Who is W.G.B. ??

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:36 pm
This has probably been posted before but as a new member of this forum i was wondering who is W.G.B. that appears so regularly on my desk calendar with its daily quotes? His quotations are usually humorous but pretty well on the mark . Smile

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:50 pm
What desktop calendar do you use? "W.G.B." doesn't ring any bells here - how about an example or 2?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:58 pm
I think it could be Gwendolyn Brooks.

Can you give us one of the quotes?
0 Replies

fingers47

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:24 pm
quote "when you dig...be careful where you throw the dirt" hang on i'm trying to find others as i'm not at work at the moment Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 06:31 pm
Dunno 'bout Gwendolyn Brooks - could be mebbe, I guess, but I think her middle iniial was "E". If I recall correctly, "Elizabeth" was her middle name ... could be wrong - too lazy to check it out at the moment.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 06:35 pm
Great Western Blart?
0 Replies

fingers47

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:10 pm
no spendius you are thinking of "Great Western Brut" LOL Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:33 pm
Her middle name was, indeed, Elizabeth.

Back to the drawing board.....

We need more quotes, fingers (are you in the mafia or do you play piano or what? With a name like fingers you have to be a safe cracker (isn't that a yeg?) or something).

I found some middling reference to some company called WGB signs when I did a seach under WGB and inspirational but all the links were kind of nutty.

Then I read the digging dirt stuff and though... hmmm... maybe they're not so "inspirational" after all.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 08:02 am
The only place I could find the quote was here: http://www.three-peaks.net/quotes03.htm and according to that site, the full quote is:

It is always commendable to get in and dig. But be careful where you throw the dirt. -- Author Unknown
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 08:05 am
I suspect all the quotes will turn out to be by that feller named Anonymous. In which case, WGB stands for something other than a person's name. World's Great ...uh...somethingorother?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 08:27 am
William Jennings Bryant?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 08:29 am
Noddy24 wrote:
William Jennings Bryant?

Willaim Gennings Bryant Question
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:45 am
Could it be W.G.B. Liebrand?
Could it be W.G.B. Liebrand?

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:30 am
My mind starts slowly on chilly mornings, but my ego can still charge right out and blather in public.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 07:35 am
For fingers47 if you are still interested.....

Assuming you are in Oz, I can remember reading about the man whose job it was to compile all the quotes for the diaries (I think he worked for W.C. Penfolds or one of the other big stationery publishers). Anyway, this man would collect quotes from everywhere and when he did not have enough he started slipping his own in.

This is going back over 20 years ago - I am 99% sure it was WGB.

If you are not from Oz - disregard the above.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:55 pm
Re: Who is W.G.B. ??
fingers47 wrote:
This has probably been posted before but as a new member of this forum i was wondering who is W.G.B. that appears so regularly on my desk calendar with its daily quotes? His quotations are usually humorous but pretty well on the mark . Smile

I think it's WGP, not B.

W.G.P. is a gentleman by the name of Willam George Plunkett who worked for the Collins company for nearly 40 years.
He worked in the print room and oversaw the production of the refills. Over
the years he wrote his own quotes and they started appearing in the product.
He died in 1975 and Collins have continued the tradition of including some
of his quotes on a Wednesday. (Thanks to Rodney Quinn for this information).
http://www1.tpg.com.au/users/schleter/res_wgp.htm
A wishbone has never taken the place of a backbone. -- W.G.P.
One trouble with political jokes is that they sometimes get elected. -- W.G.P.
People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open. -- W.G.P.

P
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:08 am
Pauligirl--

Good research. Thank you.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
Pauligirl
APPLAUSE! Pauligirl

BBB
0 Replies

fingers47

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:11 am
Pauligirl You are a marvel Very Happy Thank you so much for this ............... I realize it was approx 4 months have gone past since I started this topic, and I have not replied .................................. I forgot I asked the Question Embarrassed Again thank you and you are assuredly correct Very Happy
0 Replies

Beck969

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2012 11:29 pm
@fingers47,
Not really sure you can rely on the manufacturer of the calendar...the following quote was also attributed to W.G.P.

"Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy" - Isaac Newton actually made this quote
0 Replies