jstark

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:40 pm
litlek wrote:
I know this is a silly, lighthearted thread, but I would like to know what the difference is between cultishness (looks like cuttlefish) and religiosity.

The difference in my opinion is that a cult is an inwardly focused group that has an esoteric belief structure coupled with an agenda for the world. A cult is designed to create pariahs out it's members while at the same time promoting a social cohesion between cult members. This leads to an us against them mentality where cult members view the rest of the world as "the other" at best or "the enemy" at worst. Cults are also typically formed around a single charismatic leader who makes fantastical claims of divinity or some such connections to supernatural powers. spiritual enlightenment through a cult is generally one of a neurotic craving to transcend reality rather than deal with it. When taken to the extreme this can lead to complete psychotic schism or breakdown. If the cult framework is strong enough, psychotics can rise to the top of a cults hierarchy and function for extended periods of time. See Scientology as an extreme example of every claim here. Also the Unification Church (Moonies), David Koresh's church of whatever, many others.

Religion seeks to fulfill an aspect of human nature that is deeper than the superficiality of cultish belief structures. Religion speaks to an aspect of human nature, cults speak to an aspect of human psychology. I'm not really sure how to explain religion, you know it when you find it. I think religion can bring someone a sense of peace that cults are simply incapable of.

-J
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:44 pm
Still not really seeing the difference. I understand your words, but don't really see them translating into what I see in my life.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:59 pm
littlek wrote:
Still not really seeing the difference. I understand your words, but don't really see them translating into what I see in my life.

I suspect that is because you view everything as if it fit the description of a cult?

-J
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:12 pm
Well..... no. But, I know a little about scientology and a little about catholicism. They are vastly different in practice, but maybe not so much in the ways you point out. It'll take me a day, maybe, to process my thoughts.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:16 pm
I make my two teenage daughters and Mr B sit through 'family dinner' as often as I have the willpower to cook. Mr B's contribution to tonight's family dinner conversation was the current issue of South Park. "OMG", I said (to parrot Lash), "Slappy Doo Hoo posted a thread on A2K about that very episode. My entire family looked at me as if I was retarded (to parrot Slappy) and couldn't wait to hear about Slappy and Doo WHO? and have I ever seen South Park (only the Mormon episode)?

Thanks, Slappy! I was able to keep up with my entire family tonight at dinner Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:23 pm
psst... cult vs religion thread here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63686&highlight=
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:30 pm
littlek wrote:

I'll post on that thread in the morning. Great thread idea.

-J
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:21 pm
I'm glad to hear my name is being brought up at dinner tables.

Only reason I can keep up with this show now is On Demand DVR...like Tivo. I barely watch tv now too, and can program my tv to record certain shows. Nice. South Park, Family Guy, and Drawn Together. Ones that make my IQ drop after every viewing.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:38 pm
Not just dinner tables, but family dinner tables! You're name has been discussed over my dinner table more than once.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:40 am
Interesting. I, too, have heard people say, "Slappy do WHO?" I say it myself sometimes.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:47 pm
scientology is definitely a cult. It kinda reminds me of theosophy, which heavily influenced the nazis and their occult beleifs.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:09 am
littlek wrote:
Not just dinner tables, but family dinner tables! You're name has been discussed over my dinner table more than once.

Now why has "Slappy Doo Hoo" been discussed at your dinner table?

Is this after you and your roomates have pillow underwear fights, and you say "man, too bad we didn't invite Slappy Doo Hoo!"

On cnn.com: "Did 'South Park' go too far in poking fun at Tom Cruise? CNN's Sibila Vargas reports (November 18)"

Video clip on this page;
http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/

C'MON! Awwwww....POOR Tom Cruise! If he sues, he's such a pansy.

And did they go too far? Uh, they portrayed Sally Struthers as Jabba the Hutt, and they had Timmy and Jimmy have a "cripple fight" outside a grocery store. Stan jerked off his dog. They've done much worse.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
what can i say, i said Scientology was celebrated for being litigious, didn't i? if he sues, you can bet it's Scientology telling him to sue.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:02 pm
So, if we converted to Scientology...they would let us in their secret, nutty biorhythm rooms and tell us the Zoltran story...?

Someone should do this and report back.

I vote kicky.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:01 pm
Slappy, Dasha and I have surely (hehe, I typo'd 'surly') spoken of you over the table. What about? I can't remember, prolly about stuff you'd posted on A2K.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:10 pm
I know, how I'm the coolest...like, ever.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:11 pm
Totally.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:31 pm
I always wanted to be a scientologist but I could never afford the lobotomy.
0 Replies

timidlady

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 11:35 am
@Green Witch,
It's kind of like when Robert Wilson said he gave up Catholicism by prancing around saying strike me dead. When God didn't, he felt quite proud and said it was exhilarating to know the freedom there was no God. I would be careful with that. I think one could say, God not responding is a powerful statement He is. What deity would respond to a piss ant like Wilson, might be a response (to strike him dead would mean Wilson was the God for God did his bidding). Just sayin'.
0 Replies

pham

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 02:57 pm
does anyone know if there are Scientologists in Saskatchewan?