Norman Rockwell

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 07:45 am
A major retrospective of his work, Norman Rockwell: Pictures For The American People opens on November 6th at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta. Later the show will batter down the walls of museums in six other cities, including the Guggenheim Museum in New York.

As soon as I find out more I will post it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,019 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:02 am
Thx, Angelique. I'll be watching this space for the Guggenheim dates and whether the exhibit is due to come to Boston.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:11 am
Your very welcome MA*smiles* I'm definitely going to see it myself.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:34 am
No matter what anybody says (and the revisionistsare many) Norman Rockwell is too im portant a US artist to trivialize.
I hadda say that cause I know the next bunch of people are gonna be detractors of this mans body of work.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:37 am
Actually, that's what I was going to say, too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:49 am
hee hee beeetcha fer once.

I hope it comes to Philly or DC. Ive always been amazed at Rockwell and his ability to direct our eyes by mostly action tricks and cues.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:49 am
keeping my mouth shut.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 09:06 am
Rockwell was ambivalent about his position as an artist. He always described himself as an illustrator not a painter.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 09:16 am
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 09:51 am
anyone who painted this is ok by me:

http://www.guggenheim.org/exhibitions/past_exhibitions/rockwell/images/problem_md.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 09:59 am
I appreciate Rockwell very much. Let the detractors have their say; it will not sway me.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:54 pm
Of course he was primarily an illustrator, not a studio painter. That, for me, does not detract from his not inconsiderable talent. His vision is unique and immediately recognizable. You take one look and say, immediately, "Oh, that's a Rockwell," without even needing to look for the signature. For me, it is the very naivetee of some of his story-telling pictures that is so refreshing. In spite of the high technical skill, they remind one of some of the better "primitives," e.g. Grandma Moses.

Don't forget that a number of other respected painters also did commercial illustrations. Winslow Homer started his career as an illustrator for Harper's Weekly during the US Civil War. Toulouse Lautrec did posters for the Moulin Rouge nightclub and other venues. (BTW, there's a fine article on Homer in this week's New Yorker by Adam Gopnik.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
Rockwell's pix sometimes creep me out.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 01:54 pm
littlek wrote:
Rockwell's pix sometimes creep me out.

Why? They are often sentimental, sometimes maudlin, but creepy is not a term I would apply to them
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 02:02 pm
Acquiunk wrote:

Thank you for the information Acquiunk! The only information I found following my friends lead was an old exhibit. Very Happy
0 Replies