Bill Casselman, new member, says goodbye!

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:14 am
I guess we're mayo crazy, some of us. Mayo used to be called "Salad cream" prior to WWII.

I wonder if mayo + catsup = tomato sauce. Surely you don't mean what we call tomato sauce... that's just plain crushed cooked tomatoes.

Really... I'm thinking if you had proper condiments on your burger you wouldn't need the fried egg, the beetroot and the pineapple. I'm OK with the bacon an the cheese... though I don't normally order them. One quarter of an onion also does seem like A LOT of raw onion.

'Merican hamburger restaurants (fast and slow) tend to have several versions of hamburger. There's a plain bun & beef, a "deluxe" with greens & tomato; a cheeseburger; and then a bunch of named varieties... a meaty burger with extra patty & bacon; an Hawaiian with pineapple and grilled ham, etc.

In Seattle, a lot of people would say that the Red Robin is a venerable place for a good hamburger at a "sit-down" restaurant. Here's their menu (for an idea of just how embellished a burger can be):Signature Hamburgers
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:26 am
Piffka wrote:
I guess we're mayo crazy, some of us. Mayo used to be called "Salad cream" prior to WWII.

Really?

Mayonnaise is a thick, creamy sauce or dressing that is made of oil, egg yolks, lemon juice or vinegar, and seasonings.
Quote:
Mayonnaise was invented in 1756 by the French chef of the Duc de Richelieu. After the Duc beat the British at Port Mahon, his chef created a victory feast that was to include a sauce made of cream and eggs. Realizing that there was no cream in the kitchen, the chef substituted olive oil for the cream and a new culinary creation was born. The chef named the new sauce "Mahonnaise" in honor of the Duc's victory.

I've an old German cookbook of mid-19th century, which mentiones mayonnaise and how to make it.

Quote:
Salad cream is a creamy, yellow condiment similar to mayonnaise. It is most popular in the United Kingdom, where it is used primarily as a salad dressing.

Salad cream was invented by the H. J. Heinz Company in 1914 and soon became popular, primarily among working class people.
Wiki

I'd never heard of or even tasted salad cream before I was in the UK the first time in the early 60's.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:35 am
I'm not scoffing at the ancient European ancestry of mayo, Walter.

I'm saying that in the United States it used to be known as "Salad Cream" prior to WWII.

I have no idea exactly how the two differ in make-up. They look pretty much the same to me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:37 am
RAW onion?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:38 am
Piffka wrote:
. They look pretty much the same to me.

Mayo and salad cream look the same Shocked
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:43 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Piffka wrote:
. They look pretty much the same to me.

Mayo and salad cream look the same Shocked

Why Shocked... yes. See?

http://www.stefmike.org/mt-blogs/daxiang/images/largenews2002-saladcream.jpg

http://sue.music-cafe.tv/mayo/collection/img/o18.gif
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 03:03 am
I haven't been able to find a real ingredients list (I guess the UK doesn't require those) but I did find this on a Heinz site:

Quote:
HEINZ Dressings
HEINZ Salad Cream and Egg Mayonnaise are both made to a traditional recipe with real eggs and no preservatives.

You see... I'm not the only one who thinks of it as similar to mayo. Maybe the Salad Cream is like Miracle Whip (but I don't think Miracle Whip has eggs). Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 03:33 am
You must have a ingredients list in the EU (and the UK is part of it) :wink:

Salad cream has only 25% oil and 3% egg york - that's the main difference. (Mayonnaise has got 80% oil and full eggs.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 05:51 am
I go to bed , safe in the knowledge that weve dispatched MR whatsisface and then I wake up to the Emeril show.
A burger needs to be grilled on an open charcoal flame. (No pussy gas grills) I like my nitrosamines straight. I need the flavor of seared burnt flesh, then we add the bacon , cheddar , big slicea really pungent onion, and some pepper in big coarse chunks.Either mayo OR ketchup, never both on the same burger.

The grossest burger Id ever seen was at a high class joint, It served bleu cheese and shad roe with a pile of fried onions. They say that was a traditional canal boat burger from the Susquehanna lock and dams . I dont believe it, those guys invented the hoagie not a gourmet burger
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 06:37 am
Gad! You folks are making me hungry. I haven't had a hamburger in...what?...months, anyway, perhaps years. Can't remember the most recent one.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:32 am
salad cream recipe
Mrs Beetons Sauces Revisited
Ireland

Salad Cream

4 Hard Boiled Egg Yolks
4 Tablespoons Cream
1 Teaspoon Prepared Mustard
ΒΌ Teaspoon White Pepper
Vinegar
Salt and Cayenne Pepper, to taste

Remove the egg shells, and pound the yolks in a mortar to a smooth paste. Add the other ingredients, except the vinegar, stir well until thoroughly combined.

Pour in enough vinegar, a little at a time, to make it the consistency of cream. The mixture will then be ready for use.

Average cost: 7d for this quantity.
Sufficient for a moderate-sized salad.

Note: The whites of the eggs, cut into rings, will serve very well as a garnishing to the salad.

SALAD DRESSING

INGREDIENTS
4 eggs
1 teaspoonful of mixed mustard
1/4 teaspoonful of white pepper, half that quantity of cayenne
salt to taste
4 tablespoonfuls of cream
vinegar.

Mode - Boil the eggs until hard, which will be in about 1/4 hour or 20 minutes; put them into cold water, take off the shells, and pound the yolks in a mortar to a smooth paste.

Then add all the other ingredients, except the vinegar, and stir them well until the whole are thoroughly incorporated one with the other.

Pour in sufficient vinegar to make it of the consistency of cream, taking care to add but little at a time. The mixture will then be ready for use.

Average cost, for this quantity, 7d.

Sufficient for a moderate-sized salad.

Note - The whites of the eggs, cut into rings, will serve very well as a garnishing to the salad.

BBB's Notes: You can use a food processor or blender instead of a mortar if you don't have one.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:42 am
Moderator question
Is it possible for the moderator change the title of this thread to "Real life after Casselman." Given it's new direction, it seems more appropriate and we would not continue to give him publicity.

BBB
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:11 am
thatd be a superb idea. Not that we wish to slight Mr Castlemen
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:36 am
Heres a recipe from dear old grammas kitchenBANANA WORM BREAD

Just right for these crisp Fall days
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:49 am
All you wanted to know about army worms
Turning the Worm

When the yearly rains come and the crops are newly planted, in Arusha, Northern Tanzania, farmers worry about losing an entire year's harvest and their livelihood, to one of East Africa's most voracious pests, the army worm. The worm has a voracious appetite for maize, wheat, millet, sorghum and rice.

It's the end of the dry season and farmers are planting maize. Standing guard is the latest weapon in the farmer's arsenal, a moth trap designed to catch the army worm in its early stages. The trap is part of a new early warning system. It's baited with a female sex hormone which lures the male moths into it.

In the morning the trap is checked and the moths counted. It's not designed to cut moth numbers dramatically but it can alert farmers if a plague of worms looks likely so they can raise the alarm. The person with the strongest lungs is given the job of warning the farmers in the fields.

Rogati Kiwale: "When the announcement is made, we do the monitoring. By shaking the maize leaves we find the very young larvae. And if we see the larvae then we take control measures immediately."

Females lay up to 600 eggs at a time. Infestations can reach more than 1000 caterpillars per square metre. For those with money, the next stop is the local pesticide shop.

Janet Mossi, Agrovet: "It's a situation like panicking when the farmers find the army worm in their fields and most of the farmers rush here to buy insecticide and take advice on how much they should use."

Using toxic and expensive pesticides isn't ideal and most can't afford them.

New research from the Natural Resources Institute supported by the UK Department for International Development's crop protection programme may have the answer.

Until recently little was known about the army worm or its lifecycle. After years of scientific trials it seems a natural bio-pesticide could do the job. Nucleo-polyhedrovirus, or NPV, is a viral agent which is lethal to the army worm and the bodies of dead caterpillars remain highly infectious. These can be collected, freeze-dried and pulverised to a deadly powder. The virus kills the caterpillars but is completely harmless to everything else.

Wilfred Mushobozi, Army Worm Novel Control Project: "We found that up to 90 percent of the farmers cannot afford to buy chemical insecticides. NPV is the cheapest method of controlling the army worm. We are talking about one dollar per hectare and it's the safest method. We can apply the NPV in a very environmentally sensitive area without damaging any environment."

It'll take some years to collect enough NPV-infected caterpillars to roll out the scheme across the country but combined with the early warning system, it could soon be saving many farmers from the scourge of the worm.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 01:53 pm
Hey bella...good job in making this a busy, convival and tasty thread. One door shuts...another door opens
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:35 pm
Noooo. Another recipe thread. Bill, how could you do this to us.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 02:57 pm
I'll fight for my right to serve..."Hellmans"
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 04:41 pm
roger wrote:
Noooo. Another recipe thread. Bill, how could you do this to us.

See, if he had stuck around for a bit, he could have indeed saved us!

Actually, I love the way the topic goal posts have shifted..... :wink:

If I were king of the board, I'd do away with all the various forum categories and have one big free-for-all! Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 04:49 pm
Dammit! Where did the Sturm and Drang go!

We have ceased fighting about satire, and now swap goddamned recipes!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 02:19:58