WINZIP and WINFIX

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 10:56 pm
About 6 months ago I had a terrible problem with a pop-up named WINZIP - yes, the same name as a popular product. Friends were telling me, however, that the two WINZIPs were different - and the one I was having problems with was actually spy-ware. After much difficulty I was able to get rid of it.

But now the same is happening with a pop-up named ZIP FIX. What am I dealing with here? Are these the well-known companies, or is the name merely a disguise? They come on suddenly, and there isn't much the viewer can do but close down. Can someone explain what is happening?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 531 • Replies: 1
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:05 pm
WinZip and ZipFix are legitimate applications, but that doesn't necessarilly mean anything when yuckware is considered. Could you provide more detail as to the text of the popups and the circumstances of their occurrence? Have you tried right-clicking within the popup window and selecting "Properties" to see if there might be a clue to the window's origin? Have you looked under "Processes" in Task Manager to see if there are any suspicious entries coincident with the appearance of those popups?

A well tested procedure for the discovery and preliminary cleanup of yuckware may be found HERE. In the event you decide to follow through with that approach, just continue your relevant feedback on this thread; I'll keep an eye out to see if you reply here. Might take me a while to respond - I do have other things to do - but I'm pretty good about keeping track of this sorta stuff.

Also, if you do wish to pursue the issue here on A2K, you might find it convenient to click "Turn on email updates" down at the bottom right of this page; doing so will cause a notification to be sent to you whan this thread receives a reply.
0 Replies