Past offense justifies removal of children?

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:36 pm
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/22/national/22custody.html

Quote:
Officials Remove Newborn Over Father's Abuse Case
By KATE ZERNIKE
Published: October 22, 2005

POTTSVILLE, Pa., Oct. 21 - County officials here in Eastern Pennsylvania left notes on Melissa WolfHawk's door, she said, warning her that they were monitoring her pregnancy. They told her they would try to take her child as soon as she gave birth.
She had the Caesarean section on Tuesday. Against her doctors' wishes, she left the hospital two days later to appear in court, but on Friday she lost her fight when a judge gave the boy to Schuylkill County.

At issue, officials say, is not so much Ms. WolfHawk's fitness as a mother as her choice of mates. The newborn's father, her husband, served a decade in prison as a sex offender in New York 22 years ago, convicted in the rape and sodomy of two teenage girls. The boy is the third child Ms. WolfHawk has lost for just that reason. The baby - lawyers are not disclosing his name - will be in temporary custody pending a hearing on longer term arrangements on Oct. 31, as well as an ongoing challenge that Ms. WolfHawk has filed in federal court.

The case illustrates the debate over how far the authorities should go in drawing boundaries between sexual offenders and their neighbors - or, in this case, their own families.

Ms. WolfHawk's lawyer says the county is violating her rights, and misusing the sex offender registries that have been established in the last several years across the country under measures known as Megan's Laws.

"That they're going to decide who you can associate with as a parent, that's just astounding," said Mary Catherine Roper, a lawyer for the American Civil Liberties Union who is representing Ms. WolfHawk. "I don't know when imminent danger to a child became you can't have any friends we don't like, or even any exes we don't like. If you ever associate with someone who turns out to have engaged in child abuse then that's it for you."

County officials argued during the federal court hearings that they had a doctor's report saying that Ms. WolfHawk had used drugs; she denies that, saying there is no evidence in any of her medical records and that she will undergo screening to prove she is clean.

But officials say that their primary concern is the record of her husband, DaiShin John WolfHawk, although there is no evidence, they say, that he has abused children recently.

"He has a history of violent sexual abuse against kids," said Karen Rismiller, a lawyer for Schuylkill County Children and Youth Services. "Just because he served time doesn't allow someone to be around children. He's a sex offender registered in Pennsylvania, New York, and Maryland."

Ms. WolfHawk testified on her own behalf in the hearing Friday, which was closed to the public. She refused to say anything as she walked out of the courtroom, holding her abdomen with a hand still affixed with a hospital bracelet, and wearing a blue sweatshirt reading "Transport for Christ" and her long red hair in braids. Judge Charles M. Miller said she could have two hours of supervised visits with the baby before the next hearing. Her lawyer said she had been breastfeeding the child and would deliver frozen milk to the county. "She's hoping it gets to the baby," Ms. Roper said, "but that obviously isn't the same as holding and breastfeeding her baby."

"It's devastating to an infant to be stripped from his mother in the very first days of his life," Ms. Roper said.

Ms. WolfHawk has expressed support for her husband in previous interviews, saying she saw no evidence that he was the monster depicted by county officials. He appeared with her in federal court last week, but did not appear here Friday. He could not be reached for comment.

Ms. Roper said that the two, who married in June 2002, have maintained separate residences for about two years, and that Ms. WolfHawk would be willing to sign an agreement to stay away from him if that would win her custody of her child.

The county, however, says that the baby is proof that she will not stay away from him. Mr. WolfHawk, now 53, was known as John Joseph Lentini when he pleaded guilty in 1983 to raping and sodomizing two teenage girls. He was sentenced to 5 to 15 years and served 10. Under state versions of Megan's Law, he is required to register with local police.

Mr. WolfHawk changed his name and declares himself chief of an Indian tribe called the Unole E Quoni, which he says has 175 families but is not recognized by any government. Ms. WolfHawk's lawyer said the two met 11 or 12 years ago; they are both members of the tribe.
Ms. WolfHawk had a son by a previous marriage, and Schuylkill County officials moved to take custody of him two weeks after the WolfHawks married, her lawyer said. The boy, now 8, remains in foster care. She became pregnant by Mr. WolfHawk and moved to nearby Lancaster County in 2003, because, a caseworker testified in federal court, she feared that Schuylkill County would take the child. Schuylkill County alerted Lancaster County, whose officials found her living in Schenectady, N.Y., and took the child back to Pennsylvania. By that time, a couple Ms. WolfHawk had lived with briefly in Maryland had filed for custody of the child, arguing that Mr. WolfHawk was unfit. That couple now has custody of the child.

In federal court hearings, county officials alleged that besides the two girls he was convicted of raping, Mr. WolfHawk had abused his daughter, who is now in her 30's, an accusation he denied.

The unusual case has raised some doubts even with groups that champion the rights of abused children.

Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, said he respected the right of agencies to take custody of endangered children, but said that the standard for removing a child had to be set "very high."

"If somebody was convicted 20 years ago and has not reoffended, and the circumstances of the offense would not appear to make him a threat to young children, then this is troublesome," Mr. Allen said.

David L. Levy, the chief executive of the Children's Rights Council, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, said, "I am not aware of any case where a 20-year-old conviction, no matter how heinous, has been used to remove a child from the care of the perpetrator and from a mother who had nothing to do with that crime."

"The state may think that because they're married, the only way to make the child safe from the father is to remove him from the mother," he said. "But what about her due process and constitutional rights? If they can show a present danger, I'd be the first one to support removal, but they need to show a connection between 20 years ago and now."

If this is true, without additional reasons the mother was unfit, does this mean the government intends to decide who parents may associate with, or risk losing custody of their children? I found this case most troubling...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,140 • Replies: 18
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 02:53 pm
I don't!
A brutal sexoffender such as Mr. Wolfhack is never cured and should not be around children. Ms. Wolfhack has had already 2 of her children removed and placed in foster care, why on earth would she get pregnant again and take the risk of yet another child being placed in foster care, which is exactly what happened with child # 3.

Our local newspaper reported also that Ms. Wolfhack was
using drugs for quite some time now, and was unfit to
be a mother, in addition to being married to a sexoffender.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:07 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
I don't!
A brutal sexoffender such as Mr. Wolfhack is never cured and should not be around children. Ms. Wolfhack has had already 2 of her children removed and placed in foster care, why on earth would she get pregnant again and take the risk of yet another child being placed in foster care, which is exactly what happened with child # 3.

Our local newspaper reported also that Ms. Wolfhack was
using drugs for quite some time now, and was unfit to
be a mother, in addition to being married to a sexoffender.

Were her kids removed b/c she uses/used drugs? Or b/c of her mate choice? Why would the newspapers continue to claim it was mate choice if it were some other reason? Why would the ACLU have a lawyer representing her, if her civil liberties weren't being violated?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:16 pm
princesspupule wrote:
Why would the newspapers continue to claim it was mate choice if it were some other reason?

Because there is currently a larger hysteria over pedophiles than there is over drug abusers.

Quote:
Why would the ACLU have a lawyer representing her, if her civil liberties weren't being violated?

The ACLU takes on lots of cases but the fcat that they represent someone doesn't mean that the person (or the ACLU) is correct in thier interpretation of the laws.

In this case her civil rights are most certianly being vinfringed upon. The question is whether the state is justified in doing so - and IMO that are being infringed upon justly. She can marry whomever she wants and she can take all the drigs she wants. She can't endanger the life of a child while she's doing that though. If she is judged to be to stupid to properly care for the child than the state has a legit justification for assuming that role.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 12:19 am
"If this is true, without additional reasons the mother was unfit, does this mean the government intends to decide who parents may associate with, or risk losing custody of their children? I found this case most troubling... "

Would it trouble you less if the child were abused?

Sorry, child molesters rarely change.

If the mother is unable to apprehend and act upon what appears to be a severe risk (and experience would suggest to me that there is far, far, more known about the risks than has been reported) then somebody has to act responsibly.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 08:36 am
In this case (and this isn't the first time it's ever happened, BTW), the state is acting before any abuse can occur, in the best interests of the child. The state is justified because of the spouse's past actions. Seems very reasonable to me -- sorry that this gal's poor choice of love is the reason for the removal of her kid, but the kid has no choice in these things and is potentially in danger, whereas Mom can always choose who to associate with. If Mom wants her kid back, she can just stop associating with her spouse.

Yes, that means she has to choose. But this is a parent-child deal we are talking about. Lots of parents make decisions for their children all the time, from where to spend their money, to where to work, to where to live. This is more drastic, to be sure, but it's not so unheard-of.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:06 am
bookmark
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 09:40 am
This is very interesting. I have a few questions that people on this thread may be able to answer:

If someone is convicted of sexual assault on a child are they forever prohibited from living in a home where children are present?

If so, would it be completely outside the bounds of law to require such a person to have a vasectomy?

With a nod to CJane I've been reading up on the adoption home study process. Clearly such a conviction would disallow me the opportunity to adopt -- the opportunity to be a parent. How is this so different?

Wouldn't it be interesting to see someone from the ACLU take up the case from the standpoint of the child's constitutional rights? Don't kids have rights under the Constitution? Which right might apply here?

What rights do people convicted of felonies lose?

Isn't the definition of insanity someone who expects a different outcome from the same set of circumstances? Is Mrs. Wolfhawk insane? Should a woman with such obviously poor judgement be allowed to get her kids back even in the absence of Mr. Wolfhawk?

In my opinion, the man is a monster, the woman is an idiot and despite the failings of foster care those kids are WAY better off not living in a house with either one of them.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:09 am
Hi boomer, I'm responding in blue. It's been a while since I studied this stuff, so I'm sure Debra or Joe will have more recent info.

boomerang wrote:
This is very interesting. I have a few questions that people on this thread may be able to answer:

If someone is convicted of sexual assault on a child are they forever prohibited from living in a home where children are present? possibly, depends on local laws or, if there was a plea agreement, said agreement

If so, would it be completely outside the bounds of law to require such a person to have a vasectomy? heh, yes, actually, in most places, believe it or not. This harkens back to Buck vs. Bell, wherein the courts have been all over the place regarding forced sterilization. I believe that the general consensus these days is against forced sterilization -- the court might encourage and recommend it, I believe, but not require it. So the offender can make babies all s/he likes, just not keep 'em.

With a nod to CJane I've been reading up on the adoption home study process. Clearly such a conviction would disallow me the opportunity to adopt -- the opportunity to be a parent. How is this so different? Blood relationship, nothing else. Courts tend to hold adoptive parents to higher standards than "natural" parents. The courts have, so far, resisted testing for "natural born" parents to make sure that they are fit for parenthood -- testing that is a normal part of the adoptive process. Does this mean that children could, potentially, be in danger due to the different standard? Absolutely and they are.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see someone from the ACLU take up the case from the standpoint of the child's constitutional rights? Don't kids have rights under the Constitution? Which right might apply here? Sure kids have rights, but these rights tend to be more limited, mainly because children are not considered to be fully competent to handle their affairs. Competence grows as children grow up, but most jurisdictions subscribe to various versions of one-third, two-thirds, three-thirds, all on the way to age 18. The first six or seven years, children are generally considered to be fully incompetent to handle their own affairs although their testimony (such as in child abuse cases) can be accepted if it can be shown that the child fundamentally understands that if they lie under oath (e. g. commit perjury), that they have done a bad thing. The following six or seven years (the second third of the way to 18), children are generally felt to be partially competent. They are usually trusted to be able to give testimony but not to be able to enter into voluntary contracts in the absence of an adult agent who is acting in their best interests. The last third of the way to the age of majority is where children are more likely to be considered competent, even to enter into voluntary contracts, provided they understand the risks and consequences thereof. This is also the time when a lot of jurisdictions allow persons under 18, perhaps, to drive, marry, work, leave school or become emancipated from their parents.

The child here (as in most abuse cases) probably has an appointed law guardian to argue his/her rights in this matter. The ACLU need not get involved because the child is already represented.

What rights do people convicted of felonies lose? Depends on the jurisdiction, many lose the right to vote, for good, even after they leave prison (if they ever do), for example. Convicted sex offenders, under Megan's Law, have to register their status. There are other areas, of course.

Isn't the definition of insanity someone who expects a different outcome from the same set of circumstances? Is Mrs. Wolfhawk insane? Should a woman with such obviously poor judgement be allowed to get her kids back even in the absence of Mr. Wolfhawk? This is not necessarily the legal definition of insanity as defined in the germane jurisdiction. Certainly Mrs. Wolfhawk's judgment, prudence and competence are in question, due to this incredibly poor choice she has made, and those things will probably always be at issue in any future court proceedings concerning her or her offspring.

In my opinion, the man is a monster, the woman is an idiot and despite the failings of foster care those kids are WAY better off not living in a house with either one of them. True 'nuff.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:17 am
Quote:
With a nod to CJane I've been reading up on the adoption home study process. Clearly such a conviction would disallow me the opportunity to adopt -- the opportunity to be a parent. How is this so different?

Yes boomerang, thus the finger printing and police record
approval prior to adopting (I hope they do that nationwide
and not just from state to state).

As dlowan said, sexoffenders are not rehabilitative and as
far as I know, are not allowed to live with children - ever!

There was a case in Munich, Germany, not too long ago,
where a family with children was aquainted with
a sexoffender. After he was released from prison he lived
with the family for a couple of days and promptly: the
younger son was abducted, molested and murdered by
the sexoffender. What a terrible tragedy that could have
been prevented.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:28 am
Thank you jespah and CJane.

I need to put my thinking cap back on and ponder this for a bit.

I have absolutely no problem with having my background checked but I do find it odd that some (those that might think this child should be reunited with his parents) seem to think that I (and other adoptive parents) must adhere to a higher standard than someone who has been convicted of sexual assault on children.

By the way, I'm glad for all the checks done regarding adoption, I'm not quibbling about that.

I'm not at all sure what the laws are regarding sex offenders living in homes with children but I imagine there are situations where they do.

Are adolescents who are convicted of sex offenses required to register?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 11:23 am
jespah wrote:

Yes, that means she has to choose. But this is a parent-child deal we are talking about. Lots of parents make decisions for their children all the time, from where to spend their money, to where to work, to where to live. This is more drastic, to be sure, but it's not so unheard-of.

But his crime occurred 20 years ago, w/only one unsubstantiated accusation since then a very long time ago. From what I've read around the 'net, the couple live 20 miles apart, and yet b/c of who she chose to father her children, that is enough reason to have her children removed? Sorry, but that sounds like CPS is overreaching boundaries, coming off sounding like nazis, with the next step being to tell a parent who they can and can't associate with. Then, there are his rights to consider... has he lost them forever due to one conviction 20 years ago? Suppose this were her brother, or any other family member, rather than her spouse; would she also have to choose to have no association with that person as well? Is that the sort of society we live in today?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 11:28 am
We try to protect children -- that's the answer. It's not great and there's little finesse to it. The law, often is neither pretty nor does it often take into consideration a lot of extenuating details, but the bottom line is protection of the child. The child is the helpless one here, not the mother.

Has he lost his rights forever? Very possibly. Oh, and if the conviction -- sorry, I'm getting confused here -- is due to a supposedly unsubstantiated allegation, then why wasn't it overturned on appeal? Was there an appeal?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:52 pm
boomerang wrote:

If someone is convicted of sexual assault on a child are they forever prohibited from living in a home where children are present?

If so, would it be completely outside the bounds of law to require such a person to have a vasectomy?

Wouldn't it be interesting to see someone from the ACLU take up the case from the standpoint of the child's constitutional rights? Don't kids have rights under the Constitution? Which right might apply here?

What rights do people convicted of felonies lose?

Isn't the definition of insanity someone who expects a different outcome from the same set of circumstances? Is Mrs. Wolfhawk insane? Should a woman with such obviously poor judgement be allowed to get her kids back even in the absence of Mr. Wolfhawk?

In my opinion, the man is a monster, the woman is an idiot and despite the failings of foster care those kids are WAY better off not living in a house with either one of them.

Jes has answered very fully and legally, from a US standpoint...I will answer from experience and an Oz standpoint.

Forever prohibited? Hmmm.......

First, the chance of BEING convicted of sexual offences against children is vanishingly small. An actual sexual assault, causing trauma etc, may score a conviction, especially if it leaves DNA evidence, but the "normal" abuse, by an adult well known to the child, is almost impossible to prosecute successfully. You know, one word against another, and the presumption of innocence and all....

Here, convicted paedophiles may be stopped from associating with chidren...but I believe this is possible only for as long as they are on probation or some kind of parole.

Welfare authorities would be likely to act if a woman had a known sex offender in her home, or seeing her kids, but the ultimate arbiter would be a court re whether they could successfully do so or not.

It is usually much harder....you know, where someone is a suspected sex offender, but has no convictions.

I think the burden of proof is always much greater in depriving a natural parent of a child than it is is stopping people from having contact with kids when they are being vetted for foster care/adoption, and rightly so.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:58 pm
jespah wrote:
We try to protect children -- that's the answer. It's not great and there's little finesse to it. The law, often is neither pretty nor does it often take into consideration a lot of extenuating details, but the bottom line is protection of the child. The child is the helpless one here, not the mother.

Has he lost his rights forever? Very possibly. Oh, and if the conviction -- sorry, I'm getting confused here -- is due to a supposedly unsubstantiated allegation, then why wasn't it overturned on appeal? Was there an appeal?

I guess the unsubstantiated allegations were in another news story on the couple. Allegations are she was a prostitute and a drug addict, and he allegedly molested a biological daughter many years ago in addition to the rape he served time for. Here's one version: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15427465&BRD=2626&

Quote:
Melissa WolfHawk gets her chance today in Schuylkill County Court to gain custody of her newborn son.

In a hearing scheduled for 10:30 a.m. before Judge Charles M. Miller, the Pottsville woman and Schuylkill County Children and Youth Services will argue whether the agency should retain custody of the boy, who was born Tuesday in a Chester County hospital.
Children and Youth has had custody since Wednesday, when it obtained an emergency order from the county court to keep custody of the boy, whose fate is at the center of a legal battle between WolfHawk, 31, and the agency that focuses largely on her husband, DaiShin Wolfhawk, 53, the boy's father and a convicted sex offender.

"He's healthy. He's still at the hospital," Mary Catherine Roper, Philadelphia, WolfHawk's attorney from the American Civil Liberties Union, said Thursday of the boy, who was born at Jennersville Regional Hospital, West Grove.

A hospital administrator said Thursday he couldn't talk about the issue, citing patient privacy rules. He would also not disclose the boy's name.

Roper, who participated in Wednesday's hearing by telephone, said the hospital declined to release the boy because he was less than 48 hours old.

The order granted custody of the boy to the agency pending today's hearing, she said.

Karen E. Rismiller, Pottsville, the agency's attorney, declined Thursday to discuss the case, not saying even whether a petition had been filed to detail Children ad Youth's allegations.

No petition had been filed in Schuylkill County in either the clerk of courts or prothonotary's office as of Thursday afternoon.

The juvenile hearing, which will be closed to the public, represents the latest step in a dispute that has attracted widespread attention and involves questions of the best interests of children and the rights of parents.

Melissa Wolfhawk sued the county in September, alleging it had violated her rights by continuously contacting her about her then-unborn son.

On Monday, Chief Judge Thomas I. Vanaskie of the U.S. Middle District, Scranton, had continued an existing order that barred the agency from contacting Melissa WolfHawk about her pregnancy but also required her to inform it within 24 hours of the birth of her son.

The order did not mention anything about what the county could do after his birth.

Vanaskie indicated he would not rule before Tuesday on Melissa Wolfhawk's request for a more permanent order against the agency.

According to Roper, Melissa WolfHawk wants custody of her son, and that her husband should not be an issue.

"He's not living with her. It is only her," Roper said. "They're not going to be living together."

At Monday's hearing, it was revealed that DaiShin WolfHawk is now living in Pine Grove, while Melissa WolfHawk continues to live in Pottsville.

DaiShin Wolfhawk, formerly known as John Joseph Lentini, served a decade in prison after pleading guilty in 1983 in New York to rape, attempted rape, sodomy and attempted sodomy in a case involving two teenage girls. He is on Pennsylvania's Megan's Law list of sex offenders.

It was also revealed at Monday's hearing that the county produced a doctor's report that Melissa WolfHawk had acknowledged using cocaine and methamphetamine and working as a prostitute, and a New York parole document indicating DaiShin WolfHawk sexually abused his daughter.

The WolfHawks have vigorously denied those allegations.

The agency already has custody of Melissa WolfHawk's 8-year-old son, and Maryland officials have custody of her 1-year-old daughter.

It has expressed concerns that the boy could be in danger because of DaiShin WolfHawk's criminal past.

Roper said the agency also raised concerns about the mother's alleged history of drug abuse.

The WolfHawks had already gone to court because county officials were asking about the pregnancy. A federal judge placed a temporary restraining order on county officials to keep them from doing so.

DaiShin WolfHawk said he and his wife were "appalled" at the county's actions Wednesday.

"Here's a baby being breast-fed by its mother, and they're saying that the mother's a danger to the baby," DaiShin WolfHawk said by phone Thursday. "What were they doing? They were trying to grab the baby before it even had its shots, circumcised, anything."

I guess I was thinking in this country, there is freedom of association, and we are judged based upon our own behavior, not based on the behavior of those whom we choose to associate.

I know a guy whose oldest son is a registered sex offender. My friend keeps his younger children away from his oldest son as required by law, but he still has a considerable amount of contact with his oldest son. He visits him, he talks with him on the phone. Should the courts take the younger children away from my friend because he has a close relationship with a registered sex offender? Where do you draw the line?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 03:15 pm
"Where do you draw the line?"

Simple answer?

**** knows.

It is no exact science.

When we come to abuse/risk etc there is no crystal ball. When parents do not know how to be good parents, there is no good answer, we can only look for least worst.

That and keep up to date with research etc.

Thing is, legislation ALWAYS, by its nature, lags behind research, and, in my experience, tends to do a seriers of wobbles...you know, too far one way, then over corrects 10 years later, and so on.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 04:55 pm
Freedom of association, sure, but in the choice of competing rights and needs, the child's are going to be paramount because of the position the child is in.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:38 pm
boomerang wrote:
I have absolutely no problem with having my background checked but I do find it odd that some (those that might think this child should be reunited with his parents) seem to think that I (and other adoptive parents) must adhere to a higher standard than someone who has been convicted of sexual assault on children.

You both are held to the SAME high standards to ensure that children placed for adoption find stable homes with fit parents. If both you and Mr. Wolfhawk submitted separate applications to adopt a child, the state would hold both you and Mr. Wolfhawk to the SAME standards. More likely than not, you would be approved as a prospective parent whereas Mr. Wolfhawk would be rejected due to his conviction.

If Mrs. Wolfhawk applied to adopt a baby, she too would be rejected due to her intimate, marital association with a man who was previously convicted of sexually abusing children. Even though Mrs. Wolfhawk has given birth to her children rather than adopting them, the state still has a compelling interest in protecting children from the RISK of harm. The state is not required to wait until ACTUAL harm is inflicted before taking steps to protect a vulnerable child.

Mrs. Wolfhawk has a right of association protected by the Constitution. She also has freedom of speech. That doesn't mean she has the right to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater and cause a frantic stampede to the exit doors and risk substantial harm to those who may stumble and fall under hoards of stampeding feet. Likewise, she doesn't have the right to knowingly expose her children to a RISK of substantial harm at the hands of a convicted sex offender.

I know of cases in my own area where women have been given a choice: Keep the dangerous man away from your children or lose your children. Almost always they cry about how UNFAIR it is to THEM--and after a whole bunch of tears, they will finally agree that "no man is worth losing their children over." That usually lasts about as long as it takes to turn your back. As soon as they think you're not watching, they're right back with the man. Rolling Eyes

Even though Mrs. Wolfhawk and Mr. Wolfhawk live 20 miles apart (for the time being) and Mrs. Wolfhawk promises NOT to expose her children to her husband, a convicted sex offender, the county probably has sufficient documented experience with this woman to attack her credibility and prove that her promises cannot be trusted. She will get a full evidentiary hearing and the state has to prove its removal case.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:28 am
Ha, great minds think alike, I was thinking of posting the fire in a crowded theatre analogy meself. Thanks for beating me to it.
0 Replies