Bill Casselman, new member, says goodbye!

Synonymph

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:49 pm
If the American military is monitoring his stupid site, he'd probably never even realize it. Wouldn't they use proxies, in order to be covert?

There are visitors from the military showing up in my blog stats, and they're probably just surfing in their free time like anyone else. But then, I'm not paranoid and my blog isn't anti-American.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:55 pm
Farmerman is on my list of ten people that I would like to get drunk with in a quiet Pub.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:57 pm
I think he's said more than once that he doesn't drink but he'd probably be willing to watch you do so. (Maybe he'd be the designated driver?)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:04 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Farmerman is on my list of ten people that I would like to get drunk with in a quiet Pub.

So why do you want to destroy such beautiful English heritage?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:24 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Who is Bill Casselman anyway, and why does he think he is exempt from following the rules? I don't think anyone is being mean. Just a little miffed maybe at the man for daring to insult our site and our mods.

Yes! Damn presumptuous bastich!

As though we are incapable of insulting our own goddamn site, and our own bloody Mods!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:26 pm
Piffka wrote:

" lividly plunkered."

That is a fine expression. It means angry, I think...but can you explain how and why?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:30 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

So why do you want to destroy such beautiful English heritage?

You see, although he is a bit on the ugly side, he always cracks me up with the way that he says things.

As I tend to find things even funnier after several pints of Adnams Broadside, I think that having Farmerman present would make for a hilarious evening.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:32 pm
Synonymph wrote:
If the American military is monitoring his stupid site, he'd probably never even realize it. Wouldn't they use proxies, in order to be covert?

Maybe the bots bear the "Brewster-Jennings" signature?
0 Replies

dlowan

Piffka wrote:
But Tico, that does make a little more sense if you add the introduction to that piece:

Two days after I posted a satirical piece about Bush on my website my site began to be crawled 45 times a day (!!!) by what my site-visit software logged as "American military" metacrawlers.

It has continued to be crawled this often for one solid year. What secrets does the US Military hope to find on a site devoted to Canadian word study and a bit of satire?

I did not use to be anti-American. For 50 years of a my life I was an America booster. What happened? Born-again Republican yahoos happened and took over the governance of America.

I agree with Casselman that internet snooping is pretty screwy. I'm not applauding his tantrum as you quoted it, but ... 45 times a day?

Do you think it is possible that the American Military does not crawl around the 'net? Listen, I hope to god they do and I would be very surprised if they did not.

My wish is that they would be a little more choosy and act on real threats to the CITIZENS OF THE COUNTRY rather than perceived threats to the current administration.

Hmmmm....that is interesting...IS it possible to identify crawlers in that way?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if certain words do not automatically trigger investigation on the net these days. The threat from Canada would be well known.
0 Replies

dlowan

Piffka wrote:
Do you not care for satire, Tico? Weren't you the one with a Mark Twain saying under your name for a while?

I have noted that many Republicans do not care for the current brand of satire going 'round. Bill Casselman is a Canadian satirist, so what do you expect -- someone who's gonna fawn over the Bush administration?

Wikipedia wrote:
Satire is a literary technique of writing or art which exposes the follies of its subject (for example, individuals, organizations, or states) to ridicule, often as an intended means of provoking or preventing change. ...

The main intent of satire is political, social, or moral and not comic. The humor of such a satire tends to be subtle, using irony and deadpan humor liberally.

Well said, Piffka.

Mind you, I do find his satire lacks finesse, and I go for dryness, meself...but wot the hey!

As I said earlier, colossal egos can be great fun, and I am sorry he had such a tanty and left......he would have added some bite and debate here.

Look what he's done already! A discussion of satire!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:40 pm
dlowan wrote:
Piffka wrote:

" lividly plunkered."

That is a fine expression. It means angry, I think...but can you explain how and why?

Why thank you. I liked it too. I admit, I made it up on the spot and doubt anyone else has ever said it before. In baseball a plunked ball is one that is hit and drops suddenly. When I was chastised by the mods I felt as though someone slugged me in the stomach and my high spirits dropped like a rock + I felt righteously angry and bruised by the experience.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:43 pm
dlowan wrote:
Mind you, I do find his satire lacks finesse, and I go for dryness, meself...but wot the hey!

As I said earlier, colossal egos can be great fun, and I am sorry he had such a tanty and left......he would have added some bite and debate here.

So far, not all that appealing to me either, so I wish Bethie'd make an appearance and point to some of his funnier prose.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 02:48 pm
dlowan wrote:
Piffka wrote:
Do you not care for satire, Tico? Weren't you the one with a Mark Twain saying under your name for a while?

I have noted that many Republicans do not care for the current brand of satire going 'round. Bill Casselman is a Canadian satirist, so what do you expect -- someone who's gonna fawn over the Bush administration?

Wikipedia wrote:
Satire is a literary technique of writing or art which exposes the follies of its subject (for example, individuals, organizations, or states) to ridicule, often as an intended means of provoking or preventing change. ...

The main intent of satire is political, social, or moral and not comic. The humor of such a satire tends to be subtle, using irony and deadpan humor liberally.

Well said, Piffka.

It appears I only care for good satire.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 03:20 pm
Hmmm....lol...did you even know his stuff was satire?
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:04 pm
Just because he isn't paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get him.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 04:52 pm
UGLY??? why you inbred son of a Pict. My visage bears no traces 0f ug. Its , instead, a brooding character borne of cannon and war.

I need a break, Im starting to identify with my avatar.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:08 pm
You look constipated to me.

Or is it piles?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:15 pm
Gettin' kind of far afield, aren't we? I thought farmerman started this thread to talk about felting.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:15 pm
There you go, man, keep as cool as you can,
Face piles
Of trials
With smiles.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
And keep on thinking free.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:17 pm
ORRRRR REEEEEE MUUUUUUUS
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 04:35:38