What is up with those oval decals with cryptic acronyms?

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:05 pm
I see them all over, but haven't been able to get close enough to one to figure out wtf they are. I think they often have small print under the big block letters.

They're smallish ovals, say 5 inches long, that are usually in the back windows of SUVs and minivans. (I don't see many cars with them.) They have a white background with simple black lettering. A recent one I saw was "OBL". Osama Bin Laden? What?

There are all kinds of different acronyms, though. That's one that I remember.

What ARE they?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,640 • Replies: 15
No top replies

username

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:09 pm
They were originally used to indicate what country the car was from (not where it was built, but where it was registered). I think Ireland, was IRL, or something like that, for example, but recently the Boston Globe had a little mini-article about them, and people are indeed creating their own acronyms for thmaybe yours is Office of Bureaucratic Langour, or an homage to the Beatles "Ohbladi, Ohblada".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
I searched before I posted but didn't come up with anything -- just tried again, and this is a sample, exactly what they look like:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-65361177377116_1866_23007064.gif

That site says that they're place names. Why is Columbus swimming with stickers from all kinds of different places, though?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
OH! Thanks, username!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:27 pm
I always figured they were parking stickers....
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:29 pm
DrewDad, you should put a FSM sticker on yours.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:48 pm
I've considered it, but I really dislike the idea of adorning my car.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:50 pm
Anyone who sticks a sticker on to a $20K item is stupid.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 01:53 pm
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/database/fordlogo2003.jpg

Some say it means "Found On Road Dead"
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 02:01 pm
There's an oval sticker here, MC. Evidently it stands for "more cowbell".
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 02:45 pm
In Europe they are mandatory to specify the country

A = Austria
B = Belgium
CH = Switzerland
D = Germany
E = Spain
F = France
G = Greece and so on....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 02:55 pm
Here's one I sport.

http://www.piercethis2.com/Eatme.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:06 pm
OK, a picture is emerging. Something like:

1.) All cars in Europe have them.
2.) People here started doing it as a "tone" thing -- ooh, look how European I am.
3.) There were enough #2 people that it reached critical mass and there started to be parodies/ random acronyms. (The site I found where I got the "AMI" image allowed you to order custom decals.)
4.) It's mutated from there like the take-offs of "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" or Jesus fish/ Darwin fish/ pirate fish (FSM) decals.

That about right?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:56 pm
I found more. From CafePress:

Quote:
Oval Stickers: Those lil' stickas fo' shizzle. Straight outta Europe, they've been around years and quickly became the 'gots to have' accessory for suburbanites across the country who wish to claim their hood as the place to live? Today, they're expressing views on mad topics - politics, knitting, clowns, 'n mo'. Holla' back!

There's even a combination with one of the #4 things!

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/7/13222597_F_tn.jpg
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 05:51 pm
They used to be required in Europe so law enforcement could quickly identify the country of the car's origin. Italy is IT, france is FR, Denmark is DN, Great Britain is GB, Germany is DE, etc. The fad kinda caught on in the US and some US drivers put those stickers on their cars to indicate their favorite European country, or their family heritage, or just to be a loser.

In recent years, the fad has extended to tourist spots. The ones you see that say OBX stand for Outer Banks, NC. There are some religious ones that say JC, and some that say HMP for hemp or pot.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 06:39 pm
Yes sozobe, your assumtion is quite right.
We have a beach community here where it's still hippie-like
and residents proudly wear a "OB" (for Ocean Beach) sign on their cars.
0 Replies