Kansas School Board Redefines Stupidity

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 03:21 pm
Raindrops to the ocean, Set, raindrops to the ocean.

But whut the heck - we all enjoy spraying into the wind sometimes Mr. Green
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 03:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
None of which changes the fact that you have failed to support a contention that Kansas has a tradition of being in the forefront of social reform.

If you had asked women living in many of the other states about this in the late 1800's , they may have disagreed with you since Kansas women were beginning to vote and they were not.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:07 pm
Time to suit up

http://www.pennreels.com/01_products/apparel/foul_weather/orangeball.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:10 pm
Unfortunately, Big Bird, that suit will protect your clothing, but it won't stop the stink . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:24 pm
RL, sets point about the preexisting voting rights of women in New Jersey caused me to look up the status of universal suffrage in the US. Hence, in the Tiemline for womens suffrage in US, Kansas was late to the parade. They only allowed women to vote in school elections in 1887. Whereas , at least 5 states had previously passed universal suffrage by then, and a few othershad also permitted women to vote in "local elections"

Hardly a leader , 1887. Before then , New Jersey had already won the vote back . after an almost 100 year absence
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:26 am
farmerman wrote:
RL, sets point about the preexisting voting rights of women in New Jersey caused me to look up the status of universal suffrage in the US. Hence, in the Tiemline for womens suffrage in US, Kansas was late to the parade. They only allowed women to vote in school elections in 1887. Whereas , at least 5 states had previously passed universal suffrage by then, and a few othershad also permitted women to vote in "local elections"

Hardly a leader , 1887. Before then , New Jersey had already won the vote back . after an almost 100 year absence

I guess you missed the part about 1861.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:42 am
What is to the point here is that "real life" has attempted to contend that Kansas has a tradition of leadership in social reform--and utterly failed to make a case. First he mentions "bloody Kansas," as though the casual slaughter which "slave state" and "free state" advocates visited upon one another were evidence of social consciousness--he got shot down pretty damned quick on that one, and hasn't mentioned it since. He tried Brown versus Board of Education, the most egregious example of a state being mired in racist tradition--that one didn't fly either. So he jumps in with women's suffrage--specifically, a contention that Kansas can be said to have had a tradition of leadership in social reform because, allegedly, the right of some Kansas women to vote in some school board elections was the envy of women nationwide, as though any significant proportion of women nationwide were aware of the circumstance, or were impressed by it. Ah yes, yearning to vote in the local school board elections.

One swallow does not a summer make. "real life" has attempted to contend that Kansas has traditionally been a leader in social reform because it intends to contend that the recent creationism-inspired idiocy of the State Board of Education is yet another example of that alleged tradition. "real life" has utterly failed to make either case.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:30 am
It could be that the NY Library Assn, who put the suffrage timeline , that I was looking at, didnt consider to add "school board elections" for Kansas, but thye did for some other states. HMMM I wonder whos wrong?

Did you observe womens suffrage in 1861? or is it just "reading material"

http://winningthevote.org/TLnational.html
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:25 am
farmerman wrote:

Did you observe womens suffrage in 1861? or is it just "reading material"

Well, I'm old but not quite that old, Farmerman. Laughing
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:43 pm
In his column today, George Will had this to say about the Kansas board:
Quote:
Kansas' Board of Education, controlled by the kind of conservatives who make conservatism repulsive to temperate people, voted 6-4 to redefine science. The board, opening the way for teaching the supernatural, deleted from the definition of science these words: "a search for natural explanations of observable phenomena."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:10 pm
real life
Quote:
Well, I'm old but not quite that old, Farmerman. [Laughing]
. My point is that you dont consider written peer reviewed data as observable in your entire argument. Why should I not be as silly as you? and claim the Thomasian defense/
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 01:17 am
wandeljw wrote:
In his column today, George Will had this to say about the Kansas board:
Quote:
Kansas' Board of Education, controlled by the kind of conservatives who make conservatism repulsive to temperate people, voted 6-4 to redefine science. The board, opening the way for teaching the supernatural, deleted from the definition of science these words: "a search for natural explanations of observable phenomena."

Hi Wandeljw,

Would you hire a scientist, like Sir Isaac Newton for instance, if he were to tell you that God created the universe, and it was not a naturalistic accident?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:08 am
real life wrote:

Hi Wandeljw,

Would you hire a scientist, like Sir Isaac Newton for instance, if he were to tell you that God created the universe, and it was not a naturalistic accident?

Yes, but I would only let him teach at the university level. I also trust Newton to keep issues of faith separate from issues of science.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:26 am
I would have Newton teach 17th century English neumismatics.

RL loves to pose arguments that place individuals outside of their time and then he assumes that, were they alive today, they would not avail themselves of "new theory" .
Hed assume that everyone would, like Einstein, sit in a corner and pout about the good old days when there werent these damn quanta to futz with.

Id reserve a hiring decision on someone like NEwton. Wed obviously hold a series of interviews and he would, of course, be required to present a few seminars to the staff . Our decision would be based on how well Sir Isaac would perform . He would have a lot of catching up to do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 08:34 am
I suspect he'd never pass the piss test for drug abuse, he was found of a little opium from time to time . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:06 am
Opium was the religion of the learned class
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 10:11 am
Samuel Taylor Coleridge recounted that he had "gone down to the country" to avoid the plague in London (perhaps an influenza empidemic?) and that he had there taken a half grain of opium in the form of tincture of Laudenum (opium in brandy--my god, a half grain ? ! ? ! ? Hell, we used to give a quarter grain to boys who were gut-shot . . .)

He then awoke from an opium dream, and began to write his poem Kubilai Khan, but then was interruped by an importunate caller, whom he excoriated. I've always hated the s.o.b. myself--Coleridge never completed the poem . . .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:02 am
Setanta wrote:
Samuel Taylor Coleridge recounted that he had "gone down to the country" to avoid the plague in London (perhaps an influenza empidemic?) and that he had there taken a half grain of opium in the form of tincture of Laudenum (opium in brandy--my god, a half grain ? ! ? ! ? Hell, we used to give a quarter grain to boys who were gut-shot . . .)

He then awoke from an opium dream, and began to write his poem Kubilai Khan, but then was interruped by an importunate caller, whom he excoriated. I've always hated the s.o.b. myself--Coleridge never completed the poem . . .

Bummer. I loved the Ancient Mariner.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:16 pm
I think that ol' boy may have nipped at the old laudenum bottle a lot more often than he admitted too . . .

My favorite Coleridge quip:

When taken to task as a fool at a social gathering, by a merchant type, he replied:

Sir, i agree with your general rule
That every poet is a fool
But you, yourself, may serve to show it
That every fool is not a poet.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:12 pm
farmerman wrote:
Opium was the religion of the learned class

lmao.
0 Replies