Bill Casselman, new member, says goodbye!

Eva

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2005 10:33 pm
ossobuco wrote:
...I welcome Bill back, hope he engages.
None of us are princes, even the princes.

It's a lot nicer around here when the newbies don't act like one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 09:43 am
Until now, I was neutral. Now I join the chorus of, "Don't let it hit you where nature split you . . ."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:00 am
I had tea and toast with orange marmalade for breakfast. Pretty good.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:01 am
at least he left us with a demonstration of his famed linguistic prowess. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:08 am
Funniest thread since a newbie named "medved" came in and claimed to have been part of a fossil discovery of human digits from the Pennsylvanian aged Pottsville formation over 300 million years old.

Ill bet Mr Casselman lives alone.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:16 am
Toxic spritz? <heeeheeee>

He's good!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:17 am
NOW I really have some more doubts if it is such a misfortune, not to read more from the "Bill Moyers of Canadian language" as ehBeth called him.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:24 am
What do you mean, Walter? He's sort of a Lewis Black.

Check out the free audio here. It'll make you laugh:

http://www.lewisblack.net/
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:24 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Until now, I was neutral. Now I join the chorus of, "Don't let it hit you where nature split you . . ."

I'll have to agree with Edgar on this one. I was willing to give this fellow a chance, but I don't care who you are, if your ego gets in the way, I don't want to know you.

He obviously doesn't have much respect for us here with the rhetoric he spews above. We're just average everyday folks here, just like his neighbors. Does he have repect for them?

If you're not even going to give something a chance, you're better off buggering off and make an idiot of yourself elsewhere.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 10:25 am
dyslexia wrote:
I had tea and toast with orange marmalade for breakfast. Pretty good.

Hey, Dys! I had waffles. Hmmmm.... :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:01 am
Re: Bill Casselman's Last Reply to Xenophobic Forum Nonentit
Bill Casselman wrote:
ehBeth -

I'm replying to you because your response to my precipitate departure from this forum seemed reasonable or neutral...

Really? Rolling Eyes I would have said "fawning."

Honestly, ehBeth, this guy may be talented, but so are a lot of our other regulars who are much less enamoured of themselves. I am surrounded by people who excel in their fields, but most of them have the good sense to act like regular people. Because of this, I have very little tolerance for pretention, and I'm afraid Mr. Casselman has just used it up.

He should probably stick to his own blog, where he can make rules to suit himself and hold court for the adoring masses.

A2K is not the place to expect hero worship, Mr. Casselman. I've never seen someone alienate so many so quickly around here. So goodbye, good luck, and good riddance.

Hurry...your public awaits.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:46 am
Farmer, I'll bite, who is Peter Dzodsky?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:37 pm
Laughing Thank you Bill Casselman. It is, as I said, good riddance.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 01:00 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Farmer, I'll bite, who is Peter Dzodsky?

To quickly answer myself, he is referring to Peter Gzowski, link here - http://www.cbc.ca/news/obit/gzowski_peter/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 03:07 pm
Re: Bill Casselman's Last Reply to Xenophobic Forum Nonentit
Eva wrote:
Bill Casselman wrote:
ehBeth -

I'm replying to you because your response to my precipitate departure from this forum seemed reasonable or neutral...

Really? Rolling Eyes I would have said "fawning."

Eva, did I copy you on the email I sent Mr. Casselman?
No.

I didn't think so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I'd seen some of the responses here before I e-mailed him, I certainly wouldn't have - as I suggested people here were generally reasonable. I feel like I should apologize to him now - as I brought him back to read some pretty damn snarky comments.

Not saying his response was temperate - but I've certainly got a new perspective on how rough this place can be on newcomers.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 03:13 pm
Yeah. There a certain gleeful nanny-nanny-boo-boo that isn't called for, IMO.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 03:23 pm
osso, yep, I can neither spell nor remember names except as mnemonic devices.
Ehbeth, Im sorry that Ive had anything to do with the mean spirited ness toward Casselman , but Only one guy has ever frosted my shorts like he and that was Dominic John on abuzz.

Everone follows rules except him it seems, and then he blames others for his inabilities with "details".
Im sure itlle be our loss but as I said before, we seem to lose more etymology guys for the same reasons, delicate egos, are they all primi donni.?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 05:31 pm
I thought people posting were fairly temperate myself, except for Mr. Casselman.

Do we make exceptions for the very special once we know he or she is special?

Do the mods regret daring to pull his weblink, thus editing someone who never will be edited, in their little mode as little people cutting out immediate selfpromotion from posts?

Perhaps I'm wrong; I'll have to reread both threads. I have some sympathy for climbing on a high horse.

In the meantime I won't be regretting my virulently vitriolic word of violation, 'prince'.

This is all too bad, as chances are I'd enjoy discussions with him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 05:54 pm
sozobe wrote:
Yeah. There a certain gleeful nanny-nanny-boo-boo that isn't called for, IMO.

Pardon me?

Elucidation in English would be of great assistance!

I still think what I said first up.

Bummer that his ego got in the way, I bet he would have been fun.

I have to say, though, that misusing such facility and joy in language to attempt to insult people simply acting upon clearly posted (for those who wish to read) rules, and not only them, but pulling the silly "sheep" etc stuff for the rest of us, is not endearing.

Colossal egos can be enormously fun, and I am sure Mr Casselman would have added a great deal of fantastic content and joy to the forum, but expecting rules to be broken simply because one has fame and a good deal of self regard is rather infantile, no?

I am still very sorry he threw his toys, spat the dummy, and stamped his feet at us.

Well, that he did that, and also took his toys home to play.

Many of us have tantrums, but not all of us have really nice toys to throw and super duper dummies to spit.

Most of us have trouble playing nice when the new kid (no matter how great a new kid he is) has a tantrum the minute he comes to play. We SHOULD play nice even then, but it isn't so easy.

Be nice if Bill took a few deep breaths and came back to play with us.

You can come play at my place any time, Bill! I have tanties myself, so I understand.

Sigh.......this is a bummer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 06:12 pm
I think Mr. Casselman acted like a dork. Presumably the mods will go ahead and pull his dorkishness eventually.

<shrug>

I don't have super-strong feelings either way. If everyone here was saying "hey, be nice, he's a newbie!" I'd be saying "well he's a damn rude newbie." Since most people are saying the latter, I'm just commenting on a certain circling the wagons aspect that, while understandable, concerns me a bit. I like having new people here, and want them to feel welcome -- as a general concept.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 02:16:39