Am I crazy to be an art major?

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:19 pm
I've seen two threads now on the difficulty of getting any work in art, one specifically about illustration, which is what I hope to do. I am in my second year of college now and working towards a degree in Studio Art.

I had heard a lot of encouraging things before I started school about the chances of getting into the field of children's book illustration, but now I'm getting a bit discouraged after reading the input here. Any hopeful words to buoy my flagging spirits? Anyone here involved successfully (success in my definition is pretty modest, by the bye-- not making one's whole living from illustration or anything, just part of the income on a semi-regular basis) in illustration, by chance?

And if anyone does have experience in the field of illustration, am I making a mistake to get my degree in studio art, should I find a school w/ a major specifically in illustration, or is any art degree suitable enough to get a foot in the door?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,894 • Replies: 32
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:30 pm
I don't have your answer, but nothing is ever wasted, especially education. Who knows, you might get the degree and end up in some completely other line of work, and suddenly your knowledge or ability become valuable in a completely unexpected way.

My sister majored in languages for two years, switched to math, and became one of the most successful people I know. I doubt the first two years were wasted.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:35 pm
very true, roger... so my aunt and benefactor keeps reminding me. Smile But I do worry that I'll have no qualifications for a fall back. I guess at that point I'd go back and get my teaching credential or something. I mean, I know it'll work out one way or the other...but I really want my art career!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:38 pm
Whatever you decide, Cyphercat, be sure to keep art in your life. There is a great and profound difference between being an artist for a living and being an artist as a way of life.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:45 pm
Wise words, indeed, JLNobody. I am very tired of people who seem to think of higher education as a kind of "trade school" where they'll learn a skill that will earn them a good living later on or open a door on golden opportunities because they have the "right" degree from the "right" college or university. That's not what education is supposed to be about.

As to your question, cyphercat, I'm not in that field so can't give you any first-hand advice. But from what I do know of the publishing world, there is free-lance work available for illustrators. It's mostly a matter of making the right connections. And right about where you are right now probably isn't a bad time to start. Does your school have anything like a placement office? Talk to them or to your faculty advisor about opportunities in the field, then send out some feelers.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:17 pm
I don't mean to sound like I am approaching it as trade school, that I have to make money off of my education in art or it's not worth it. I love being in school and I love artwork, I'd be going to school for the same degree even if I knew it wouldn't get me a job... I just want to have hope of getting employment as an artist because it would be such a pleasure to make a living that way and because it's been a goal for so long. I will, of course, always keep at my artwork in any case, it's been part of my life since I was just a sprout, can't stop now!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:50 pm
It has been my observation (impressionistic as it may be) that the college majors who seem to be more concerned with their chosen subject matter than with the job it might provide are students of philosophy, art, and anthropology/archaeology. It seems that no matter how the job market looks the enrollments in these fields remain constant. Few people enter these fields to make money; they do it because of their fascination with the work itself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:21 am
Agree with all here.

As a corollary, I don't think someone whose work doesn't sell isn't doing real art, or someone who carries on an older traditional approach to art rather than breaking new ground is not doing art.

cyphercat, we could tell, I think, by your question wording that you value art for itself.

Making a living can get to be important and is reasonable to think about. I think M. Andrew's suggestion is helpful.
As to a special illustration school, I don't know the value or advisability of that.

I have mostly made my living as a landscape architect, a field that often but not always involves a lot of drawing and drafting, and some fair level of creativity - I don't, therefore, feel like drawing or painting up a storm when I get home from work. So... there is something to be said for part time illustration, as opposed to full, in that it could leave you energy for later interests like painting or sculpture, etc. On the other hand, creative satisfaction may only leave you wanting to do more...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:31 am
Id like to do a creative job too, do you think i can find what Im looking for!?
Im not dumbing it down but its seems people think mucking about with paint and doodling isnt a proper job, therefore there arnt many around.

Good luck with your education and your search.If this is what makes you get out of bed in the morning then you must continue to persue it.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:27 am
Are you in the UK?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 08:36 am
the degree will open up possibilities you hadn't previously considered, and I agree with the previous posters comments.

Go for it. Aim for your goals but have backup plans. Some people 'make it' in illustration and you could be one of them, As a painter it's outside my field.

Can you write? someone who can both write and illustrate well may have extra options open in illustrating childrens books.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:24 pm
I wonder, Osso, to what extent has the "painting" dimensison of illustration been replaced by digital art techniques.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:51 pm
I don't know m'self, JL. Probably a lot.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:26 am
Material Girl: no, I'm in the US.
Vivien: I do like to write, so maybe that will be a possibility...but from what I've read that usually comes into play after you are already an established illustrator.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 05:07 am
that's true - but if you can produce something unique and exceptional - well there's a chance Very Happy
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 07:37 am
Just as an aside here, I hold a BFA in Art. This meant I took all of the painting classes I wanted, all of the sculpture and printmaking classes I wanted, and quite a bit of art history. I then got an emphasis in Graphic Design.

True Graphic Design gets underplayed so much in the world today because the popular belief is that anyone with a copy of photoshop or illustrator can do it.

To a degree this is true, but you add a college-level art background to that, and the skills you learn in designing on paper, the rules of design that apply to color, the rule of thirds, all of that can be easilly applied to Graphics with profound results.

I got to take the courses I wanted, and still managed to get a very marketable degree that utilizes the skills I learned in art. It doesn't really matter if you're all that great at computers. You choose 2 programs to learn, and learn them. The rest will come.

Don't ever shy away from doing something you really want, there are ALWAYS applications to be found for what you learn in college.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 10:43 pm
Vivien wrote:
that's true - but if you can produce something unique and exceptional - well there's a chance Very Happy

IF I can produce something unique and exceptional?! I am quite certain you mean "when"! Laughing
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 10:48 pm
thanks questioner, that's really interesting. That also makes reassures me about the computer skills part, which has been a bit of a concern to me.

I appreciate all the input from everyone!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 02:14 am
cyphercat wrote:
Vivien wrote:

IF I can produce something unique and exceptional?! I am quite certain you mean "when"! Laughing

yes of course I did! Laughing
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:40 pm
I just have to say I'm so proud to be a featured topic. I'd like to thank the academy! *sob!*
0 Replies