Kansas School Board Redefines Stupidity

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:04 am
Naw, we've been ridiculing Robertson here, too . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:42 am
Timber, I must join the huzzah brigade. Well, is that which your statement has been put.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:42 am
Me too.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:52 am
real life wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
"Hyper-evolutionist teacher"? Lord only knows what that means.

I've read that the strategy of ID advocates is simply to introduce a debate of some sort into the classroom discussion. As in, "one the one hand, and on the other hand..."

It all sounds so innocent---and so clever. The thin edge of the wedge....

Scary stuff.

What if students started thinking that they could get away with holding a different opinion?

I tell you, this dissent is dangerous ........................dangerous.

We've got trouble, boys. How shall we keep students from asking these questions?

There is nothing wrong with well thought out questions.

ID isn't well thought out. It makes a claim that evolution can't be real because it doesn't answer every qeustion. Then ID proposes an answer that doesn't answer any questions. Id violates the very rules it used to slap down evolution. Complete confusion and lack of logic.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 10:15 am
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
"Hyper-evolutionist teacher"? Lord only knows what that means.

I've read that the strategy of ID advocates is simply to introduce a debate of some sort into the classroom discussion. As in, "one the one hand, and on the other hand..."

It all sounds so innocent---and so clever. The thin edge of the wedge....

Scary stuff.

What if students started thinking that they could get away with holding a different opinion?

I tell you, this dissent is dangerous ........................dangerous.

We've got trouble, boys. How shall we keep students from asking these questions?

ID isn't well thought out. It makes a claim that evolution can't be real because it doesn't answer every qeustion. Then ID proposes an answer that doesn't answer any questions. Id violates the very rules it used to slap down evolution. Complete confusion and lack of logic.

This is not, I think, an accurate representation of the position most IDers take.

Neither evolution nor ID have much in the way of direct evidence to work with since neither has ever been directly observed.

The evidence that is available to evolutionists and IDers alike is largely circumstantial in nature. As such it is open to a variety of interpretations.

Most evolutionists hate to admit that this is so, but until they can show direct observation of evolution, this is where we are.

For evolutionists to present inference and circumstantial evidence as conclusive is, I think, a bit too optimistic on their part.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 10:19 am
It just cracks me up when i see you use the verb "to think" in a sentence. Your statements are not accurate representations of the deep gulf between scientists who study evolution (there ain't no such thing as an "evolutionist") and the creationists who have recast themselves as IDers in order to slip in an agenda which was struck down by the Supremes when billed as creationism.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:28 pm
real life wrote:
parados wrote:

This is not, I think, an accurate representation of the position most IDers take.

Neither evolution nor ID have much in the way of direct evidence to work with since neither has ever been directly observed.

The evidence that is available to evolutionists and IDers alike is largely circumstantial in nature. As such it is open to a variety of interpretations.

Most evolutionists hate to admit that this is so, but until they can show direct observation of evolution, this is where we are.

For evolutionists to present inference and circumstantial evidence as conclusive is, I think, a bit too optimistic on their part.

That is very silly reasoning. We have never seen a mountain created by 2 tectonic plates crashing together but it is well established based on other evidence that it has occurred. We didn't see the Grand Canyon created by erosion but the science supports that it was created that way. We haven't seen the polar ice caps or glaciers created but it is well known that they are caused by precipitation. We didn't see the sedimentation that created sandstone but that doen't mean we don't have a clue how the rocks were formed. We didn't see the formation of oil and coal but we have a good idea how that happened.

Every branch of science often takes small observed changes and extrapolates over long time periods. We have seen DNA change. We have seen species become unable to have offspring with other descendents from a common ancestor. We have seen NOTHING observable that relates to an intelligent design. There is quite a difference in the science behind ID and evolution. They are in no way comparable unless you ignore the standards of science completely.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:55 pm
parados wrote:
There is quite a difference in the science behind ID and evolution. They are in no way comparable unless you ignore the standards of science completely.

Well said Parados,

Let's hear that last part again...

parados wrote:
...unless you ignore the standards of science completely.

...because ignoring the standards of science completely, is exactly what RL and other creationists are doing.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:36 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
...because ignoring the standards of science completely, is exactly what RL and other creationists are doing.

Ignoring them? In Kansas they just changed them! And their vision is to turn the rest of the world into Kansas.

Then it will just be corn, corn, corn everywhere with I70 running right through it!

BTW, Real Life, it would be nice if you would address timberlandko's post.

-J
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:42 pm
Let's throw this back to the top of the response queue

timberlandko wrote:
Poppycock, rl - it isn't a matter of limiting questions, it is a matter of evidentiary support, something abundant, multiply replicable, and widely cross-corroborative in the naturalistic proposition, yet totally lacking in the ID proposition.

Creationists have an agenda, not an argument. To characterize the rejection of the ID fairywork and the championing of the science of Evolution as censorship or the suppression of independent thought and open inquiry is morally, ethically, and academically dishonest - not that any of that bothers creationists and their religionist coconspirators.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 04:04 pm
Well, I wouldn't mind all that corn. I like corn. But the cost of ID being accepted is too great.

Now I'm having difficulties finding the actual wording the Kansas School Board used.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:59 pm
Wolf,
The state of Kansas education standards are listed in a very long document. Most of the existing standards were not changed at all. I did find an excerpt from the standards regarding evolution education where recent revisions have been made to make students aware of criticisms of evolutionary theory
Quote:
a. The theory "postulates an unguided natural process that has no discernable direction or goal."
b. "The view that living things in all the major kingdoms are modified descendants of a common ancestor (described in the pattern of a branching tree) has been challenged in recent years by (i) discrepancies in the molecular evidence, (ii) a fossil record that is not consistent with gradual increases in complexity, and (iii) studies that show that animals follow different rather than identical early stages of embryological development.
c. "New heritable traits may result from new combinations of genes and from random mutations or changes in the reproductive cells. Except in very rare cases, mutations that may be inherited are neutral, deleterious or fatal."
d. "Whether microevolution (change within a species) can be extrapolated to explain macroevolutionary changes (such as new complex organs or body plans and new biochemical systems which appear irreducibly complex) is controversial."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:02 pm
Kansas was settled by Russian farmers who brought with them seed for their wheat. In that seed was the added benefit of the seed of russian thistle also known as tumbleweed. We have Kansas to thank for the prevelance tumbleweed.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 10:44 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Wolf,
Quote:
a. The theory postulates an unguided natural process that has no discernable direction or goal.
b. The view that living things in all the major kingdoms are modified descendants of a common ancestor (described in the pattern of a branching tree) has been challenged in recent years by (i) discrepancies in the molecular evidence, (ii) a fossil record that is not consistent with gradual increases in complexity, and (iii) studies that show that animals follow different rather than identical early stages of embryological development.
c. New heritable traits may result from new combinations of genes and from random mutations or changes in the reproductive cells. Except in very rare cases, mutations that may be inherited are neutral, deleterious or fatal.
d. Whether microevolution (change within a species) can be extrapolated to explain macroevolutionary changes (such as new complex organs or body plans and new biochemical systems which appear irreducibly complex) is controversial.

a. They call it Natural Selection. There is a selective process at work who's goal is to produce organisms that are the most fit for survival given the ever changing conditions of their environment.

b. What they are babbling about here I can't really discern. I suspect it would make sense to an IDer.

c. I do believe this is strait evolutionary theory.

d. "Irreducibly complex" to people with no scientific background perhaps?

I am baffled by the claim that all this challenging has been done in "recent years". As if the creationists haven't been up in arms ever since The Origin of the Species was published. It makes it sound like a new exciting scientific movement that is challenging the old stodgy dogmatic scientific community. Their just unbelievable. Dishonest and harmfully ignorant.

-J
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 10:47 pm
jstark wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Ignoring them? In Kansas they just changed them! And their vision is to turn the rest of the world into Kansas.

Then it will just be corn, corn, corn everywhere with I70 running right through it!

BTW, Real Life, it would be nice if you would address timberlandko's post.

-J

Well, JStark, it's one thing to assert, but it's another thing to prove something.

Timber's assertions that creationists are dishonest, his denial that the present Evolution 24/7 format in schools amounts to censorship, etc are just that. Assertions, not proofs.

And of course, the sheer comic madness of blustering "Creationists have an agenda....." You know, everyone has a point of view that they represent and that they argue for and try to advance. To pretend otherwise, (especially in a forum such as this,) is really priceless comedy, but not much else.
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:07 pm
real life wrote:

Well, JStark, it's one thing to assert, but it's another thing to prove something.

This is exactly what the scientific community has been trying to explain to IDers all along. Proving creationism through the scientific process seems to be to difficult. Easier just to do an end around and get it shoe horned into the science room via political means.

real life wrote:

Timber's assertions that creationists are dishonest, his denial that the present Evolution 24/7 format in schools amounts to censorship, etc are just that. Assertions, not proofs.

Evolution in the class room is what students are taught because it is the best possible explanation that science has come up with. Any science teacher worth their salt is going to let students know that it will be their responsibility to carry the scientific process forward. Giving special attention to creationist theory is taking kids back to where science was over a hundred years ago.

real life wrote:

And of course, the sheer comic madness of blustering "Creationists have an agenda....." You know, everyone has a point of view that they represent and that they argue for and try to advance. To pretend otherwise, (especially in a forum such as this,) is really priceless comedy, but not much else.

The scientific agenda is discovering the truth. You got us, it's true. Agenda confirmed.

-J
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:14 pm
I think it's a great idea to let America drop science from the curriculum - teach ID instead.

It works much to the advantage of the rest of the world. Let us do the research and development. Let us make the scientific advances.

Let the U.S. lag further and further behind.

I've got no problem with that.

My bankbook would love it.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:15 pm
jstark wrote:
real life wrote:

This is exactly what the scientific community has been trying to explain to IDers all along. Proving creationism through the scientific process seems to be to difficult. Easier just to do an end around and get it shoe horned into the science room via political means.

real life wrote:

Evolution in the class room is what students are taught because it is the best possible explanation that science has come up with. Any science teacher worth their salt is going to let students know that it will be their responsibility to carry the scientific process forward. Giving special attention to creationist theory is taking kids back to where science was over a hundred years ago.

real life wrote:

The scientific agenda is discovering the truth. You got us, it's true. Agenda confirmed.

-J

JStark,

Would you agree that evolution deals largely with evidence that is circumstantial in nature, since no creature has ever been directly observed to evolve into another creature?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:18 pm
Corn? I suppose we've got some corn, but we've got a heck of a lot of wheat. And not that many tumbleweeds.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:22 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Corn? I suppose we've got some corn, but we've got a heck of a lot of wheat. And not that many tumbleweeds.

Tico,

Are you in KS? What part?
0 Replies