Sex n the City

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:51 am
I was shocked at this series. It's contrary to my beliefs ( Asian belief)
From what I saw from the series, It seems that American people are too self-indulgent. To them, sex is more important than love. They can have sex with strangers. Sex is like food which is necessary for living.

Am I right about the American or do I see it with stereotype?

Another 2 questions :
We eat to live or we live to eat ?
We have sex to live or we live to have sex ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,224 • Replies: 10
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 04:22 am
Hmm, I think they showed sex should be enjoyable for women,it passes time and its something to do until you meet 'Mr Right'.

But Carrie showed she got emotional about seeing Aiden(I think)with his child.
She was very upset when the russian artist didnt need her at his art exhibition and she was very happy to settle down with Mr Big.
Samantha was obviously all about sex but she did want to be loved she just wasnt used to it.
The red head got married so did the dark haired lady, she wanted a baby so sex was unavoidable.
0 Replies

kingofmen

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:31 am
hey material girl
is your life like one of them ?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:51 am
Id be happy with my life being just 1% like theirs.Sadly I have nothing they have.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:04 am
Re: Sex n the City
kingofmen wrote:

Another 2 questions :

Of course you see the stereotype. But the show is not about sex really. It's about the modern American woman who can have a career and enjoy sex just like men have been doing for ever.

I think the answers to your questions can be both. There is a time for everything. We were meant to enjoy sex. Somtimes, it can be just about pleasure.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:26 am
Huh! You mean guys sometimes engage in a sexual act without genuinely loving the woman!!
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:16 am
Re: Sex n the City
Bella Dea wrote:
kingofmen wrote:

Another 2 questions :

Of course you see the stereotype. But the show is not about sex really. It's about the modern American woman who can have a career and enjoy sex just like men have been doing for ever.

I think the answers to your questions can be both. There is a time for everything. We were meant to enjoy sex. Somtimes, it can be just about pleasure.

Bella Dea, once again you sum up things beautifully - I totally agree - the show was not about sex altogether - it was about single women, getting older but still single, having a career, living in a city, and being open about dating and sex. I don't think American women are too self-indulgent - frankly sex is very taboo and maybe should be discussed more openly. I know that SATC might offend some, but like I say, change the channel - it's totally your right to disagree with it and I'm sure you're not alone.

I myself miss SATC. I thought it was hilarious! Very Happy
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:36 pm
I think the show is about how women can react in relationships. It is about being a strong women, retaining your feminity, dealing with heartache, or just needing to have sex or masturbate. There are different types of women on the show too. Charlotte is the more idealistic traditional woman who has a harder time coming to terms with her sexuality. But Samantha is the more hard core, "I can have sex whenever and with whomever I choose" kind of woman. And Miranda and Carrie fall somewhere in between. All the women are trying to come to terms with what it means to be fully free, fully sexual, and fully feminine. The show is not about promiscuity. But promiscuity is part of modern life.

And to answer your question. Some American women are like that. Its my personal belief that most are not. For one, we aren't nearly that beautiful.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:41 am
I used to enjoy the show. I got into Carrie and Mr. Big. I could relate.
0 Replies

Delicate Sound Of Thunder

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
I think Sarah Jessica Parker is so ugly. She looks like a man.
0 Replies

kimbaleee

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:38 am
sex and le city
You have to be kidding? i think she's adorable. i love love love this show, i was so sad when it ended but i have every season on dvd.

Anyway, i think a lot of people get the wrong idea abotu this show. They think it's just a bunch of girls having random sex, when it's not, or at least it's evolved from that. As people have already said, its about city life, love, death, friendships, careers and fashion and it's funny to boot. I'm not american so i can't speak for the "stereotypical american woman" but i, like millions of women worldwide can appreciate it because it manages to relate to everyone in some way. Even my boyfriend doesn't mind watching it with me from time to time (and by the way, he is also asian).

The show deals with real life issues (especially for city girls like myself), but i can understand that it may not be appreciated, or may seem offensive to some people. Not many shows will appeal to everyone, if any.
0 Replies