boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:05 am
Quote:
In Scientology no one is asked to accept anything as belief or on faith.

I'm no expert but doens't Scientology have something to do with alien ghosts or some such clap-trap?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 10:11 am
boomerang wrote:
Quote:
In Scientology no one is asked to accept anything as belief or on faith.

I'm no expert but doens't Scientology have something to do with alien ghosts or some such clap-trap?

Dunno. I grabbed that quote from their website. Didn't bother to delve further, as I wanted to keep my lunch down.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:54 pm
I did some reading on Wikipedia and it does have to do with aliens. They have a creation story for the earth with an alien who travels in a spaceship that looks like a normal passenger plane. He drops a bunch of bombs into volcanos or something and this sets off a chain reaction that brings life to the earth. Stuff like that. I suppose very Hubbardian, but I was never a fan of his so I can't say. Some of what I said may have been a little inaccurate, but the info is on Wikipedia.

Dauer
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:34 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
It's funny, all these things were in the South Park episode: Stan was in a state of depression when he joined...it cost him $240...and he found out the leaders were getting rich off of it. Who knew that show could be so educational?

Does Isaac Hayes still do Chef? IH was devoted to Scientology, last I heard, so surprises me that South Park would lampoon it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:59 pm
I have no idea. You'd think anyone involved in that show wouldn't be easily offended, since they make it a point to make fun of pretty much everyone/everything.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:15 pm
hm, at radaronline, whatever that is, they say,

(We suspect Chef will be sitting this one out. A rep for Isaac Hayes, who supplies the voice of South Park's horny cook and who happens to be a Scientologist, said her client hadn't heard about the plot and that she didn't "think Chef was even in it.")

see no evil, maybe. you make a good point about the show, SDH, but the way Scientology & Tom Cruise get ridiculed--you'd think they're Republicans or something (what is Cruise's politics, anyway?)--they might take it a little personally; plus the Church of Scientology is "celebrated" for being litigious.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:18 pm
Who are republicans...South Park creators, or Tom Cruise? I know South Park has made fun of the Iraq war too.

Yea, Chef wasn't even in last night's episode, now you mention it. They had John Travolta in the show too. He got in the closet with Cruise.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:24 pm
nah, not cruise. he's a good democrat. there's a web page where you type in last name/first name, and it tells you how much the individual donated to which party.

wish i'd seen the show. Sad
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:25 pm
when i lived in torono in the 80's, we used to walk by there street level offices on yonge street, there would be these guys out front asking if you wanted to take personality tests, we usually just told them we had no personalities so the exercise would be pointless
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:30 pm
they did that in the 70's in Hollywood, CA. and from what i've read, no matter how you filled out the test, they'd tell you that you should get audited (by a scientologist, not the IRS)

Cruise supposedly couldn't read before taking up scientology, so they must have given him the test orally. (and no pun intended)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:35 pm
When I attended Scientology "services", or whatever is the proper word for it, nobody once asked for money of any of us. The process known as "going clear" was mapped out in the literature, and people were encouraged to get with friends to achieve it on their own. There were people who would work with one for money, but nobody I knew was into that. After I moved back to Houston, I lost contact with the people, because I had other priorities. I never encountered the lunacy outsiders talk up, but, I don't know it all, especially for the past twenty years.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:43 pm
Who -- or what -- is South Park?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:31 pm
O

M

G

!

I am a devoted South Park-ie--and they have cracked my up almost every time, but the Scientology was the best one yet.

Did you see when they were telling the nutbar story of the origination of man per Scientology, that across the screen it said something like "this is what Scientologists really believe."

There's this ugly, evil creature with a name like Zoltran or something--and he imprisons these souls of something that appears to be multicolored space antelope or something...and he encases them in ice and banishes them to outer space--where they float around in blocks of ice--and then they somehow drop into the earth's atmosphere and oddly, fall into volcanoes, where the ice melts and they die and their souls float around on the earth until the appearance of man, when they inhabit men. (naturally)

I cannot believe anyone could possibly even buy this as the premise of a bad movie.

The funniest thing to me was the end. Stan was yelling "sue me, sue me" to the Super Poobah of Scientology, who had threatened to do just that--and then it ended abruptly.

The credits were ALL John Smith or Jane Smith.

Those guys crack me up.

They did one about Mormonism a couple of years ago. That one was great.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:33 pm
One of these days I'll try to remind myself how to turn on that silly black box that sits in the corner, taking up space. I think it's called a tellervision or something like that. Sorry, folks. Carry on.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:36 pm
It's an equal opportunity offender, MA, but if you take it as a joke, it can be hilarious.

It's a cartoon on the Comedy Central Network. Comes on 10ish or 11ish.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:36 pm
South Park is a cartoon on the Comedy Central station Merry Andrew. It is hilarious.

I don't get to see it too much. You really have to pay attention to it and I don't get much chance to pay attention to TV.

I have seen the movie though and I still blame Canada.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:38 pm
Oh. Comedy Central. Well, then, I'd not only have to actually turn on the set, I'd also have to get cable or whatever it is that allows you to watch shows that the hoi-polloi don't see. Too much of an effort.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:12 pm
Rent CDs!!

And, blame Canada!!!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:25 pm
Cable is worth paying for if only for The Daily Show.

They show the repeats here at 8 PM and usually I have Mo off to bed by then.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:40 pm
jstark wrote:

Their is a world of difference between a cult and a religion. I lot of religions that call themselves such are indeed cultish (it's now the "religion" of scientology, for tax purposes), but there is a difference between human religiosity and cultishness.
Kind Regards

I know this is a silly, lighthearted thread, but I would like to know what the difference is between cultishness (looks like cuttlefish) and religiosity.
0 Replies