Beyond here there be dragons.

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:09 am
Reading through the treads about how Kansas has redefined science to allow intelligent design into the classroom a number of things crossed my mind:

First, that I will never under any circumstances hire a doctor that has been educated in Kansas.

Then, what if science were able to either prove or disprove the actural existence of God. What if there was a way to really test it, and they tested it, and they found a result.

How would your life change?

If you're a believer in God an it was scientifically proven that He did not exist, what would you do?

If you're not a believer in god and it was scientifically proved that he did exist, what would you do?

Like in most areas of my life, I'm a fence-sitter on the whole God thing. The proof could come down on either side and I don't think it would make a fundemental difference in my life.

What about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,742 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:15 am
I agree. I don't think that it would make one whit of difference in my life.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:24 am
Yeah, if a god does exist, it isn't of the meddling variety.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:28 am
I think that if the Christian god were proven to exist that much of the fence-sitting would be abandoned.

I say this not to belittle your position, but to lead to this:

If the Christian god (heretofore referred to as 'god') does in fact exist, then at the very least you would most likely be inclined to learn more about him. Since the bible is currently considered the foremost source of knowledge about this newly proven god, many many more people would turn to it if to do nothing more than research.

It's my hypothesis that reading the bible with the full knowledge that god exists would perhaps remove some of the previously 'logical' barriers that shielded many from falling into belief.

If nothing else, those that continue to be non-believers would likely be casting a glance over there shoulders now and then.

Now, if it were proven that god did not exist . . . .

I can't imagine the potential anarchy that this might cause. Despite not believing in him myself, I can appreciate the fact that millions of people are fairly dedicated to this religion. To have that suddenly negated could lead to all sorts of social and possibly political unrest.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:40 am
i don't think it would make a big difference to me

i think the actual proof of the existence of god would be hardest on the believers, as it is they operate completely on faith, and faith allows for loop holes, you try your best and hope for a good outcome, if it's an absolute, you have to do more than try you have to acheive
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:43 am
If science proved that God didn't exist then the religious would see it as proof that Satan exists in science.

Maybe we can refer to it as bible verse Catch:22
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:51 am
Very interesting, all. Thank you for your replies.

No doubt, Questioner, I would get off of the fence if given proof but I don't really think I would run to the Bible (or other religious text) for wisdom regarding his intentions.

I'd be truly fascinated and I'd gobble up any information I could get.

If science could prove God's existence I imagine we would learn much more about his nature through scientific testing than we could from ancient texts.

I too believe that disproving god would be very hard on believers.

I'm really thinking more of in day to day life, how would knowing change things for anyone.

Would long held beliefs simply evaporate?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 11:57 am
Catch: 22

I like that!

If God's existence or could become as established a fact as, say, gravity, what would change?

If his non-existence could be proved with equal certainty would something have to be invented to takes its place?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
boomerang wrote:
If his non-existence could be proved with equal certainty would something have to be invented to takes its place?

eventually, man seems to need some reassurance against the dark night
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:50 pm
I have a feeling that the choir is assembled but nobody else came to church!

I really thought this topic would spark a discussion of how belief in God or lack of belief in god guided people in their lives.

Could it be that our beliefs do not really express themselves in our lives!?

If it doesn't make any difference, then why all this passion against "the other side"?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:57 pm
boomerang wrote:
I have a feeling that the choir is assembled but nobody else came to church!

I really thought this topic would spark a discussion of how belief in God or lack of belief in god guided people in their lives.

Could it be that our beliefs do not really express themselves in our lives!?

If it doesn't make any difference, then why all this passion against "the other side"?

I think perhaps it's that there is an unshakable adoration on the side of the faithful that more or less makes this topic of conversation pointless for them to even bother discussing.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:08 pm
djjd62 wrote:
boomerang wrote:

eventually, man seems to need some reassurance against the dark night

proof of non-existence wouldn't necessarily end religion as such; one could still believe in life after death.

conversely, proof of existence would affect atheists obviously, but unless it specified the exact nature of God, it wouldn't have a great effect overall. mere proof of existence is like knowing that 42 is the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything without knowing what the actual question was. that's why i think Intelligent Design is a tempest in a teapot, because even if it's valid, it says nothing about the Creator except that there was/is a creator.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:22 pm
Boomer, it could be because it's mostly political. Eventually, maybe ages from now, maybe sooner, the two will come together. Where God is concerned there should be no clash between science and spirituality. Science would have to accept there is something to connect between the two, however.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:41 pm
First i would observe that many have said that if god did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.

Next, a little joke from the Civil Rights era . . .

Governor Wallace and the Alabama National Guard take over the rocket facilities of the Feds, and start their own space program. As soon as they are sure they can do so safely, they send off a manned mission, and the goal is to find heaven.

The rocket is launched, with a single Alabamian astronaut, so that they can fill the capsule with oxygen and food for several weeks. Just when they begin to dispair that the food and oxygen have run out, the capsule is detected again, aligns correctly to re-enter the atmosphere, and splashed down in Mobile Bay. They rush out and retreive the astronaut.

They can hardly contain their excitement, but they manage to maintain some decorum out of a due regard for the poor man who has spent weeks in that capsule in weightlessness, and finally, when Governor Wallace has arrived, they decide to question him. But he says they better get away from the cameras, because he's got important news.

They take him into a side room, and Wallace, impatient demands:

Out with it man, did you find Heaven? Did you meet God?

Well . . . yes, but . . .

But what ? ! ? ! ? Don't pussyfoot around ! ! !

Well, the first thing you need to know is, She's black . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 02:05 pm
You're probably right, Questioner. Frankly, I have always been a bit suspicious of anyone who is unwilling to examine their beliefs.

But if we had proof of God's existence perhaps we could answer such riddles, yitwail.

I guess by "proof" I mean understanding his nature - having the answers to why things are the way they are. Having it all explained.

I don't think the two are at odds anyway, sunlover. I know of some scientists who are very religious.

I did consider that belief has become a mere political relic. I hope that's not the case but sadly no one has stepped forward to convince me otherwise.

<snork>
Setanta, that is funny but its not! Because really that is exactly what I'm talking about.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 02:15 pm
You're probably right, Questioner. Frankly, I have always been a bit suspicious of anyone who is unwilling to examine their beliefs.

But if we had proof of God's existence perhaps we could answer such riddles, yitwail.

I guess by "proof" I mean understanding his nature - having the answers to why things are the way they are. Having it all explained.

I don't think the two are at odds anyway, sunlover. I know of some scientists who are very religious.

I did consider that belief has become a mere political relic. I hope that's not the case but sadly no one has stepped forward to convince me otherwise.

<snork>
Setanta, that is funny but its not! Because really that is exactly what I'm talking about.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 04:25 pm
If we can prove that God doesn't exist it would only be because his (GFSM) noodly appendage reached out and caused that outcome in the experiments.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:25 pm
good one, parados. Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:26 pm
Now that is an interesting point!

Could there ever be proof enough that God doesn't exist?

But we're just pretending anyway.

Although it seems that nobody really wants to pretend along with us fence-sitters.

I can see that this idea went over about as well as my anti-gluttony crusade.....

.... hmmmmm.....

....... I can't seem to get this religion stuff right at all.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 06:39 pm
if it's some kind of scientific proof, it would probably be limited to the 4 dimensions we can observe, so God could still exist in a higher dimension, or God could be a spirit, and therefore not be observable with instruments yet still exist. i barely glanced at your gluttony thread, but found this one rather interesting, so maybe you're catching on, boomerang. ;-)
0 Replies