Probate Question

jespah

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 05:35 pm
My mother was named the Administratrix of her uncle's estate when he suddenly died (this was the 70s and she was pretty close in age to where I am now). Her uncle had been in the middle of selling his major asset, a summer camp, and his siblings did not want the sale to go through (in all fairness, they were right, as the people he'd sold it to turned out to be going bankrupt).

I well recall a state trooper coming to our door and serving Mom with a subpoena. The buyer's attorney? You may have heard of him. He was Roy Cohn.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 11:55 am
Some families have nastier individuals than other families.

An out-of-state friend told me about a family of eight sisters whose mother just died. Four of the sisters had borrowed money from mama who had stipulated that unpaid balances would come out of their shares of the estate. No interest was to be charged.

The eldest sister--and executor--has decreed that while no interest will be charged as a CPA she feels impelled to levey a Cost-of-Living charge on each outstanding loan. After all, when the money was borrowed, it was worth more.

If you see a great fur ball flying out of the Great State of Nebraska....

Families. Loving families.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 01:21 pm
Chai, wondering if you've had any response to your letter?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 06:40 pm
Very Happy
Yes, I just checked the mail, and there was a letter from the attorney!

There was an explanation of what was taking so long, and the portfolio of all the stock at the date of death.

The issue that is at the crux of the matter is estimated to be resolved within the next 30 days (I'm not going to hold my breath, things always take longer. Then, an informal accounting will be done and all beneficiaries will be sent a copy. After that, the estate can be settled.

Anyway, at least now I have Something. Now I can look up present values etc.

I have no idea why the Executor couldn't have easily have provided this long long ago.
My younger sister, hasn't seen any of this either, I'll send her a copy (and it won't take 2 years Laughing )

I don't understand why some people will only respond to threats. Ya'll know I'm not naive, but God, most of the time people really can work together better than this.

Well, I'm a happy camper.

Thanks for listening to me.....really.....thanks.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 01:31 pm
Chai--

Bullies bully until they are called to account for their behavior.

This happens whether or not you are related to the bully.

Meanwhile you needed to vent. Venting is much more respectable than murder.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 02:40 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

And they'll keep testing, even after that....

Sorry to hear of all the upset.

My family isn't close, but at least we're polite and, um, businesslike.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 02:50 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:

And they'll keep testing, even after that....

Sorry to hear of all the upset.

My family isn't close, but at least we're polite and, um, businesslike.

oh yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing the accounting.

you know, even though we grew up in the same house, my immediate relatives seem to have this idea I'm not that swift.

This is strange, since my surviving brother tormented me as a child over the fact I "always had my nose in a book". Plus, I know they are aware that I have a dual degree in Accounting and Business.

duh....ug ug ug......

maybe it's my protruding brow and hairy knuckles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 04:14 pm
Glad to see this is moving along. I've been through some related ickypoo legal jousting, have gut-fear of any of it.

Hold your dominion, as a famous person here says...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 04:56 pm
Ah, a bit of progress none the less. At least you have something in hand from the attorneys and can keep on top of them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 08:06 pm
Lawyers don't appreciate family short-cuts and old feuds when the responsibility for settling the estate is with their firm.
0 Replies