Most Haunted Live

Equus

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:39 am
I have been watching tapes from Halloween week of Britain's "Most Haunted Live" which was shown in the US on the Travel Channel. Is this a big show in Britain? I found it to be rather dull, repetitive, and unconvincing. But then, I have to grant that you can't force the supernatural to appear on command for a live audience.

I have a couple of questions-
1. There was a light in sort of a star pattern that kept showing up in the infrared pictures that I don't think was explained- I'm sure this was some sort of equipment- was this maybe a laser thermometer?
2. Everyone at the main studio and some of the investigators wore lapel pins that looked like halved peaches- what was their significance?

Did any of you watch the shows? What did you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,540 • Replies: 7
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:42 pm
I have watched the show. It seems pretty lame to me. I'm sure that if that light was anything significant the shows host would have pounced on it saying "LOOK! There's REAL EVIDENCE!!!" As for the lapels, perhaps ghosts have a thing for peaches?
0 Replies

LyndaM

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:12 pm
Most Haunted Live
I think if you had seen tonight's show you would change your mind, it was really great tonight. It can't be that way all the time, like you said you can't force the supernatural to appear on command for a live audience.
As for the "half peaches" on the lapels, they are called "Poppies", people over here start wearing them in October until November every year, they are in rememberance of the people who fought and died in the wars. They have nothing at all to do with the television show.

Remembrance Day - Poppy Day

Many countries have a special day to remember those that fell in their wars; America has Veterans Day, while France has Armistice Day. The British commemorate those who fought, and are still fighting, in wars for their country on Remembrance Day.

The British Remembrance Day is always held on the 11 November. This is the day that World War One ended in 1918, when the armistice was signed in Compiègne, Northern France, at 5am. Six hours later, the fighting stopped, and to commemorate this there is a two minute silence in the UK at 11am, every 11 November.

The period of silence was first proposed by a Melbourne journalist, Edward George Honey, in a letter published in the London Evening News on 8 May 1919, which subsequently came to the attention of King George V. On 7 November, 1919, the king issued a proclamation which called for a two-minute silence:

All locomotion should cease, so that, in perfect stillness, the thoughts of everyone may be concentrated on reverent remembrance of the glorious dead.

As well as the two-minute silence, there are marches around the country by war veterans. The Royal Family, along with leading politicians, gather at the Cenotaph, a large war memorial in Whitehall, in London.

The nearest Sunday to the 11th is called Remembrance Sunday, when church services are held in honour of those involved in wars, and wreaths are laid on the memorials which have a place in every town. Many two-minute silences are followed by a lone bugler playing The Last Post, reminiscent of times of war when trumpets were as much a part of battle as bayonets. A poem called 'For the Fallen' is often read aloud on the occasion; the most famous stanza of which reads:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Fourth stanza of 'For the Fallen' by Laurence Binyon (1869 - 1943)

These words can be found adorning many war memorials across the country. The author, Laurence Binyon, was never a soldier but certainly appreciated the horrors of war.

Remembrance day is taken very seriously, with disrespect being avoided at all costs (which is why the vandalisation of the Cenotaph on 1 May 2000 was seen as such a horrific crime). If 11 November falls on a weekday, schools, workplaces and shopping centres generally attempt to observe the silence, although some people choose to ignore their attempts and go about their business regardless.

Poppies

Remembrance Day is also known as Poppy Day, because it is traditional to wear an artificial poppy. They are sold by the Royal British Legion, a charity dedicated to helping war veterans, although they do not have a fixed price - they rely on donations.

The motto of the British Legion is Remember the dead; don't forget the living, and they are campaigners for issues relating to war veterans, especially elderly ones.

The poppies are worn because in World War One the Western Front contained in the soil thousands of poppy seeds, all lying dormant. They would have lain there for years more, but the battles being fought there churned up the soil so much that the poppies bloomed like never before. The most famous bloom of poppies in the war was in Ypres, a town in Flanders, Belgium, which was crucial to the Allied defence. There were three battles there, but it was the second, which was calamitous to the allies since it heralded the first use of the new chlorine gas the Germans were experimenting with, which brought forth the poppies in greatest abundance, and inspired the Canadian soldier, Major John McCrae, to write his most famous poem. This, in turn, inspired the British Legion to adopt the poppy as their emblem.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:11 am
Thanks for the history lesson. I can't beleive some of you didn't know what poppies were...ohwell, at least now you do! No offense by the way....just a little shocked.....

As for Most haunted....I love that show.....real or not real.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:34 pm
Thanks for the explanation of the poppies. Sure looked like a halved peach with a stone in the middle, tho...

I know veterans groups hand out imitation poppies in the US, too, but I don't remember them looking like that.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:58 pm
Well, whether it's real or fake, I enjoy Most Haunted. Generally, a well-put-together show. Wink
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 03:58 pm
The show is pretty big in the UK.It's now in it's third or fourth season.It was always billed as an "entertainment" program,not to be taken seriously.I suppose that depends on your belief of life after death and all that.
The medium,Derek Achoura,has left Most Haunted,to front his own "show".Saw him do some live readings about a year ago.Entertaining but not 100% sold Confused
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:51 am
I watch it when I can find it in the US, but I am generally put off by mediums telling us that there's something present and having to take it on faith- maybe they are real, but maybe they are just making it up. I am much more impressed with physical evidence- things I can witness or see show up on camera.

Does Britain get the American show, "Ghost Hunters"? I like it because they are almost entirely based on things they can document. And they try to debunk ghostly phenomena, so that anything they can't debunk is all that more startling.
0 Replies