1968 Mustang Sprite

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 06:28 am
It has sat unstarted in a garage for nineteen years. Body and interior almost pristene. Asking 3000.00 I'm going to offer 2000.00 I have a mechanic friend who knows what to do with it to get it started up again and I"m thinking another 1500.00 to get it road worthy. It's a one owner older lady car that was meticulously kept up while being driven.

Thoughts from experts? It's for my daughter. Surprise Christmas present. She's classic Mustang mad.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,213 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 06:39 am
bear, I'm not familiar with "mustang sprite" is it a Shelby/Cobra? The only "sprite" I know of is the Austin Healy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 07:01 am
check under the mats and inside fenders and anywhere that our enemy Mr Rust can hide. I have Merc Cougars and they are a Mustand by Mercury and of all the problems in restoration, chasing rust was what cost me the most money.

Good luck in whatever you find. Itll be a neat project. Any ideas on the colors?

If the bumpers and chrome are in poor shape there are 2 good restorers one in Pa and one near Roanoke. I can PM them to you if you need. Also, seat restoration is easy, the leatherette can be easily redone into a better than new condition.

If its a stck automatic usually the dingus that engages PARK is broken off on the trans and the car will roll down a slope in P. Ive found a welder who can weld stainless and we use a stainless "keeper" for the P.(You have to get under and look at the linkage to see whats what)

Whatever you do, dont get caught up in doing a paint job in IMRON or some other mettalic spread, It kinda looks shitty on these cars. Id go with a midnight blue had I to do it over again, then Id put on some very dark metallic graphics just lighter than the mid blue.

Is it a convertible or hard top?

Oh yeh, after sitting so long , make sure that the springs have life, check the wheels in the fender wells and see that they align at the correct elevation. This can be fixed by a spring shop and itll make the car go from a tired looking camel into a racy ole Mustand
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 07:03 am
I had so much to say, I sent it twice. I mispelled Mustang, so when I say Mustnd, you know I really mean Msutnd
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 06:55 pm
Thanks for the advise. Sprite refers to the 6 cylinder engine. It's a three speed stabdard on the floor. It's white with a red interior. Bumpers are supposedly in great shape and underneath is perfect, No rust. I'll se for myself tomorrow,
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 12:39 am
Guy showed me about taking a flashlight when looking for rust under the mats and in the wheel wells. Stick shift with a six. A dream for a kid. That was a car that even we of limited capabilities could work on.

Course you could always drop in a 351 Windsor for a little more zip, then youd probly need to put in a larger input shaft because the torque on the tranny would be higher.
NAAAAH, just get her a Sirius satellite radio for better performance in sound.
Reds and whites was theeee standard colors I think they had white wheels with the pony cap and the red white and blue chevron on the symbol. Those hubbie caps are now worth a small fortune at specialty shops. If the white on the wjheels is rusted, you can clean that up with oxalic acid and sanding . Then get the wheels POWDER COATED, theyll gleam like a new toilet bowl. I think the standard white was more a cream color, this the powder coat guys can match easily
0 Replies