Rangoli

vinsan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:01 am
Hey Guys,

Third largest festival on the planet called the Diwali (celebrated by Indians) is on its way.... This is an ocassion to be designed with RANGOLI.

This is an art meaning Lines of colors mostly practised by Indian Women .

Colored sandy powders are sprinkled and filled to arrange several designs and portraits which is mesmerising... one should always visit such rangoli festivals or exhibitions....

They are solely done using hand else with simple tools like dotted maps for outlining the designs. The outlining, mixing and making of various colors, gently pouring and filling them onto the outlined shapes on ground and ultimately shadding them requires a dedicated attention and a very steady hand motion.

It is practised in OPEN AIR which makes this art a real challenge for a newbie.

There are several ways to make a rangoli like using colored petals of flowers arranged on ground OR on still water. Rangoli is also drawn on sticky hot wax using sandy powders (where it is impossible to swipe the color powder once it is filled) and immersed under shallow water to get the 3D magnified effect.

Drawing rangoli is one of the holiest things Indians consider to do while celebrating Diwali apart from lighting houses with diyaas and candles, buying Gold (World's highest trading and shopping of Gold is done during this festival) or praying money goddess (Laxmi) and cracking fireworks.

If you have an Indian neighbour then during Diwali look for the Rangoli nearby .. you will realise how fragile but lovely art that is.... Very Happy
.... And next day the same rangoli would would be replaced by a new design

For more see these links

Books: Painted Prayers Womens Art
by Stephen P. Huyler

Pitcure
http://images.google.co.in/images?q=Rangoli+pictures&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=ii&oi=imagest

Info Links:
http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/rangoli/index.htm

Enjoy Diwali and Rangoli ....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,666 • Replies: 10
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:40 pm
I like that! Certain native american tribes create sand pictures for healing. Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:40 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
I like that! Certain native american tribes create sand pictures for healing. Beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.

Yeah! Similarly Indians draw sand pictures for bringing good omens and welcoming goddess of wealth Laxmi.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 12:31 pm
HAPPY DIWALI to all
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 01:14 pm
Happy Diwali!

I used to work at an inner city school with a high proportion of Hindu children and we did Rangoli and Mehndi and cooked samosas etc for Diwali and the children would visit the local temple and we'd be shown around and sent off with gifts and we'd have children from a country school join us for the day.

In the spring our city children would do a return visit and see the lambs and windmill and countryside stuff,

a lovely cultural exchange, Diwali is fun - we've got fireworks every night at the moment here and the Diwali lights are up in the streets.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:12 am
Yeah, Thanks vivien.

The Diwali Lights are called as Diyas. It a very sacred ocassion indicated in Hindu Epic Ramayana when Lord Rama defeated the God of daemons Ravana who kidnapped Rama's wife Sita. It also concluded the 14 years of exilation for Rama & he returned home (Ayodhya) on the ocassion on which exact day the diwali is celebrated. Entire Kingdom of Rama was lit up with diyas to symbolise and enlighten the victory of Good on Evil. So the festival of lights than colors. Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 01:23 pm
we used to do all the stories with the kids Very Happy - and the park not far away has a huge bonfire where they burn Ravana with his many arms and there are fantastic fireworks and a huge event.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:19 am
Vivien wrote:
we used to do all the stories with the kids Very Happy - and the park not far away has a huge bonfire where they burn Ravana with his many arms and there are fantastic fireworks and a huge event.

But was that on Diwali or Dussera? Coz mostly Ravana idol of fireworks is cracked on the day of Dussera which is always 21 days before Diwali.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 01:49 am
ummm -- I tend to mix up some of Navratri and Diwali Embarrassed - they do follow on

We've got Diwali, Eid and Bonfire Night going on at the moment so fireworks for hours every night.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:03 am
Vivien wrote:
ummm -- I tend to mix up some of Navratri and Diwali Embarrassed - they do follow on

We've got Diwali, Eid and Bonfire Night going on at the moment so fireworks for hours every night.

Thats fine :wink: Sometimes me too Mix up my girlfriend's Birthday and her puppy's Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:13 pm
Laughing
0 Replies