Whole lotta' shakin' goin' on

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:44 am
OK, I'll confess up front: I don't know much about cars. So I figured someone out there will be able to help me with this problem.

I bought a used car back in August. No real problems with it until recently, when I took it out on the highway. At low speeds (5-20 mph) the car does a kind of slow shimmy back and forth; at high speeds (>45 mph) it shakes -- sort of like driving a car that is attached to a paint mixer. I'm guessing that it is a front end alignment problem, but I'd be glad to hear some other suggestions as to what it might be before I take it into a repair shop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,601 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
yeah alignment, or suspension (shocks an stuff) or simply a bent wheel.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:51 am
Most likely front-end alignment. Go to a reputable national tire company shop and have them look it over. Write down what they say. Go to a different national tire company shop, and do the same. Go to four or five. At each one, lead them to believe your interested in a full set of new tires, without actually committing to the purchase. You should be able to get them to put it up on the rack and have a look out of simple greed.

Good luck, and keep us informed. By the way, if it is the front end alignment, and its really shaking, you need to get it dealt with soon. If you have problems with the suspension, its even more critical, because as any one part of the suspension fails, it puts immediate severe stress on every other part.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:51 am
A missing sway bar bushing will do it, but only on vehicles that have sway bars.

A slipped belt on a tire will too. If you get the wheels off the ground and give them a spin, this looks real neat.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:14 pm
Thank you very much, gentlemen. Your advice will, no doubt, permit me to sound just a bit less like an idiot when I bring my car in for service.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:12 pm
Well, don't get too cocky, Joe . . . never underestimate the power of a grease monkey to make a monkey out of you . . . or me . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 03:27 pm
Here I come with the obligatory A2k remonstrance. "You oughta get that fixed real quick"
There, noone needs to add that.
0 Replies