new roof prices

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 09:47 pm
It looks like my home is needing a new roof. It's about 21 years old, I don't have any problems yet, it's just old.

I have no idea what kind of price range to expect. Anyone have any ball park figures on what I can expect to pay for a new roof?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,383 • Replies: 2
No top replies

maxpower hd

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 06:41 am
Prices range greatly from region to region and from contractor to contractor. It also makes a difference wether or not the old roof will be stripped or not. You can do what is called a "go over" if there are not already two layers of shingles on the roof. There are also extra charges if any wood underneath needs to be replaced.

The best bet is to get as many estimates as you can. Be leary of the lowest bid. Not to say all low bids are bad but generally, the low bid is either someone that doesn't know what they are getting into or someone that is not reliable enough to have steady work so he lowballs other bids.

You may want to try asking neighbors who they have used. Word of mouth is sometimes the best advertisement. If they used a contractor they were happy with then you will probably be happy too.

You may also want to check your local chamber of commerce to see if they have any roofers that are registered with the chamber.

Lastly, check with your local better business bureau to make sure the contractor you choose doesn't have multiple complaints registered with them. One complaint may not be unreasonable because there are some unruly homeowners that will never be satisfied no matter what the contractor does.

I've heard of price ranges anywhere from $125 per square for a go over to $325 or more per square for stripping and replacing. This is in the Northeast where the construction business is booming right now. You will likely find lower prices in other regions.
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 10:07 pm
Thanks so much for your input! It was very helpful.
0 Replies