Should Mankind use Technology to reintroduce species?

Dek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 08:04 am
As in many species interactions Mankind has a massive impact on other species. Over fishing of Mackerel has a major impact on many species that are linked to the Mackerels food chain.

We have become so evolutionary successful that our activities impact other species in ways outside the food chain cause and effect. The result is that due to our actions we have created the extinction of many species and will cause the extinctions of many more to come.

Cloning could give us a way to repair what damage we have done. Cloning poses many questions.

Do we reintroduce species that have been missing from certain areas? If we do, how long should they have been missing from the area?

What about the cloning and reintroduction of species that mankind has made extinct? This will be impossible in lots of cases due to a related issue of the introduction of non-native flora and fauna by Man. We simply cannot always put things back to the way they were before we had an impact, but in cases where we can, should we?

While it is undeniably wrong for a sentient species to bring to extinction another species, it is after all an act of Nature and our own evolution that got us here in the first place.

Ignoring the selfish reasons to stop extinctions (development of new drugs for example) the philosophical question that I'm asking is: -

Do we have the right to go against evolution just because it was our evolution that created the problem? Should we play God for a 2nd time?

Personally, I firmly believe that we have a duty to preserve the parts of world that we do not need to be a part of, and to preserve them as Nature intended them to be. Leaving things alone will allow nature to reclaim the environment. Left alone, with time Nature will reclaim the areas we destroy and manage itself. We can repair things like Bolivian Deforestation but I'm unsure far we should go with our technology to correct the mistakes of our ancestors.

What do you think? Back up your vote with an explanation.

DeK

This was brought about by reading this article on the cloning of endangered species

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6227
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,766 • Replies: 23
No top replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 08:38 am
My "no" vote is based on "reality".

First I would like to applaud your creation of this thread; it may become highly edifying, if emotion is not allowed to reign supreme.

I take issue with your comment ".......Nature intended them to be".

(I would definitely not use a capital "N"), and insist, nature does not "intend" anything; nature is a description of the biosphere, and is not an entity, and has no "intentions; nature just "is".

Picky perhaps, but anthropomorphosizing "nature" is a primary reason that the actual "nature" of nature is so broadly missunderstood.

Evolution on this planet, perhaps the most obvious, basic, and important "backbone" of nature, has I feel ended.

The many aspects of the natural environment which test for mutational validity are no longer in place. The human specie has rendered them ineffective, by overiding in the short term, those forces that would, in the long term produce possitive, or negative reproductive effects from a mutation. Permanently changed forever is, also, the timeframe itself; the hundreds of millions of years required for mutations to make noticeable alterations to a specie will no longer be available. In fact within the next few hundred years, at the rate we are going, this planet will be unable to support life, any life.

Granted, I hope, science and a major change in human priorities, could allow some retardation of this process, but biology is now at a crossroads, and in my opinion the wisest road to travel is to replace nature, not restore it.

An honest appraisal of the natural process; consume other species, kill or be killed, compete, compete, compete....should fuel an appetite for change.
Nuture itself contains the seeds of its own destruction; killing each other over property, reproductive "rights", heirarchical power, etc., makes no sense, it is just the way we are; the way we have had to have been in order to survive in the "natural"environment.
Who would vote for a politician who espoused these ideals?
It is time for a change.

But I will offer another "no";
Should we take the rest of nature with us if we can avoid it - NO!
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 09:21 am
BoGoWo wrote:

First I would like to applaud your creation of this thread; it may become highly edifying, if emotion is not allowed to reign supreme.

Thanks, I agree this could be a very interesting topic if its debated and not responded to emotionally.

Quote:

I take issue with your comment ".......Nature intended them to be".

(I would definitely not use a capital "N"), and insist, nature does not "intend" anything; nature is a description of the biosphere, and is not an entity, and has no "intentions; nature just "is".

I actually agree with you that nature just is, I was stimulating discussion by providing a balance and constructive question rather than filling the thread with my own personal opinion.

When I talk about Nature I am not refering to mother nature but to the nature that is everthing natural, the universe, trees etc. That nature is such an emense thing that I feel it deserves a capital N for that reason alone! Smile But from mankinds perspective the very existance of Nature does give it entity like qualities, we refer to it in just such a way all the time (maybe we find it easier to handle to concept that way Wink )

Quote:
Evolution on this planet, perhaps the most obvious, basic, and important "backbone" of nature, has I feel ended.

In the short history of our species Homo sapiens have evolved within the species, we have become taller, we reach puberty at an earlier age, one could argue that technology itself is a branch of evolution. Evolution may also exists in nature (note the small n here! Wink ) it just takes place at such a phenomenally slow rate that we cannot perceive it.

There's an interesting post relating to this very subject here http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/postmonth/jul00.html

Quote:
Granted, I hope, science and a major change in human priorities, could allow some retardation of this process, but biology is now at a crossroads, and in my opinion the wisest road to travel is to replace nature, not restore it.

I concur although I was using extinction as an extrapolation of endangered, the question
Quote:
Do we have the right to go against evolution just because it was our evolution that created the problem? Should we play God for a 2nd time?

Maybe I should have asked "Should Mankind use technology to reintroduce extinct and/or endangered species?" Endangered yes, recently extinct due to mankind yes, extinct due to nature, no.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 09:29 am
In fact I've edited my first post and change
Quote:
Should Mankind use Cloning to reintroduce extinct species?
to
Quote:
Should Mankind use technology to reintroduce species?

This has messed up our votes though, sorry BoGoWo, but I suspect that you would have voted for Yes Endangered anyway judging by this comment

Quote:
in my opinion the wisest road to travel is to replace nature

And I would have voted for Yes both with the caveat that the species should be recently extinct and have been caused by mankind not nature.

So if you're ok with that I think the poll still does reflect our views

For the record, the votes after the mess up were

Yes Endangered
50% [ 1 ]
Yes Both
50% [ 1 ]
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 09:46 am
It seems I was correct about the potential of this thread;
and, by the way, welcome to A2K.

Actually you are wrong, I would have voted for, hmmm, lets see now:

Should Mankind use technology to reintroduce extinct and/or endangered species?

Yes Extinction 0% [ 0 ]
Yes Endagered 50% [ 1 ]
Yes Both 50% [ 1 ]
No Extinction 0% [ 0 ]
No Endagered 0% [ 0 ]
No Both 0% [ 0 ]
Don't Know 0% [ 0 ]

Hmmm, aren't Yes Extinction, and No Endangered the same, as are
Yes En.. and No Ex..? Whatever; I would have voted no both, with the caveat that the science of cloning etc. which would be used for this process is well worth pursuing for other purposes, and for knowledge alone.

And as for the voting, no problem; here at A2k we tend to vote with our commentary, not with our "clicks" (clicks are so black and white and impersonal).

Also I loved your comment re evolution:
"one could argue that technology itself is a branch of evolution."
Here, here good point, if a little licencious with actual scientific definitions.
And thanks for the link; I will munch on it later at leisure.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 09:57 am
Yep you're right about the the poll BoGoWo, a bit of brain fade for me there.

I've deleted to extra pointless options without impacting the poll itself.

but anyway as you said its the commentary that's the important bit
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 10:14 am
QUESTION:

CAN mankind use technology to reintroduce species?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 10:15 am
Yeh, well, I look forward to seeing what the "poll" looks like next time I come to visit!
Speaking of two (weren't we?), as in "oo"'s in too, and cows that go "moo".

Couldn't resist; I digress........ (a lot)

It helps me to pretend to be thinking!
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 01:22 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
QUESTION:

CAN mankind use technology to reintroduce species?

Given the attached article which states

Quote:
Scientists have for the first time created a healthy clone of an endangered species, offering powerful evidence that cloning technology can play a role in preserving and even reconstituting threatened and endangered species.

The clone -- a cattlelike creature known as a Javan banteng, native to Asian jungles -- was grown from a single skin cell taken from a captive banteng before it died in 1980. The cell was one of several that had remained frozen in a vial at the San Diego Zoo until last year, when they were thawed as part of an experimental effort to make cloned banteng embryos.

Lets assume with future advances all we need is a sample of DNA to begin the cloning, al la Jurassic Park!

So yes, lets say we can use technology to reintroduce species, and more, in the future we will be able to bring extinct species.

It's not too far a stretch of the imagination that we could introduce DNA characteristics of an extinct species into an existing species in the same genus and then use selective breeding to create a "pure strain" (I hate the terminology, sounds very Nazi like)

In fact I recall a selective breeding process in South Africa that attempted to do a similar thing with a type of gazelle

DeK
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 01:24 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
It helps me to pretend to be thinking!

I'm pretending to chew the cud
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 01:30 pm
I wish I cud.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 09:33 pm
My answer is no on all counts. There are enough people on the planet and not enough space left for the animals that are out there since the forests keep being cut down.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 09:41 pm
I pretty much say no it's a tough call. Our intervention might be missing with the Ol'natural selection process. Really we are to shortsighted to understand millions of years of changes.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 12:58 pm
I guess the question now is what will the scientists do?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 02:40 pm
DeK

Thanks for the info that scientists actually CAN reintroduce extinct species. Wow!

Should they?

Hummm...I guess I'd rather they spend their time and resources trying to prevent any currently living species from going extinct.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 02:43 pm
Anybody ever see Jurassic Park?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 02:52 pm
No they should not but it is a good bet that it will happen. Death or extinction is an integral part of life and evolution. The clearing away of one species make way for something else. We should not be messing with the process, we don't know enough about it to do so wisely.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:22 pm
We might add a few more options to the poll:

-- We should use technology to actively destroy species, encouraging monocultures instead.
-- Create new and improved species, as slight variations of existing ones.
-- Create new and improved species, with radically new designs.
-- Homo Sapiens is an endangered species, let's fix our own stupidity through genetics.

Like it or not, the first two options are being done on a large scale already.
"...more than half of the world's soybeans and a third of its corn now contain genes spliced in from other forms of life".

I'm still searching for that article showing how chlorophyll genes can be added to any living cell. We can actually create green people who photosynthesize the sun directly, without effecting any other bodily functions.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:33 pm
Quote:
Hummm...I guess I'd rather they spend their time and resources trying to prevent any currently living species from going extinct.

The benefit of hindsight.....they have a lot to answer for!
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:35 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
it is a good bet that it will happen.

I agree, the article I read didn't even stop to consider if they should al la Jurasic Park....
0 Replies