The Eighth Myth About Islam (the big problem)

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 12:06 pm
Actually Wolf, I have been doing quite a bit of reading. I am asking questions in two of these threads. I was just hoping to get some feedback (not from links or books) from someone who wanted to talk about their beliefs.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:34 am
Does the Koran really preach what the fundamental Islamics believe ? For example, using any method available to convert people to Islam including extortion and blackmail?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:49 am
Jamesw84 wrote:
Does the Koran really preach what the fundamental Islamics believe ? For example, using any method available to convert people to Islam including extortion and blackmail?

The basic answer is yes. Here's the difference: There is no law of physics to prevent a Christian or Jew from being an a$$hole or a lunatic; nonetheless a Christian or Jew has to be in major violation of the basic tenets of his religion in order to be an a$$hole.

A muslim on the other hand has to be in major violation of the basic tenets of HIS religion in order to be a decent person.

The good news is that the basic ideas of normal religion are more or less imprinted on most people biologically. That's the only reason that Islammic societies, or secular humanist societies like Canada or many European nations for that matter, work at all.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 03:17 am
Nice point...but "normality" is fragile and relative.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 05:23 am
Peace be on those who follow the guidance,

Jamesw84 wrote:

Thank you first of all for asking about my religion.
Would you mind giving examples where Muslims use "extortion and blackmail" to convert people to the True Religion (Islam), so that I can expand on the answer?

gungasnake wrote:
A muslim on the other hand has to be in major violation of the basic tenets of HIS religion in order to be a decent person.

I am afraid that is not correct. In order to be a decent person, we have to follow the teachings of the Noble Qur'an. To prove it, here are some verses:

- "In the case of those who say, "Our Lord is Allah., and, further, stand straight and steadfast, the angels descend on them (from time to time): "Fear ye not!" (they suggest), "Nor grieve! but receive the Glad Tidings of the Garden (of Bliss), the which ye were promised!" [Glorious Qur'an 41:30]
- "Keep us on the right path. " [Glorious Qur'an 1:6]
- " Verily Man is in loss, Except such as have Faith, and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of Truth, and of Patience and Constancy.
"
[Glorious Qur'an 103:2-3]

There are many other verses which state that true Muslims are those who are righteous, decent and honest.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 10:43 am
Gungasnake Wrote:

Quote:

If this statement is meant exactly as it is stated, then that is reason enough for me to not believe in Islam.

Gungasnake Wrote:

Quote:
The good news is that the basic ideas of normal religion are more or less imprinted on most people biologically. That's the only reason that Islammic societies, or secular humanist societies like Canada or many European nations for that matter, work at all.

Can you explain this a bit differently? I think I know what you mean but do not want to comment until I am sure.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 10:56 am
muslim1 wrote:

gungasnake wrote:

I am afraid that is not correct. In order to be a decent person, we have to follow the teachings of the Noble Qur'an. To prove it, here are some verses:

- "In the case of those who say, "Our Lord is Allah., and, further, stand straight and steadfast, the angels descend on them (from time to time): "Fear ye not!" (they suggest), "Nor grieve! but receive the Glad Tidings of the Garden (of Bliss), the which ye were promised!" [Glorious Qur'an 41:30]
- " Verily Man is in loss, Except such as have Faith, and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of Truth, and of Patience and Constancy.
"

There are many other verses which state that true Muslims are those who are righteous, decent and honest.

The following are verses from the Koran:
Quote:

Section 2:

178. O you who believe! retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the slain, the free for the free, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female, but if any remission is made to any one by his (aggrieved) brother, then prosecution (for the bloodwit) should be made according to usage, and payment should be made to him in a good manner; this is an alleviation from your Lord and a mercy; so whoever exceeds the limit after this he shall have a painful chastisement.

179. And there is life for you in (the law of) retaliation, O men of understanding, that you may guard yourselves.

191. And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

193. And fight with them until there is no persecution, and religion should be only for Allah, but if they desist, then there should be no hostility except against the oppressors.

216. Fighting is enjoined on you, and h is an object of dislike to you; and it may be that you dislike a thing while it is good for you, and it may be that you love a thing while it is evil for you, and Allah knows, while you do not know.

217. They ask you concerning the sacred month about fighting in it. Say: Fighting in it is a grave matter, and hindering (men) from Allah's way and denying Him, and (hindering men from) the Sacred Mosque and turning its people out of it, are still graver with Allah, and persecution is graver than slaughter; and they will not cease fighting with you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can; and whoever of you turns back from his religion, then he dies while an unbeliever-- these it is whose works shall go for nothing in this world and the hereafter, and they are the inmates of the fire; therein they shall abide.

218. Surely those who believed and those who fled (their home) and strove hard in the way of Allah these hope for the mercy of Allah and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful....

I mean, that sort of thing is the bulk of the Koran and not the exception. The Koran is basically a cookbook for a world war. The world war was basically turned off around 1600 AD when the West surpassed the muslim world so utterly that continuing it would have meant the extermination of the muslim world. Muslims who think that situation has changed much are not doing the muslim world any favors.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:06 am
The Koran is a basically a cookbook for a world war? Another reason IMO not to believe in Islam. The Bible teaches of love with the New Covenant of Christ.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:50 am
gungasnake wrote:
muslim1 wrote:

gungasnake wrote:

"

The following are verses from the Koran:
Quote:

Section 2:

178. O you who believe! retaliation is prescribed for you in the matter of the slain, the free for the free, and the slave for the slave, and the female for the female, but if any remission is made to any one by his (aggrieved) brother, then prosecution (for the bloodwit) should be made according to usage, and payment should be made to him in a good manner; this is an alleviation from your Lord and a mercy; so whoever exceeds the limit after this he shall have a painful chastisement.

179. And there is life for you in (the law of) retaliation, O men of understanding, that you may guard yourselves.

191. And kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers.

193. And fight with them until there is no persecution, and religion should be only for Allah, but if they desist, then there should be no hostility except against the oppressors.

216. Fighting is enjoined on you, and h is an object of dislike to you; and it may be that you dislike a thing while it is good for you, and it may be that you love a thing while it is evil for you, and Allah knows, while you do not know.

217. They ask you concerning the sacred month about fighting in it. Say: Fighting in it is a grave matter, and hindering (men) from Allah's way and denying Him, and (hindering men from) the Sacred Mosque and turning its people out of it, are still graver with Allah, and persecution is graver than slaughter; and they will not cease fighting with you until they turn you back from your religion, if they can; and whoever of you turns back from his religion, then he dies while an unbeliever-- these it is whose works shall go for nothing in this world and the hereafter, and they are the inmates of the fire; therein they shall abide.

218. Surely those who believed and those who fled (their home) and strove hard in the way of Allah these hope for the mercy of Allah and Allah is Forgiving, Merciful....

I mean, that sort of thing is the bulk of the Koran and not the exception. The Koran is basically a cookbook for a world war. The world war was basically turned off around 1600 AD when the West surpassed the muslim world so utterly that continuing it would have meant the extermination of the muslim world. Muslims who think that situation has changed much are not doing the muslim world any favors.

The koran sounds very interesting to me, much more interesting than the Bible, who preaches some saviour of the world who never existed, and all the new testament does is boast about a bunch of deeds which were impossible to believe. At least the koran doesnt do that. The biological nature of human beings is a selfish one, so how can Christianity ever work? Trying to live the way of the christian is complete denial of the biological nature of human beings, and this is exactly why I dont believe. With all the godly qualities christians preach, we might as well just commit suicide. At least the koran sounds more realistic in the sense that it doesnt try to conceal the very nature of human beings, that we are capable of acting in selfish interests, that we are capable of being angry at times.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 12:29 pm
The Bible does not say we are not capable of selfish interests and that we are incapable of being angry. It tells us how to deal with these things. The Bible fully explains the biological and spiritual nature of human beings.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 07:10 pm
Quote:

The koran sounds very interesting to me, much more interesting than the Bible, who preaches some saviour of the world who never existed, and all the new testament does is boast about a bunch of deeds which were impossible to believe. At least the koran doesnt do that. The biological nature of human beings is a selfish one, so how can Christianity ever work? Trying to live the way of the christian is complete denial of the biological nature of human beings, and this is exactly why I dont believe. With all the godly qualities christians preach, we might as well just commit suicide. At least the koran sounds more realistic in the sense that it doesnt try to conceal the very nature of human beings, that we are capable of acting in selfish interests, that we are capable of being angry at times.

I can at least understand that sort of argument, i.e. you're basically a street-fighting man and don't want any part of a candyass religion. Nonetheless, in theory at least you'd at least like for there be some element of truth in the religion you DO eventually choose for yourself and Islam sort of falls flat because of the thing involving prophecy and prophets. Check the original post on this thread if you haven't already.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 07:48 pm
The one other thing I should probably mention, is that the new testament does in fact check out historically; sort of a long story but it does. There's one famous case of a guy who was a sort of a famous British historian and atheist who set out on a grand tour to prove that the book of Acts was BS and ended up converting to Christianity because of what he found out.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:37 pm
gungasnake wrote:
The one other thing I should probably mention, is that the new testament does in fact check out historically; sort of a long story but it does. There's one famous case of a guy who was a sort of a famous British historian and atheist who set out on a grand tour to prove that the book of Acts was BS and ended up converting to Christianity because of what he found out.

Can you tell me a little about what he actually found out.
I would find a [candyass] religion such as Christianity a little easier to accept if the New Testament does in fact play out historically.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:48 am
Jamesw84,

Candyass? Could you explain what you mean by that, please?

And also am very curious as to why would it be easier to accept if it did play out historically? Christianity is based on faith in God, not historical or scientific proof of God.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:09 pm
Candyass means weak, something I quoted from gungasnake.

Okay, being brought up in a world where theres chaos and pain everywhere and without hearing about god until the recent past year, its a bit difficult for me to accept that there is a God in my life. If somehow I can see the physical proof that what they say in the bible did in fact happen in reality maybe I will start to change my mind about him. I know that most Christians out there are Christians because they have been brought up in Christian families and they have been tought to acknowledge God from a very young age. This is a strong basis for their belief, I know of very little people who have become Christians during the latter stages of their lives, probably because of what they have experienced and seen in this world makes it hard for them to believe that there is in fact a god looking over us, that there is in fact justice at all.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:23 pm
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Not all Christians have been brought up in the Christian faith! I know many who have been brought up atheist and agnostic. Madeline Murray O'hare's son being one of them. His mother definitely did not bring him up in the Christian faith, yet, he is a Christian.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:18 pm
Jamesw84 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

I would find a [candyass] religion such as Christianity a little easier to accept if the New Testament does in fact play out historically.

This is a pdf file of a sort of an ultimate sermon I heard once at the McLean Bible Church, pastor Lon Solomon. It concerns Sir William Ramsey, one of the worlds foremost historians of the late 1800s and early 1900s who set out to prove that the Book of Acts was a fictional document and converted to Christianity because of what he turned up:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1...76DOsaKaY6y5M0M
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:14 am
Wonder why Gunga did not do a similar exegesis of Ramayanna and Mahabharata?
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 03:58 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Jamesw84 wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

This is a pdf file of a sort of an ultimate sermon I heard once at the McLean Bible Church, pastor Lon Solomon. It concerns Sir William Ramsey, one of the worlds foremost historians of the late 1800s and early 1900s who set out to prove that the Book of Acts was a fictional document and converted to Christianity because of what he turned up:

Ta ^^

I wonder if I will believe what I read there..Maybe he was just tricked into it. Or maybe he was gullible. You know, most Christians have been converted to Christianity at their very young ages, at their most gullible state, where parents and churchgoers exploit the gullibility and innocence of children, and thats when they get brainwashed. Like theres this group of christians at my uni, and everytime I bump into them, theyre talking to me about the bible and trying to convert me, EVERY single time I see them in the lectures. I dont know why they try to convert people?? It just makes me wonder, do they want to convert because they think they will be rewarded by god in this life or the afterlife after such actions? Or do they want to convert me because they actually believe it will benefit me in some kind of way? I do believe everyone is on a different spiritual plane, and that "spirituality", how spiritual a person is and can become is just like another personality trait that cant really be changed by outside knowledge.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 05:00 pm
gungasnake wrote:

Sorry, that link seems to be broken permanently. This one tells much the same story:

http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/docs/rediscover2.html

Those interested can do their own google searches on 'william ramsey' and 'book of acts'.
0 Replies