Meal help needed..

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:37 pm
I have just prepared -
2 cups brown rice
3 cups swedish brown beans
1 2lb summer squash

err...

what can i do with that?
What can I add to make.. I dunno.. a bean salad? Soup?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,019 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:46 pm
What is summer squash, the flying saucer little green ones? or zucchini?

I can see some sort of beans and rice casserole. Have trouble envisioning putting the squash with it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:52 pm
sorry.. it is called a butternut squash.
Not summer..

I steamed the squash so that it is just .. mush.
Makes a sweet addition to soup..
but i dont think i want to go a soup route.

what could i use to turn it into a casserole?
I have veggies, onions, bell peppers, SOME cheese.. not alot. .. tomatos.. hmmm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:55 pm
It's already mush? (thinking pie...)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:56 pm
pretty much.

i doubt i could get any shape from it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:57 pm
There are some ideas here -

http://southernfood.about.com/od/wintersquashrecipes/r/bln467.htm
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:58 pm
Poison it and give it to a cute puppy.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:07 pm
I am still trying to figure out what a Swedish bean is...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:18 pm
This site says they're closely related to black beans..
http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/1961000.html
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:28 pm
they taste like black beans.. but not as . heavy?
I guess that is a good description...?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:30 pm
Okay. I like black beans.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:31 pm
I just remembered, shewolf, the recipe that used mini pumpkins on another thread could have acorn squash substituted.

I made it last week - it involved baking two half acorn squashes first (after removing seeds and cutting bottom a bit so they'd sit flat), then after they were done scooping out the squash flesh and mixing it with bits of gruyere cheese and bread cubes, milk to moisten the bread, and then putting it back in the squash and baking til the cheese melts.

I used a different cheese (fontina) which I wouldn't really recommend. Ordinary jack cheese might be better. {Hmm, jack with jalapenos?) and some torn up slices of foccaccia bread. The squash puppies (my word) turned out pretty well... needed some salt and pepper.

so the same type thing might work without putting the mixture back into the squash - just buttering a baking dish and making a small casserole.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:48 pm
mmm.. that sounds good.
I want to try that.
I need to get some butter.

I made a modified version of the squash / apple recipe you posted.

i used the squash, mashed it up completely, thin sliced an apple and layed it across the top of the squash, sprinkled a very small amount of brown sugar and raisins.
I put it in the oven .. i dont know how long..but basicaly until the apple was brown.

I took the beans and rice and mixed it together with 1 table spoon of maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon of salt

turned out ok.
for a random experiment. hehe
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:36 pm
Here's the recipe for the stuffed minipumpkins - links to where I got it, Traditional Home magazine, on other threads where I mentioned it...

anyway, here't'is -

Chef Philippe Bertineau's Baked Baby Pumpkins

6 baby pumpkins or 3 small halved
     and seeded acorn squash
Salt and ground black pepper
1 cup white bread cubes
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Swiss
     or Gruyere cheese
3/4 cup milk
Olive oil (optional)
Parmesan Cheese Sauce (see recipe)

Preheat oven to 450. Wash pumpkins, if using, and cut top off each about 1 inch from stem keeping stem attached; set tops aside. Scoop out seeds with small, sharp-edged spoon. Season inside of pumpkins (or acorn squash halves) with salt and ground black pepper.
    Divide bread cubes and cheese among pumpkins or squash halves. Add 2 tablespoons milk to each. Replace tops on pumpkins. Wrap in foil. For squash halves, cover tops with lightly greased foil, leaving space so filling does not stick to foil. Place pumpkin shells or squash halves on baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour.
    Unwrap squash halves or remove pumpkin tops. Shred pulp of each squash half or pumpkin with fork, mixing pulp with other filling ingredients. Replace pumpkin tops. If desired, brush outsides of pumpkins or squash halves with olive oil. Serve warm with Parmesan Cream Sauce. Makes 6 servings.
    Parmesan Cream Sauce: In small saucepan bring 3/4 cup whipping cream and 2 tablespoons milk to boil. Whisk in 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese until melted and smooth. Season to taste with salt and ground white pepper. Serve immediately or cover and chill. To serve, heat to boiling, whisking until smooth.
    Makes about 1 cup.

I admit I've done this lamely twice. The flavors don't quite make it for me, with the cheeses I've tried - I forget what the first one was, and the second was a flavorful local Fontina. I like the basic idea, but in my hands it needs, perhaps, fat bread crumbs instead of chunks; a cheese that works better with the squash (and what is that exactly?); some delicious herb/spice; and perhaps - thinking... i dunno, perhaps finely chopped chives..
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:14 pm
Add spinach and maybe black eyed peas, mix that **** up.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 02:31 pm
Meal help needed
soup. Oh, decidely, soup. But if you want a salad, add some raisins and a bit of celery for crunch. Raisins and celery always go well with rice.
0 Replies