Canadian beer

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:43 am
I was in a pub near UT waiting for my girlfriend. She comes into the pub, asks me what I'm drinking. "Molsen Canadian" I tell her. She gives me that "what the heck?" look. She says, "You know we think about that the way you think about Fosters?" I shake my head. She orders something else. The barmaid nods at her and glances at me and gives her a sympathetic look.

What is wrong with Molsen Canadian? I like it. I also like Moose and Labatt Blue and that stuff in the red can from Nova Scotia (at least I think it was in the red can and I'm pretty sure it was from NS).

I'm not a beer snob but can anyone help me out here? I will still defiantly walk down into the "Jersey Giant" and order a very big Molsen Canadian without regard to any loss of cachet but I would like some ideas about how to defend myself.

Fosters indeed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,378 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:22 am
Mention that it is none of her feckin business.

Joe(does she help you adjust the length of your skirt?)Nation
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:11 am
Joe - I'm looking for help, not a brawl. You I can handle, her - I have no hope.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:52 am
Cool Razz

Joe(Yes. She is here as well.)Nation

PS But seriously, does she see nonFosters as unpatriotic?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:35 am
Gee, goodfielder, I like Molsens's too. And here I am, two hours from BC, and I never see it in bars... must be that Empire thing...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:11 pm
I'm still scratching my head over it Wy. I hope shortly to conduct another field test to see what the story is. I'm too late to apply for an academic grant. I might see if I can get a tax deduction though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:16 pm
You drink Canadian?

Confused

Oh well, I'm sure you're all right in any case.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 06:06 am
See! What is it? What's wrong with drinking Canadian?

Actually I'm not all right ehBeth but that's another issue. I'm just wondering about the put-down of Canadian. I like it. Oh well, I shall just have to put up with the knowing sneers from different bar people.

Perhaps I don't want to know now. I can stand the sneers, I just don't want to know what the sneerers are thinking.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:51 am
GF, perhaps I should clarify. Here in the Northwest, I'm in the epicenter of microbrews. I don't like 'em. Gimme a nice cold Budweiser and I'm happy; trouble is, the places my friends want to be only have the micros available. If I can get Cider, I'll settle. But most of the time I'm stuck drinking gin! Poor me!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:34 am
ummmmmmmm, well I think Canadian just tastes blah

there are so many good flavourful options that ordering Canadian is just kinda depressing

i will order one if there's really nothing other than Blue available but those would be desperate times
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:45 am
To me it's like a choice between Bud and Sam Adams. I want some kind of flavor not just carbonation. In Vancouver if the choice is between Canadian and Okanagan Premium Lager...no contest
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:01 pm
panzade wrote:
In Vancouver if the choice is between Canadian and Okanagan Premium Lager...no contest

Okay, "no contest," but which one wins?

It's a good question, GF, and I don't know the answer ... but I can tell you I like Molsen very much. (But I also like Bud Lite, so what does that say about me?) In fact, I'm not sure I've met a beer I didn't like.

Perhaps it's similar to when you're in the Netherlands and Heineken is NOT the most popular beer, contrary to US marketing. Or in England when they think of American beer, they think of Rolling Rock.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:15 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
panzade wrote:
In Vancouver if the choice is between Canadian and Okanagan Premium Lager...no contest

Okay, "no contest," but which one wins?.

You're riight..obtuse post. I meant Sam is to Bud as Okanagan is to Canadian. I like the flavor of Okanagan and Sam Adams.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:16 pm
Gotcha. Never heard of Okanagan.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:18 pm
Guess it just carries a poor image there.

Fosters is crap no matter how you look at it. I wouldn't order it in US or Australia.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:20 pm
The Sleeman brewery in BC puts out various flavors of Okanagan Ale but they're bigger than a microbrew
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:12 pm
Tico I almost agree with you about not meeting a beer I didn't like. Until I tried a dark beer from Thailand. Now I'm not picky, I like Singha but I was in Melbourne and ordered a dark beer I hadn't heard of while I was having dinner in a Thai restaurant. It was simply the worst beer I have ever had. It wasn't "off" it was just awful in taste. I can't remember its name. The counsellor said that was because of the trauma.

Okanagan. Is it available outside of BC or is it too local?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:39 pm
I like Labatts in Canada better than the states, and I also like those Smirnoff drink thingys in Canada better than the states. But that's just me.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:49 pm
Sleeman Brewers might be a seperate company.

http://www.okspring.com/better.html
0 Replies

karlee

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:14 am
Molsen's okay in my book
Hey - I'm a little late to join the conversation, but Molsen Canadian is my favorite beer. Just wanted you to know you're not the only Molsen fan out there. Smile
0 Replies