sea salt or table salt?

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:38 pm
The lady Diane and I buy sea salt, I have no idea why, is there a difference?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,984 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:51 pm
Yes, You can taste it. Put a little of both in each hand and do a taste test. The table salt is nasty tasting. Try it. Imagine table salt with your magarita. Mad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 06:58 pm
Of course there's a difference. Sea salt costs more.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:27 pm
I have read that table salt has aluminum in it and sea salt doesn't. Among other things, aluminum is implicated in alzheimer's.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:35 pm
Typical table salt has very small portions of Potassium-Iodide added to it (supposedly to prevent iodine deficiency disease of the thyroid gland) which some people (mostly those selling sea salt! Very Happy ) claim is responsible for rampant hyperthyroidism.

The sea salt craze if fueled by the uber-health conscious folks out there but most of them are duped anyway. Most of what is sold as sea-salt is just as refined and processed as the table salt is.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:37 pm
There is iodized sea salt and non iodized.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 07:41 pm
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 05:55 pm
Edgar, your last post got to it first, but I came to post that sea salt retains trace minerals. I have the cheap-o standard salt to put in pasta water and such, but the sea salt (sometime with and sometimes without iodine) to add to foods.
0 Replies

johnsonjones

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 12:12 pm
@dyslexia,
coarse sea salt is best for seasoning meat. Some people use table salt but that is not a good choice.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 12:52 pm
how do they get the salt outta the table.

(I understand the sea...)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2010 04:37 pm
And then there's kosher salt, which I use instead of table salt. How does it compare to sea salt?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2011 03:46 pm
I'll ask this here and see if I get an answer: Is the salt in processed food iodinated?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 10:44 am
I like sea salt - because I have these huge salt grinder thingy and you put it in and grind your own salt - it is like you are really fancy and overly too cool.

And I like the taste.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:05 am
Shouldn't salt be avoided?
djjd62

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:13 am
@Miller,
i never use it beyond what's already in food naturally or what's in pre-packaged foods

an interesting thing i've found while buying food for the food bank, no name food has way more sodium that name brand, also interesting that canned pasta sauce has more sodium that glass bottled brands (and of course food banks want cans so they don't break)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2011 11:18 am
The American Heart association recommends a diet having less than 1500 mg NaCl per day.
0 Replies