Apatheism/ Another Way of Looking at Agnosticism

snood

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 05:00 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
snood wrote:
Just a little tiny bit of sarcasm, Ma. Part of me just cringes at the way you try sooooooo hard to be at peace with everybody. But I understand its well intended.

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/confusedsmiley.gifI am now thoroughly confused. If I lash out at someone because of something, I am then accused of not behaving like a Christian. If I try hard to get along with everybody you cringe? NOTE TO SELF: Find some common ground in the middle of these two?

Just be yourself, Ma. You can't help it that you're entertaining.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:29 am
I think it comes from the word 'apathy' so I guess it would be a-pa'-thee-ism probably created by some academic with time on his hands and frustrated by apathetic students.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:53 am
I'm confused why any apatheists would spend any time on this board
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:05 am
slkshock7 wrote:
I'm confused why any apatheists would spend any time on this board

I can only speak for myself. At this point in time, I am very comfortable with my beliefs, thank you, and really have no need to defend them.......................................except when others attempt to regulate MY life, and the lives of other people, based on nothing but THEIR religious beliefs.

Normally, I would have no reason to discuss religion at all. Been there, done that, when I was in college, at seventeen, and hanging around the coffee houses in Greenwich Village, discussing LIFE. I am well past the stage where I have to think about, and discuss, why I am here, and what is my place in the universe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:08 am
What you say about your beliefs is true of me also, Phoenix.

I can only speak for myself. At this point in time, I am very comfortable with my beliefs, thank you, and really have no need to defend them.......................................except when others attempt to regulate MY life, and the lives of other people, based on nothing but THEIR religious beliefs.

Normally, I would have no reason to discuss religion at all. Been there, done that, when I was in college, at seventeen, and hanging around the coffee houses in Greenwich Village. I am well past the stage where I have to think about, and discuss, why I am here, and what is my place in the universe.

That I am a full blown atheist is my own take on things, but my sentiments are the same.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 06:18 am
Snood wrote:
I don't have, nor do I desire, any conflict with you . You and I probably wouldn't have much at all to say to each other if you didn't jump in the middle of conflicts unrelated to you...what is it, Phoenix? You just miss taliking to me, or something?

Snood- There have been numerous occasions where I had something to say in one or more of your threads, but I deferred, out of respect for your feelings towards me, which you have made eminently clear. I would expect nothing less from you. Thanks!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 09:22 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Snood wrote:
I don't have, nor do I desire, any conflict with you . You and I probably wouldn't have much at all to say to each other if you didn't jump in the middle of conflicts unrelated to you...what is it, Phoenix? You just miss taliking to me, or something?

Snood- There have been numerous occasions where I had something to say in one or more of your threads, but I deferred, out of respect for your feelings towards me, which you have made eminently clear. I would expect nothing less from you. Thanks!

Pretty crafty to dig up something out of context, that was written by me after parrying several jabs by you (in unison with others). So happy to hear that you are "deferring" now, instead of making those kind of jabs.
Congratulations on your newfound sense of fairness, and I will gladly "defer" from any further comment on this ridiculous, self-absorbed foray of a thread.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:50 am
Snood wrote:
Congratulations on your newfound sense of fairness, and I will gladly "defer" from any further comment on this ridiculous, self-absorbed foray of a thread.

You really have a rough time controlling your impulse to be nasty, don't you? 'Tis a pity, because basically I think that you are a pretty bright guy.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
Quote:
I know what you mean about having a label - does it matter or not? It is nice to have a short-hand answer though, isn't it?

What is more important....the packaging, or the product?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 11:26 am
I am entertaining? Let me guess, that wasn't a compliment either, right?

<<<<<third time now you have hurt my feelings>>>>>

<<<<what have I done to you to deserve this?>>>>
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:53 pm
Hey Momma,

Don't take it all so personally.

I come here to learn about people and see things from others points of view, and like many others here, I learn by having my views and opinions challenged...if I can't come up with a good answer to any given challenge....perhaps I'm wrong and need to re-evaluate....(Yes, it has happened Razz )

I sure you learn a lot also, even if the lessons aren't always fun.

Put the gloves back on and enjoy yourself ! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rex the Wonder Squirrel

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 07:38 pm
Pheonix32890 wrote:
At this point in time, I am very comfortable with my beliefs, thank you, and really have no need to defend them.......................................except when others attempt to regulate MY life, and the lives of other people, based on nothing but THEIR religious beliefs.

Well good luck finding some place where you can set up your own anarchy, because barring that you're always going to be facing "others attempting to regulate [your] life, and the lives of other people" based upon their religious beliefs (I use the adjective "religious" lightly, however-- rather than referring to some standard set of rules adopted by an organization, to mean as a particular type of worldview).

That's called government-- someone is in power (whether by election, or by force, or by default, ad infinitum), and it is upon their moral beliefs that a structure for a model moral society is formed. Government mirroring the morality of its makers, in other words.

Who is to judge what beliefs are right and wrong? You? Based upon...what? Your own beliefs? And how are those right? Proven through logic? What is logic? You can't even objectively prove the existence of logic because it requires logic to do so.

Here lies an infinitely cyclic system, one which leaves Machiavellians to sneak into power and use it to their own ends (whether they view it as "righteous" or not by their own beliefs) and which leaves the majority of the most thoughtful (and wisest) folk to spend their time in Greenwich Village coffee houses discussing everthing and nothing pertaining to truth and life.

Only through those discussions (whether your seventeen or in college is quite irrelevent) may we come close to anything resembling moral truth-- and, in turn, come close to a solution to this infinitely cyclic system.

This need of our "Greenwich Village coffee house"-discussions is barring, of course, a place of anarchy.

Let me know if you find it, will you? Very Happy
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:33 am
Re: Apatheism/ Another Way of Looking at Agnosticism
Phoenix32890 wrote:
For years, when people have asked me about my religious views, I would toss off the statement, "I don't know, and I really don't care". Until this morning, I never knew that there was a name for this belief.

Quote:
Apatheism is a portmanteau neologism (a haplology combining apathy with either atheist or theist) for the position that God may exist but is of no real importance to one's daily life. It was used by columnist Jonathan Rauch in The Atlantic Monthly in 2003. There is also a satiric web page with the title "The Church of Apatheism". There are also instances of the term being used on message boards and other Internet venues as early as July 2000.

Apatheism is not synonymous to atheism, but is rather a particular form of agnosticism, in the sense that it holds that the question whether or not God exists may be meaningfully asked, but is not worth asking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Quote:
There are four main roots of theology (we'll ignore the various ascetic, moral, dogmatic, etc. branches of theology and stick to the roots): theism, agnosticism, atheism, and apatheism - all of which answer to ideas of the existence of supreme beings. Simply put, theists don't deny, agnostics don't know, atheists don't believe, and apatheists don't care about the existence of gods.

Apatheists neither believe in nor deny the existence of gods. They simply aren't interested one way or the other. To Apatheists, the "god question" is profoundly unimportant. Even if there were a blatant, undisputed answer to the question, we would most likely go on living our lives the same ways we already do

http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Ginohn/cetera/apatheism.html

For the first time in my life, I have found a "label" that really fits. Do I care? Well, maybe a little. It just seems to fit me very comfortably. What do YOU think?

I think your continual participation in the Spirituality & Religion forum over a long period disqualifies you from credibly claiming disinterest. You are probably the only one who believes you don't care. I don't think anyone else is taken in by your claim.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:40 am
I'm not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:42 am
I don't think she cares what you think of her not caring.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:45 am
ossobuco wrote:

Exactly right. Except for rare occasions, I practically never discuss religion anywhere but on A2K.

What I DO care about, is the adverse impact that the politics of religion is making on all American citizens, no matter what their beliefs.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
Quote:

Actually, why would she go to the trouble of making this thread, if she didn't care what others thought?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:49 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Actually, why would she go to the trouble of making this thread, if she didn't care what others thought?

'Cause I thought that the subject was interesting, and I am definitely into "interesting", no matter where it takes me.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:53 am
I never meant any offense, I just kinda figured that your participation in the religion threads, meant that you had some sort of interest in the topic.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 10:55 am
In other words, Phoenix is curious about the world she lives in. Perhaps an unusual attitude but a wecolme on in our times.
0 Replies