Real rear window or pseudo moon-roof

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:13 am
I've been noticing the latest models, and thinking about the Toyota Prius. It is a bit extreme in design with its nearly horizontal rear window, but there are others that are similar. It seems to me that seeing out of your rear window via your rear-view mirror is pretty important, safety-wise. But what can you see directly behind you with a rear window facing almost directly into the sky?

Is the location of the Prius window a function of the electric components of the motor or is it a function of a designer's fantasy?

Any comments?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,572 • Replies: 6
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:29 am
According to a consumer report survey, the Toyota Prius has fewer
blind spots than other cars.

SURVEY
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:57 am
I don't think the angle of the glass is as important as the "drop" is. The drop being vertical distance between the top of the window and the bottom. The drop and distance of the window from the mirror will make up the total viewing angle.

The Prius is still way ahead of the fastback's of the late 1960s/early 1970s.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:10 pm
Rear window
Well, to me it looks as though the "drop" is very small, since the Prius rear window looks almost horizontal.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:43 pm
Tomkitten,

I would look into the hybrids and Prius more carefully.
How long does it take to equalize the the cost of the Prius over comparable cars? What is the estimated cost of
battery replacement when the time comes?
You should check the internet and look at titles such as
"Hybrids, yes or no" "hybrids vs regular cars"
"Hybrids vs Diesel"
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 04:08 pm
Rear window
The amortization of a car by calculating annual gas expenditure isn't the only thing, nor always the most important thing. Fuel efficiency in itself is a major consideration, regardless of gas prices. In connection with this you have to factor in the degree of air pollution.

Then there are more personal decisions - seating comfort; convenient arrangement of controls and dashboard information, and, of course, safety.

I would want to be sure of as much of a clear visual field as possible, and I wonder about this with the Prius.

I'm not at the moment in the market for a new car, but I like to keep abreast of new auto developments, and I like the idea of the hybrid.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 04:44 pm
Last time I checked, there's one surefire way to see how the blind spots are in the car.

Let's say you're driving, and a Toyota dealership is coming up. Maybe you're heading towards it because it's your intended destination, or maybe you're just on your way to get some ass herpes cream at CVS.

You stop at said Toyota dealer.

Sit in Prius. Make mental note(or on notepad, if you're so inclined) of blind spots and mirror/window positions and ratios.

Anyway, to answer your question: you're not looking directly into the sky out of the rear view mirror. It's a normal view.
0 Replies