Chuck Close

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:31 pm
Hi!
I have to do a self-portrait in the style of chuck close for school, and I was wondering if anyone had any techiniques, suggestion, etc.
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,872 • Replies: 11
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:01 pm
http://www.thecityreview.com/reeve2.gif

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/1998/index_page_images/chuck_close_sp.jpg

This reminds me of Pointillism

http://www.epcomm.com/center/point/myseurat.gif

http://quizzart.free.fr/pointilisme/seurat.gif

It looks like it takes a lot of patience, time, and planning, especially if you never done it before.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:47 pm
If I had this assignment, this is what I would do:

1-Find a good picture of myself, good coloring, and clear.

2-Enlarge the picture.

3-Draw the outline of image on canvas or whatever your using.

4-Divide (lines) the different areas, where different colors will be used.

5-When the map of your image is ready, start filling in the spaces with the colors that correspond to your picture in the CC style.

Good luck. Maybe someone else might have a different approach.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:50 pm
Huh, me, I'd just paint it... but I don't remember all that many of Close's pieces looking pointillistic. I guess I have to review the work..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:55 pm
I guess I need to ask what school and what are the expectations...
if it is high school or community college, I'd just try to paint like him. If it is - there or elsewhere - a place that rewards thinking outside the box, I'd try for that. Is it a short assignment or a quarter long project?

Back with potentially more lucid comment after I review C. Close image links.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:08 pm
Osso, can you see the images I posted? I'm never sure if others can see them. If you see them you will know what I mean.

#2-To enlarge picture, it's to see the shadows better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:21 pm
Yes, I can.
0 Replies

giantpiazza31

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:24 pm
yay! thank you for all your help! (but that doesn't mean you have to stop with the suggestions)
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:28 pm
I think CC's style is more complicated. Pointillism was just points.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:34 pm
This quote by Close on Artcyclopedia -

There is a tradition of emphasizing those key areas of the face which control likeness, while the skin, neck, hair and background are not considered of primary importance in the reading of a portrait. I wanted to make those areas almost as interesting and important as the more symbolic areas of the face.
- Chuck Close, quoted in Realists at Work

suggests a basis for his grid technique, which was often if not always involved with facial portraits.

So, do a face. I gather much of his work is large. The faces are human. You could do a small mouse writ large relative to the mouse's (or whatever) size.

I dunno, it sounds to me like an assignment to use a photo of your own face and paint it his way, as part of learning painting techniques. That may be what the teacher is expecting you to do.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:16 pm
If I were you, I would take a digital picture of yourself, then zoom in with picture edittiting software to the point where you can see the individual pixels, and use those as a guide to painting.

Alternatively, you can just cheat and rasturbate your image.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:24 am
Individual wrote:
If I were you, I would take a digital picture of yourself, then zoom in with picture edittiting software to the point where you can see the individual pixels, and use those as a guide to painting.

Alternatively, you can just cheat and rasturbate your image.

Excellent idea!
0 Replies