Apatheism/ Another Way of Looking at Agnosticism

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:38 am
For years, when people have asked me about my religious views, I would toss off the statement, "I don't know, and I really don't care". Until this morning, I never knew that there was a name for this belief.

Quote:
Apatheism is a portmanteau neologism (a haplology combining apathy with either atheist or theist) for the position that God may exist but is of no real importance to one's daily life. It was used by columnist Jonathan Rauch in The Atlantic Monthly in 2003. There is also a satiric web page with the title "The Church of Apatheism". There are also instances of the term being used on message boards and other Internet venues as early as July 2000.

Apatheism is not synonymous to atheism, but is rather a particular form of agnosticism, in the sense that it holds that the question whether or not God exists may be meaningfully asked, but is not worth asking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism

Quote:
There are four main roots of theology (we'll ignore the various ascetic, moral, dogmatic, etc. branches of theology and stick to the roots): theism, agnosticism, atheism, and apatheism - all of which answer to ideas of the existence of supreme beings. Simply put, theists don't deny, agnostics don't know, atheists don't believe, and apatheists don't care about the existence of gods.

Apatheists neither believe in nor deny the existence of gods. They simply aren't interested one way or the other. To Apatheists, the "god question" is profoundly unimportant. Even if there were a blatant, undisputed answer to the question, we would most likely go on living our lives the same ways we already do

http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Ginohn/cetera/apatheism.html

For the first time in my life, I have found a "label" that really fits. Do I care? Well, maybe a little. It just seems to fit me very comfortably. What do YOU think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,040 • Replies: 42
No top replies

flushd

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:51 am
Laughing

I think it's hilarious, Phoenix.
Puuuuleazzze. Next we'll have a term for someone who believes they don't care but they really do care about the possibility of God which must be varifiable by modern science and arouse the sexuality.
Rolling Eyes

But hey, if you like it, that's cool :wink:
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:59 am
Quote:
I think it's hilarious, Phoenix.

flushd- You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I don't see where this concept is "hilarious". What I find hilarious, are some of the concepts propounded by the religious powers-that-be. What I find more hilarious, and really sad, is that many otherwise smart and sensible people buy into those ideas.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:00 am
I think its pretty funny, too. But consistent.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:19 am
Interesting, Phoenix. Thank you.

I think the idea sums up my thinking on the influence of god in my own life quite well.

I know what you mean about having a label - does it matter or not? It is nice to have a short-hand answer though, isn't it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:26 am
I'd comment, but i don't care enough . . .
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:21 pm
How is it pronounced?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:25 pm
Damned if I know. But I would take a stab at: aPAYtheeism.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:27 pm
I would think : ahpa thee ism
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:28 pm
You say to-may-to
I say to-mah-to! Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:33 pm
Ha!

I must have still been thinking when you were posting!

I thought it was a take on the word "apathy", meaning, of course, lack of interest, so I pronounced it as such with the "thy" extended to "theist".

I think you were doing it as a take on "atheist".

Am I right?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:17 pm
Phoenix,

Hi girl. Hope you are well. I think that if this is what you want for you and it makes you happy then I am happy for you.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:06 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Phoenix,

Hi girl. Hope you are well. I think that if this is what you want for you and it makes you happy then I am happy for you.

There's work for you at the UN, Momma.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:09 pm
Embarrassed That was such a nice thing to say, Snood. Thank you.

Only if I don't have to put the discussion I am having with Setanta in my resume though.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:22 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Embarrassed That was such a nice thing to say, Snood. Thank you.

Only if I don't have to put the discussion I am having with Setanta in my resume though.

It wasn't really that nice - you do know that, don't you?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:25 pm
Snood,

Well, I guess I don't. I thought you were saying something nice. Where did you and I get off on the wrong foot?

Now, I feel like a complete idiot. Second time you have hurt my feelings and I don't understand why.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
Just a little tiny bit of sarcasm, Ma. Part of me just cringes at the way you try sooooooo hard to be at peace with everybody. But I understand its well intended.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:35 pm
snood wrote:
Just a little tiny bit of sarcasm, Ma. Part of me just cringes at the way you try sooooooo hard to be at peace with everybody. But I understand its well intended.

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/confusedsmiley.gifI am now thoroughly confused. If I lash out at someone because of something, I am then accused of not behaving like a Christian. If I try hard to get along with everybody you cringe? NOTE TO SELF: Find some common ground in the middle of these two?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:49 pm
It'd have to be "apathy" with an -ism attached wouldn't it?

I like it Phoenix. I'll add it to my much maligned classification of atheist types. Very Happy
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 04:15 pm
It's not necessarily atheistic though. By definition, you can be theistic, agnostic or atheistic and be apatheistic. It merely means that concerning god, you just don't care.
0 Replies