we will leave. If there is a long wait, we go elsewhere. When they were too young to behave long enough to have a meal, we did take-out or we went to restaurants that were already very noisy and which drowned our babies' squeals out so that no-one noticed.

Most parents can tell when they are disturbing other patrons and will try not to. Some people are more easily disturbed than others, however, and there's just not much we can do about that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:12 pm
J_B wrote:
I just found this thread and now understand Joe's wink to Soz on the announcement thread Smile

I was a DINK during my first marriage, married to a man who didn't want children and didn't like other people's children very much. Eating out in that relationship was very stressful when other children were disruptive. I fully understand that people without children are paying hard earned money to enjoy an evening out and don't at all appreciate having the meal ruined by someone else's children.

Maybe because I was older before having children, or possibly carrying leftover influences from my first marriage, I too instilled restaurant behaviour rules with my children. When they were very small we would take them to places like Chili's or Boston Market. No matter the restaurant, our loudness rule was always that we spoke with voices that only our table could hear. Anything louder and one of us would go outside with whichever child was struggling and stay outside until she was ready to be in the restaurant again.

It didn't take me very long to learn to remind them about restaurant behaviour before going inside. Before we opened the door to enter I would ask if we were all ready to be in a restaurant. Once inside, a simple reminder of "we're in a restaurant" was all it usually took or, I might ask if it was time to leave.

One day at a very crowded Applebee's restaurant at lunchtime we were waiting to be seated, as were dozens of other people. It was winter and the kids were bundled and anxious. M was 2 and K was 4. Somewhere nearby a balloon popped, a baby started crying, and a pair of siblings started to hit each other. K grabbed my hand and started pulling me toward the door saying, "Mom! It's time to LEAVE!" Laughing I agreed.

Thanks JB- that's what I'd been trying to say....That is can be done if someone takes the responsibility of having a child in a public place as their responsibility.
Again, however, since you have a child, your comments are met with the universal parent response of "good point" (paraphase)

If Cypercat or myself said this, we'd be discounted as "not knowing the situation" and so forth (paraphase)

DrewDad made the point that there are a lot more well behaved children out there than mis-behaving

True, and thank God there are. Unfortunately the 1 out of 10 that misbehaves and is allowed to get away with it creates more frustration and anger than a room full of good kids.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:27 pm
That's true. Good point, Chai. :wink:
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:44 pm
My fiance and I are DINKs...I like being that way and I intend to stay this
way, I like my freedom of coming and going, no sh*tty nappies or vomit or tantrums...no demands, no being short of money...
you guys can keep all that, even though 'Parenthood' is probably all wonderful to you but I shudder at the thought of babies....I love kids but I dont want any of my own. Besides I see enough of my nieces and nephews as it is and while it's lovely having them, it's even lovelier when they go home! Laughing
0 Replies