Do all of you out there believe in life after death?

neologist

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:12 am
timberlandko wrote:
neologist wrote:
... Then could it be possible that a higher intelligent power exists, hidden from our perception, within these as yet undiscovered aspects of the universe?

Of course its possible; nothing of which we are aware exludes it.
Could his name be "He who causes to become"?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:10 am
neologist wrote:
Then could it be possible that a higher intelligent power exists, hidden from our perception, within these as yet undiscovered aspects of the universe?

Of course. But the concept of a God (something supernatural) goes outside of the precepts of nature, even if those aspects are as yet undiscovered.

There might be other levels of pattern and awareness inherent in the Universe to which we are unaware, and we might even have a connection to them of which we are unaware, but they would still be "natural".

All things are possible. But how many are realistically likely? That's the more valuable question.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:00 am
NO
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:39 am
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
Then could it be possible that a higher intelligent power exists, hidden from our perception, within these as yet undiscovered aspects of the universe?

Of course. But the concept of a God (something supernatural) goes outside of the precepts of nature, even if those aspects are as yet undiscovered.

There might be other levels of pattern and awareness inherent in the Universe to which we are unaware, and we might even have a connection to them of which we are unaware, but they would still be "natural".

All things are possible. But how many are realistically likely? That's the more valuable question.
Are you saying the same presumption you applied to the possible existence of a soul which survives death does not apply to the possible existence of God?
0 Replies

knowitall2005

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:24 am
There is life after death, because how can you explain when people die for a few minutes and they see all this spirits and tunnels??? That means that there are spirits in the other life and there is life after death. Some people say that they see a bright light, other say they see a black long tunnel, and others say they see a white man. What do you say about this?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:27 am
knowitall2005 wrote:
There is life after death, because how can you explain when people die for a few minutes and they see all this spirits and tunnels??? That means that there are spirits in the other life and there is life after death. Some people say that they see a bright light, other say they see a black long tunnel, and others say they see a white man. What do you say about this?

Lack of oxygen to the brain, acute tunnel vision, whatever. Just because we don't know how the brain functions, and how death and resuscitation directly affect it is not grounds for declaration of a hereafter.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 04:20 pm
neologist wrote:
Are you saying the same presumption you applied to the possible existence of a soul which survives death does not apply to the possible existence of God?

No. I'm drawing a distinction between the natural and the supernatural.

I don't believe in the supernatural, so if you suggest that a "soul" or a "god" exist supernaturally, then I will say I don't believe it.

However, if you say that some natural condition exists which might be mistaken for, or seem similar to, a "soul" or a "god", then I would consider that a possibility.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 04:25 pm
knowitall2005 wrote:
There is life after death, because how can you explain when people die for a few minutes and they see all this spirits and tunnels???

Simple. Those people aren't dead, and they never were dead. They only came *close* to death and then recovered.

Nobody who has ever really died has come back to life (despite what christians would have us believe), so nobody can tell us what it's like to be really dead. And all of these claims of tunnels and lights are just experiences of "near death", whatever that condition is.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 05:18 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

No. I'm drawing a distinction between the natural and the supernatural.

I don't believe in the supernatural, so if you suggest that a "soul" or a "god" exist supernaturally, then I will say I don't believe it.

However, if you say that some natural condition exists which might be mistaken for, or seem similar to, a "soul" or a "god", then I would consider that a possibility.
Your opinion: If is natural, but cannot be articulated, is that the same as supernatural?
knowitall2005 wrote:
Where's xingu when we need him?
How about endorphins?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:00 pm
neologist wrote:
Your opinion: If it is natural, but cannot be articulated, is that the same as supernatural?

No.

The Supernatural is a defined condition which exceeds the natural world. Many things in the natural world are not yet understood, but that doesn't make them supernatural.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:16 pm
While those who feel a need to embrace the notion of "Life after death" reject the assembled findings, voluminous published, peer-reviewed research by acreditted medical professionals and legitimate academics provides overwhelmingly convincing evidence of a purely physiologic basis for the fabled "Near Death" and "Out of Body" experiences.

Mostly, the folks who dispute the physiologic basis of the phenomenon are in the same camp as those who find evolution a difficult concept to accept, trust flying-saucer-abduction accounts, don't think crop circles are pranks and hoaxes, and provide the market catered to by supermarket tabloids and internet scams.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:16 pm
Re: Do all of you out there believe in life after death?
knowitall2005 wrote:
Do all of you all believe in life after death?

Nope.

I have little confidence in any enterprise or business or investment that promises dividends only after the death of the stockholders." --- Robert Ingersoll, "A Wooden God" letter to the Chicago Times, March 27, 1890

P
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:11 pm
Nope.

When you're dead, you're dead.

Even if it was proved 100% certain that death was the end, people would still NEED to believe in it so badly that very little would change.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:17 pm
There's a good reason why they call it death.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:31 pm
Deep
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:32 pm
snotty
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:33 pm
touchy