The Eighth Myth About Islam (the big problem)

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:53 pm
Does ISlam promise you get 7 virgins in your next afterlife if you follow it?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:59 am
Jamesw84 wrote:
Does ISlam promise you get 7 virgins in your next afterlife if you follow it?

0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 08:26 am
My understanding about the origins of Islam is that it is best viewed as a heretical version of Judaism. Textual analysis of the Koran shows it to be derived from the Talmud. The problem is that we know next to nothing about Mohammed. The Koran itself makes more references to Adam and Moses. A great deal of research has been done over the last few decades by the London Universtiy School of Oriental and African Studies. The general consensus seems to be that the Koran was compiled and probably written long after the death of Mohammed supposedly in ad 623. Moreover finds at the Great Mosque at Sana'a in Yemen show the Koran in its present form to differ from earlier versions. All this stuff is well known to academics, but their work is under threat from 2 directions... from the American Christian fundamentalist right who want to go Muslim bashing, and from the Islamists who want to go academic-bashing.

Very sad because of course no one is seeking to destroy Faith...just learn more about the origins of Islam.

Islam is just another imperfect way of trying to approach the Truth. The problem I have with Islam is that it claims to BE the absolute and therefore exclusive truth.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:30 am
...assuming that "Truth" exists !
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:56 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Islam is just another imperfect way of trying to approach the Truth. The problem I have with Islam is that it claims to BE the absolute and therefore exclusive truth.

Well, doesn't Christianity claim the same thing.

Thing is some Muslims are forgetting the part where the Koran says that the Jews and Christians are also close to God's heart.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:25 am
fresco wrote:
...assuming that "Truth" exists !

Even if absolute truth does exist, I'm not sure it we can ever get there. But we can approach closer and know which direction it lies.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:31 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Thing is some Muslims are forgetting the part where the Koran says that the Jews and Christians are also close to God's heart.

I have the same problem with any religion or philosophical system which claims absolute truth. The beauty of science is that it approaches the problem from entirely the opposite direction, only taking something as known as a result of observation and experimentation, and open to revision as it develops.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 02:52 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

I have the same problem with any religion or philosophical system which claims absolute truth. The beauty of science is that it approaches the problem from entirely the opposite direction, only taking something as known as a result of observation and experimentation, and open to revision as it develops.

You might want to explain that to evolutionites and their friends in the ACLU (Anti-American Communist Litertine Union). They clearly don't know it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:56 am
you show me an evolutionite or an anti american communist litertine, and i'll do the explaining.
0 Replies

mansio

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
Steve

I agree with you that Islam is a version of Judaism. But why should it be heretical? Because it mentions Jesus? But Jesus' divinity is denied.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:15 pm
From what I understand...all religions depend on either the deeds of man or his adherences to a set of tasks or rules to allow man to ascend into paradise/be with God.

You must do this or that and if you succeed in doing so......paradise.
It is a way of proving to God (or ourselves) we are worthy of paradise.

There is a problem with this though.
These beliefs assume one can even earn paradise to begin with.

What have we done to earn our existence in the first place?
What can a man do to earn anything other than currency?

It's like a person saying "God...if I do all these things...you will give me paradise"? Yes.

"Ok I did these things and proved my worth...where is my payment?"
Our worth? What about our Creator's worth? He created us!

Is a masterful painting greater than the one who painted it?
Oh sorry God...I was so impressed with what i have accomplished I guess I kinda forgot the......truth!

Yeah...guess so.

What if a man did all that was asked...went before God eagerly seeking his booty(like on earth) and God gave him something other than what he expected....maybe less than he expected. Would he then prejudge GOD"S decision?

Not if he knew the truth....God requires us to do good....whether we get anything from him or not. We only receive blessings because of his love for us to begin with. NOT BECAUSE HE OWES US ANYTHING.

Why do you think God would do a good thing. What does he have to gain?
He does good...for the sake of goodness alone. If he does good for the sake of good.....why should we?

The same reason....if we can....we will be able to have the heart of God.
And if we can....then know we can only because of him.

humble thyself.

"For Wide is the path that leads to destruction and narrow is the gate that leads to life"!

"Pride goeth before a fall" (like satan)
This is why we should love another...love is humble and not self serving.

How can one love another thinking primarily about what they will get from loving another? impossible

The treasure is not heaven or anything in it....heaven is the result of the real treasure.

God himself!

The most difficult part of a God-man relationship is the fact that man has a very difficult time getting over himself. So much so that God knows the man will really only worship himself.

"A man cannot serve two masters...he will love one and hate the other"

Self worship, Self praise, Self centerdness....without recognizing God?

You'd be surprised......it's sad but....true.

Like brats man is. Funny thing is...some men will still want to prove their worth. HOW? To an all loving and powerful God? He is the perfect FATHER.

No...he is worthy as I attest to in JESUS CHRIST"S example who came to earth to show us this truth so that we may not deceive ourselves and miss the real prize!

GOD ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE. THANK YOU FOR EVEN SHOWING US THIS TRUTH. The truth is Jesus....is how we should be and will be one day having the same heart as God.

It is this realization....that makes the approach to God..THE WAY IT SHOULD BE AND FOREVER REMAIN.

If this truth of God's love will not compel a man....what will?

He will never have the heart of God within him and therefore can never be trusted!

Even this realization is only possible because GOD made it possible for YOU!

I love you lord ....thank you for showing me this to spread this GREAT NEWS!

Bart.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:59 pm
Bartikus,

I hope you've not come over here to do a bit of preaching as a soft option ! There's a question waiting for you on the atheists thread. Smile
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 01:05 pm
fresco wrote:
Bartikus,

I hope you've not come over here to do a bit of preaching as a soft option ! There's a question waiting for you on the atheists thread. Smile

Actually, it's not soft at all....well...in ways it is but is extremely hard hitting for the purpose it serves.

Thanks for letting me know about the question fresco.

I appreciate it.

Love your signature by the way....very hard hitting
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 06:49 pm
James wrote:

Quote:
The koran sounds very interesting to me, much more interesting than the Bible, who preaches some saviour of the world who never existed,

That's funny, must not be the same Bible I read, cause in mine, Jesus DOES exist!

Quote:

At least the koran sounds more realistic in the sense that it doesnt try to conceal the very nature of human beings, that we are capable of acting in selfish interests, that we are capable of being angry at times.

That's it, take the easy way out.

Wanda
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 06:55 pm
James wrote:

Quote:
I dont know why they try to convert people?? It just makes me wonder, do they want to convert because they think they will be rewarded by god in this life or the afterlife after such actions? Or do they want to convert me because they actually believe it will benefit me in some kind of way?

Uhm...to save souls so people like you can be in Heaven. Very Happy
I don't care about the rewards, that's not what's about.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 04:35 am
Bartikus wrote:
fresco wrote:
Bartikus,

Actually, it's not soft at all....well...in ways it is but is extremely hard hitting for the purpose it serves.

Thanks for letting me know about the question fresco.

I appreciate it.

Love your signature by the way....very hard hitting

Intellectually, however, it is a very soft option. Besides, you didn't even answer any of the questions here.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:59 pm
Bartikus, do you know Spendius? I think you should meet upkius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 06:29 pm
I never upkiussed in my life.I don't like the sound of it though.Does it not hurt?
0 Replies