Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 10:37 am
A while back I heard that a bowl of cornflakes has more salt in it than a packet of crisps(chips to you USA peeps)which I was very surprised at.

I was eating a packet of crisps earlier and I thought Id look at the salt content...there wasnt any!!andfor a packet of SALT and vinegar crisps I was a tad confused.

It had salt and vinegar flavouring but no salt....

...I just went and checked the packaging,it says Salt and Vinegar then underneath it says 'flavour crisps'!!!

My goodness, the way the use of words plays a part in what we eat.
We may think we are being helathy by having a strawberry flavoured yoghurt but if its just flavoured it may mean there isnt a genuine strawberry in site!

Just had to share that with someone.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,403 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:11 am
did you look for the word sodium?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:20 am
Last time I was at the store, I bought the "salt flavored" salt. You know, not the real salt, just the flavored salt.

I'm sure it's healthier.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:42 pm
I don't know why it is, but every time I eat a lot of salt, I get really thirsty.

every single time.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 01:13 pm
Hmm. Does that happen with the "salt flavored" salt, or just the real stuff?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 01:35 pm
I think....well, gosh! I DON'T KNOW!

But then, the part that gets really strange, is after I get thirsty, I'll drink all this diet sprite and stuff, like 8 cans, and later on, I have to pee about 5 times in a row....

how weird is that.....
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 01:44 pm
I wonder if you have a kidney problem or something? Might want to check with your doctor.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:39 pm
Chai - lick your skin (the back of your hand) and then lick someone else (ask first!). If you taste saltier than the other person then you may naturally have higher sodium retention levels in your body. Then when you do eat salt, you may be triggering a natural body defense that needs to dilute the substance and which makes you thirsty. Are you a heavy sweater? Most people lose salt via their sweat and perspiration. If you don't sweat much then you might be retaining that salt and ...

I don't even know what I'm talking about. That's all pure crap. I started typing and look what happened!

But I did find this this cool website that might know what it's talking about.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:41 pm
Ooh and the peeing is another way of getting rid of salt. It sounds like your body is trying to regulate itself - the salt level can be out of balance very easily with you.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:04 pm
ummm.....heeven honey.......i was kidding.......
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:05 pm
I know, I'm just so subtle.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:14 pm
You're a pisser woman!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:56 pm
I still pine for the days when you had to search through the bag of chips to find the little blue twist bag with the salt in it. And come to think of it if you didn't want to risk it with the salt you could always throw it out. Of course this is in the days before flavoured crisps. I believe the first flavour was cheese and onion. There was rioting in the streets when it came out. I remember it well.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 04:03 pm
God I miss cheese & onion. That is one flavor that you can't get here in the U.S.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 04:33 pm
I had dill flavored chips the other day.

zaps I think

really good

made me thirsty tho.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 04:35 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I know, I'm just so subtle.

What?! You were kidding!!??

Does that mean you don't drink Diet Sprite?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:02 pm
Chips/crisps with the salt separate??? How well did it stick on?

Last weekend we had a bash and had Kettle Chips in sour cream and dill, and salt and fresh ground pepper flavors. Both were excellent!

My parents were trying to cut down on salt, and purchased salt-free cornflakes. I had a bowl, and decided that if I tore the box up into flake-sized pieces, they'd probably taste better. I'm a salt craver, tho. I'll take a handful of salt before a Hershey bar most of the time.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 01:37 pm
The potato chip aisle in the typical US supermarket is a wonder to behold. So many options! Makes one proud of our capitalist system...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 04:17 am
D'artagnan wrote:
The potato chip aisle in the typical US supermarket is a wonder to behold. So many options! Makes one proud of our capitalist system...

Too right. For the average Australian tourist entering a Safeway for the first time is a humbling experience. There must be a name for the affliction visited on one when faced with an overwhelming number of choices.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 11:56 am
I wonder what Karl Marx would make of an American supermarket...
0 Replies