Which American TV Shows Do Non-North Americans Watch?

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:19 am
dagmaraka wrote:
what happened to her? why is she on the ground like that? nobody there to pick her up? men these days...

Laughing dag
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:28 am
My favourites......past and present and in no particular order......

Hill Street Blues. (first turned me on to the amazing quirky vein of American Humour)

The Sopranos (one of the best TV series ever.....anywhere in the world)

Simpsons, Friends (a bit tired of it now), Frasier, Becker (both superb), MASH (wonderful, in its day), Lonesome Dove (superb, and very true to life, I would suspect), Deadwood, Cheers, Taxi, South Park, West Wing, Spin City and many others that I will remember at a later time.

Others I just don't seem to find funny.......Letterman and Seinfeld (Seinfeld is humorous in parts).............

Awful U.S. stuff includes WWF, America's next top model and anything else that is either sickly sweet and/or dumbed down.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:41 am
Well. It looks like quite a lot of our TV gets shown around the world. I notice that CSI gets a lot of kudos abroad as well as locally. I always thought the show was well done, but never quite understood what the hoopla was about. Oh, well.

Notable by it's absence: doesn't anyone abroad like the Law & Order family of shows? They are really, really popular over here, and if anything, are getting better as time goes on.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:36 am
Following KW's post re. Law and Order, I have been on the lookout for it, and have now watched a couple of episodes.

Good stuff. I think I could get into L and O in a big way.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:41 am
I got a set-top box last week which enables me to watch the channel here which sows "Curb Your Enthusiasm", the Larry David show. I like that. I've seen a couple now. But it will never play big in Shepton Mallet.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:55 am
McTag wrote:
But it will never play big in Shepton Mallet.

Is Shepton Mallet the British equivalent of Peoria? Very Happy
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:19 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

Awful U.S. stuff includes.....anything else that is either sickly sweet and/or dumbed down.

Alas, that is a fair percentage of it.

Good news is that we seem to be in a heyday of drama series, with intelligently written shows most days of the week. They have gotten so plentiful that they sometimes conflict with each other timewise.

The bad news is that we are in a downswing regarding sitcoms. There are a few watchable sitcoms, but nothing that compares with the great ones of the past.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:34 am
dagmaraka wrote:
what happened to her? why is she on the ground like that? nobody there to pick her up? men these days...

I tried picking her up and all I got was a slap in the face. Women these days!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 09:38 am
pffft.

they started showing 24 in slovakia. grrrrrrrr. while it is well produced and written (dialogue and such), i hate the blatant propaganda that show is pushing. grrr grrrr triple grrrrr.
0 Replies