Was This A Fair Sentence?

rodeman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
'Cool Mom' Gets Prison for Sex With Students
From Times Wire Reports

A woman who authorities said had sex with high school boys during alcohol- and drug-fueled parties has been sentenced in Golden to 30 years in prison, officials said.

Silvia Johnson, 41, of Arvada, described herself to investigators as a "cool mom" who "was never popular with classmates in high school" and who was beginning to feel like one of the group.

Johnson pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts of sexual assault and nine felony counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,827 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:11 pm
No way. I believe that she deserved jail time, but 30 years???? That's nuts. I think that a year or two in jail, a few year's probation, and designation as a sex offender would be punishment enough.

I could understand the sentence if she was having sex with pre-pubescent boys, but these were high school boys, for pity's sake!

A woman in Florida killed two kids with her car, freaked out, and left the scene of the crime. Her parents helped her to cover up the crime. She got, I think, house arrest for 3 years.

Is justice equitable in the US???
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:23 pm
the sentence is certainly too long. on the other hand, these are serious offenses, especially since the teens were also provided alcohol & drugs. evidently, none of those boys killed anybody including themselves in a car accident, but it could have happened.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:23 pm
Phoenix
I'm with you. I was thinking maybe 2/3 years and probation. But 30 YEARS....................?? The justice system is broke.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:34 am
You have the same half wits in charge of your "justice" system that we do Brit side, but arse about face, we have judges that give child rapists 18 months and you have this moron who gives a woman 30 years for having consensual sex with the most grateful male teenagers in the USA.

The sentence should have been 12 months probation.

I've asked this question a thousand times, "is there a judge on this planet that has EVER got anything right"
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:41 am
Was This A Fair Sentence? No it was not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:44 am
So, had it been someone's "cool dad" who had raped two teenage girls, would you consider a thirty year sentence just? Sauce for the goose makes sauce for the gander . .
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:53 am
She got what she deserved.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:41 am
What would the sentence likely to have been if the genders HAD been reversed?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:44 am
Death.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:47 am
There is no accounting for how the mind of a judge -- or anyone else, come to that -- works.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:35 am
True. Along with legal guidelines and in some cases mandatory sentencing there is also the past of the judge and things in their life which will effect rulings.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:40 am
It's a serious crime. She deserved more than probation. The fact she provided drugs and alcohol bothers me a great deal. And, reversing the genders does put it into a perspective that shocks one into realizing the severity of having sex with kids.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:43 pm
She should be put away for longer than 30 years IMO. She plead guilty to two misdemeanor counts of sexual assault and nine felony counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and for pleading guilty the prosecutor didn't bring charges for her distribution of methamphetamines; plus she also had other charges for third-degree assault, violation of a restraining order and harassment charges.

If she had been male and gotten 8 under age girls drunk and high on meth and then had sex with 5 them every weekend over the course of a full year it would have been 7 or 8 consecutive life terms.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:00 pm
Re: Was This A Fair Sentence?
Who brought the alcohol and drugs to the party? Just her? Her and/or the kids?
She should definately be punished for sexual assault. But that's way too long a sentence, 30years. My God!
I wonder how ANYONE can contribute to a highschooler being delinquent? It doesn't matter if she pleaded guilty to it, it makes no difference. Screwed up justice system!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:12 pm
She could have avoided that 30 year sentence by, y'know, not doing drugs with kids, not drinking booze with kids, and not having sex with kids. I mean, jeez, really.... She's not the kind of person I want to defend, and if a judge, who has much more legal training and experience than I ever will, decides that 30 years is a fair sentence, well, then I guess I'll just shrug it off. I know that I won't be having sex with kids anytime soon, so it's not like I'm worried about the precedent this sets...
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
You will shrug off a 30year unjustified sentence just because it doesn't concern your life? Holy! Do you know how smart and cunning some teenagers are out there today? Many are into drugs from the tender age of 11 even. I really don't want to argue because I don't really know the case, but from what is above, a 30year sentence seems ludicrous!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:33 pm
Yeah, I guess I will. I'm selfish like that.

And whatever other teenagers do doesn't really matter, because she shouldn't have been sleeping with children in the first place.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:00 pm
the sentence is no more unfair than a 25 to life sentence for stealing a can of beer, a pair of sneakers, or $20 of coffee under California's 3 strikes law.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:40 pm
smog wrote:
Yeah, I guess I will. I'm selfish like that.

And whatever other teenagers do doesn't really matter, because she shouldn't have been sleeping with children in the first place.

These are the same age "CHILDREN" that the USA tries as adults for murder when it suits them, why is it that if they commit murder at this age they are adults but if they are lucky enough to get their bone home suddenly they are helpless children?

I have believed for years that the British system of so called justice is run by idiots but even our system pales by comparison compared to the stupidity of the American legal system.

I mean no offence to:

Joe from chicago
Debra Law
Ticomaya
BBB
or any other legal people here, but you have to wonder at the mentality of a country's legal system that sends people to jail for life without the possibility of parole for stealing a videotape valued at $10 because they have two previous convictions.
0 Replies