Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:09 am
I've dumped it for other reasons, Boss, but cherish as much contempt for the priestly caste as do you . . .
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:10 am
For those who like fiction the bible is a good read.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:47 am
Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
Here we have a new member who describes him- or herself as a helpless teen, asks a series of question which display a serious dependence upon superstitious fear, and which also display monumental ignorance, and what kind of reaction do we get from the god squad. We get a load of crap to suggest that there is any scripture which mentions "the rapture" (it is not mentioned in the accepted canon, it is a creation of the perfervid fantasies of modern fundamentalists), and suggestions that he/she go to this or that site to be filled up with more superstitious nonsense.

You people are a buncha spiritual ghouls . . .

Set, if you had read the link I posted, you would have seen that it said the Bible does not use the word rapture. I never said it did. I was just trying to show helplessteen just one of the explanations I have come across and then suggested he/she do some research.

And you wonder why people think you hate Christians and Christianity?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:55 pm
Momma, our poster is not all that new. She has not made many posts but her earlier ones were on a different board. She was helpless because of an issue she was facing with her parents.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:57 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
And you wonder why people think you hate Christians and Christianity?

Don't make shyt up MOAN--i not only don't wonder about that, i'd wonder about the mental competence of anyone who didn't rapidly come to the conclusion that i hate christianity. Anyone who thinks i therefore hate all christians is simply being paranoid and self-serving.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:04 pm
Well, Set, I will remember that the next time you jump all over someone for saying you hate Christianity. I can accept you might not hate all Christians.

Also, I will try to rearrange my thinking about what the dictionary says about contemptuous. I will try not to apply despise to the definition when I think about you telling us you are contemptuous.

I don't need to make up a thing Set. The words came out of your own posts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
No that's a lie on your part. In none of my posts prior to your little foray had i stated that i hate christianity. I am amused to see that you responded to a post which did not name you, but did refer to "spiritual ghouls." If the shoe fits, huh?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:44 pm
Setanta wrote:
No that's a lie on your part. In none of my posts prior to your little foray had i stated that i hate christianity. I am amused to see that you responded to a post which did not name you, but did refer to "spiritual ghouls." If the shoe fits, huh?

Set,

You have totally missed my point. You spew out all these negative, derogatory words and then get upset when someone takes them as hateful. Then, you say you are not hateful (hate), you are contemptuous. I looked up the word contempt/contemptuous. It has the word despise in it as part of the definition. If you despise something, then don't you hate it?

Now, how am I not supposed to believe you hate Christianity when you, yourself said you are contemptuous of it?

If you hate it, then you hate it! So what? Some do, some don't. I hate the fact that you use the words you do to describe my God. It won't stop you, will it? Won't change a thing, will it?

But, I admit I hate you do it. What is the big deal? You think because you don't use the word that your feelings don't come across? If that is the case, then I have given you far too much credit.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:12 pm
MA; Set and I seem to be in agreement on these observations:
Pascal wrote:
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Will Durant wrote:
Theologies are proved or disproved in history by competitive slaughter or fertility.
But perhaps not on this:
Voltaire wrote:
Religion, you say has produced countless misfortunes; say rather the superstition which reigns on our unhappy globe. This is the cruelest enemy of the pure worship due to the supreme being.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:57 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
You have totally missed my point.

Oh, i saw the point you were attempting to make, i simply deny it.

Quote:
You spew out all these negative, derogatory words and then get upset when someone takes them as hateful.

"Spew" is a carefully calculated description. In fact, i am writing here, not "spewing." Yes, i routinely derogate organized religion, and those who act as shills for the nonsense promoted by organized religion. It is a completely false statement that i get upset when someone takes the remarks as hateful--i don't hate god, because i know of no such creature to exist, and so i deny such a contention when it is made. I don't hate the religiously devout simply on the basis of being so constituted, my contempt for the religious is specific to the expression of religious belief by any specific individual. What we have in operation here is what is known in statistics as the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances. You take note of anything i write which you can remotely construe as "hateful" with regard to religion. However, you ignore all of the occassions (of which there are literally thousands) when something of a religious character is posted at this site and to which i do not respond--so you are thereby enabled to make a false case that i habitually "attack" christians. It is only a certain species of christians i criticize.

Quote:
Then, you say you are not hateful (hate), you are contemptuous.

This is a gross misrepresentation--i said to that hateful mope John Creasy that i was not angry, only contemptuous. I am not in the least surprised, however, to see you attempt to practice a distortion, you do it so often.

Quote:
I looked up the word contempt/contemptuous.

I'm so proud of you. It's good that you attempt to dispell your benighted ignorance of common words in this language.

Quote:
It has the word despise in it as part of the definition.

This is not necessarily so:

con·temp·tu·ous
adj.

Manifesting or feeling contempt; scornful

. -- from Answers-dot-com

contemptuous
A adjective
1 contemptuous, disdainful, insulting, scornful
expressing extreme contempt

-- from Wordreference-dot-com

Adjective: contemptuous kun'tempchoous

1. Expressing extreme contempt
- disdainful, insulting, scornful

-- from Wordwebonline-dot-com

These are the first three entries from a google search for the word contemptuous. The word despise does not appear. No doubt one can find a definition including the word despise, but i am not bound by a definition which does not describe my attitude to the superstitious fairy stories of the organized religions, which i hold in contempt. Therefore, this . . .

Quote:
If you despise something, then don't you hate it?

-- is completely irrelevant to me and what i have written.

Quote:
Now, how am I not supposed to believe you hate Christianity when you, yourself said you are contemptuous of it?

What you do or do not believe is a matter of indifference to me. As you well know that i hold your superstitious beliefs in contempt, you might well imagine--if you are possessed of an imagination--that i'm equally indifferent to your opinion on this matter.

Quote:
If you hate it, then you hate it!

Tautology is meaningless when you have failed to make your case.

Quote:
Some do, some don't.

The passions of others are, generally speaking, a matter of as much indifference to me as are yours.

Quote:
I hate the fact that you use the words you do to describe my God.

You have your own personal deity? Is that to be considered consonant with christian charity? Does your imaginary friend differ from the imaginary friends of others? Are you able to demonstrate that your imaginary friend is either different from or identical to the imaginary friends of others? Actually, don't bother--i'm not interested in your imaginary friend. I am concerned, however, with the pernicious effects that imaginary friend superstitions have on society. As for what you may or many not hate, see my remarks above, about the passions of others.

Quote:
It won't stop you, will it? Won't change a thing, will it?

It certainly will not, given that i have no respect for your superstitions.

Quote:
But, I admit I hate you do it. What is the big deal? You think because you don't use the word that your feelings don't come across? If that is the case, then I have given you far too much credit.

What you are willing or unwilling to credit me with is a matter of as little import to me as are your passions. This is an internet forum, you haven't the least notion of what my feelings are, nor what place, if any, your imaginary friend superstition has in my life. I am not in the least surprised, however, to see you violate the injunction of your own superstition, that which enjoins you not to judge, lest you be judged yourself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:59 pm
No, Neo, i was never terribly impressed by Voltaire . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:43 pm
He did have a distinguished relationship with the clergy, however.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:47 pm
That's another mark against him . . . he was a shameless mooch, too. Frederick II of Prussia brought him to Potsdam, because they had been friends and correspondents for many years. Voltaire immediately began ham-handed efforts to interfer in international diplomacy, and started living in the style to which he hoped to become accustomed. Frederick eventually grew rather sour with him, and sent him home . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:50 pm
Rapture over, eh?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:03 pm
Set,

You make my point very well for me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:00 pm
You have no point, you simply have paranoid delusions which you wish to project one anyone who does not kiss the ass of your imaginary friend . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:15 pm
Oh, I feel the love now!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif

I made numerous attempts to get along with you Set. I agree with hardly anything you say you believe, but I tried to get along with you. I offered an olive branch and you used it for firewood against me.

I wish no fight with you or anyone else. But, I'm not taking anymore of your contempt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:18 pm
Do your worst, your hypocricy doesn't frighten me. You say that you agree with hardly anything that i say i believe, but i've not stated what my beliefs are, i've just pointed out the nonsense which i do not believe. I care not one whit whether or not you "tried to get along," as i am contemptuous of your imaginary friend superstition, and therefore can do as well without your goodwill. You continue to stalk me from thread to thread, but you're a fool if you think that's going to do me an iota of harm.

Here ya go, demonstrate to me what you will do now that you won't take any more of my contempt.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
Do your worst, your hypocricy doesn't frighten me. You say that you agree with hardly anything that i say i believe, but i've not stated what my beliefs are, i've just pointed out the nonsense which i do not believe. I care not one whit whether or not you "tried to get along," as i am contemptuous of your imaginary friend superstition, and therefore can do as well without your goodwill. You continue to stalk me from thread to thread, but you're a fool if you think that's going to do me an iota of harm.

Here ya go, demonstrate to me what you will do now that you won't take any more of my contempt.

Set,

First of all, not following you from thread to thread. I stick pretty much to the Spirituality & Religion one, as I think you know. Where I post has nothing to do with you.

Uh, wasn't trying to frighten you. Was just telling you I am offended by the words you use to describe my God and my beliefs.

Let me ask you something Set, suppose I were Mexican or black, or Asian, and you used racial slurs against me? What's the difference here, Set? This is just religious discrimination.

And oh, you don't have to tell me exactly what it is you do believe. You have gotten that message across loud and clear.

Oh, and by the way, thought you didn't hate all Christians? ....as i am contemptuous of your imaginary friend superstition, and therefore can do as well without your goodwill.

Sounds like that is the reason you are stating for your attitude toward me.
Now, how about we stop this nonsense?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:37 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
First of all, not following you from thread to thread. I stick pretty much to the Spirituality & Religion one, as I think you know. Where I post has nothing to do with you.

You've been commenting on my posts every day for days now, and more often than not, commenting on remarks which were not addressed to you and did not refer to you. In another thread, you accused me of dishing it out but not being able to take it. You are the one who has given this the character of a fist fight. Fist fights don't frighten me, and never have--not in the real world, and certainly not among the dancing electrons.

Quote:
Uh, wasn't trying to frighten you. Was just telling you I am offended by the words you use to describe my God and my beliefs.

What was the point of your ridiculous assertion to the effect: "I'm not taking anymore [sic] of your contempt"? I don't give a rat's ass if you are offended by the manner in which i express my contempt for your imaginary friend superstition. "Your God," once again? This is your personal deity? Does anyone else get to worship your imaginary friend, or just you?

Quote:
Let me ask you something Set, suppose I were Mexican or black, or Asian, and you used racial slurs against me? What's the difference here, Set? This is just religious discrimination.

This is a complete strawman. I've not used racial or ethnic epithets. The difference is that a Mexican or a black does not choose their nationality or their skin color--but a self-promoting religious hypocrit has assumed that role very much by choice. Is that discrimination? Certainly, one discriminates all day every day between that which they wish to have and that which they eschew. I cannot stand the stench of religious hypocricy, so i heap scorn upon the practice. Were you not a practitioner, you would not be in the line of fire.

Quote:
And oh, you don't have to tell me exactly what it is you do believe. You have gotten that message across loud and clear.

No, that is completely specious. You assume you know when you don't, and you assume the worst. And, as i've pointed out again and again, what you believe on this topic is a matter of indifference to me.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, thought you didn't hate all Christians? ....as i am contemptuous of your imaginary friend superstition, and therefore can do as well without your goodwill.

Very clumsy composition on your part there. I don't hate all christians, and you are not entitled to claim that you are typical of all christians.

Quote:
Sounds like that is the reason you are stating for your attitude toward me.
Now, how about we stop this nonsense?

Now you're really crackin' me up . . . you want to get the last word in, and then propose that "we stop this nonsense." That's rich. Don't count on it. Every time you crack wise with me, you're gonna get it back, in spades. People like you are walking insults to decent christians everywhere.
0 Replies