Cooking in fits and starts.

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:11 pm
Onion pie.....I LOVE onions....my new found obsession is French Onion Soup, which as well all know is like a heart attack in a bowl.

I might have to be stealing this from you....after having added some provolone cheese to the mix.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:13 pm
Dinner at Chia's house!

I don't measure stuff much either, Chai Tea. When I'm making something new I'm a little more careful.

Your post really makes me miss having time to really cook.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:53 pm
boomerang wrote:
Dinner at Chia's house!

Laughing
0 Replies

blue1

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 04:12 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
why dont you use pots and pans like everybody else?

yaaaa .......... Laughing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 04:27 pm
that was ages ago blue. We've prepared the meal sat down eaten it done the washing up and set the world to rights since then, where you bin?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:33 pm
jespah wrote:
Ooh shewolf and Bella, good ideas, thank you very much. Smile I will try both ideas. Awesome!!!

I buy the firm tofu, the soft stuff is for shakes, the firm stuff is for stir-frying and the like. I buy whatever's on sale or low cal, I'm not really brand conscious and we don't notice a difference.

if you want to try the frozen way of making tofu, never freeze the soft stuff. It just ends up like frozen jello Confused

A quick recipe for frozen tofu-
1 block, thawed in the freezer IN PACKAGE, cut corner and squeeze until all water is gone, but not hard enough to CRUSH the tofu.

Wamr pan ( no oil ) crumble the tofu and let sit for about 20 minutes to make sure all the water has evaporated out of it .

1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/3 cup tamari sauce
3 table spoons olive oil
2 tbsp seasoned salt
1 tbsp Tumeric powder

After the tofu has lost all water, pour some of the olive oil on top of the tofu and stir.
Then sprinkle season salt and tumeric.. stir it well so it doesnt clump in the oil.
slowly and evenly .. drizzle the rice vinegar evenly over all the tofu.
Let set on med-high heat pan for about 15 minutes
Add tamari , serve on a bed of cool baby spinach, with diced tomatoes.

yummy yummy yummy.. that is what i call my breakfast scrambler..
vegan style. :-)

( ppbbthh.. no , IM not vegan.. and if i was, i would be the fattest vegan in history.. Laughing )
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:36 pm
For those of you who may be following my kitchen exploits and for me, who is trying to keep distracted here is tonight's experiment.

(Littlek, look away)

The non experimental part was brining the chicken. One hour per pound in a saline, wee bit of sugar solution.

I removed the chicken and dried it then I got to the what should I glaze it with stage.

Hmmm.

What do we have around here?

Olive oil! Mustard! Fig jelly! Cayene pepper!

That sounds good. Glaze, toss in oven.

(littlek, you can look again, now)

Green beans (the skinny kind), wild rice and fresh tomato slices from the garden will round out the meal.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 07:47 pm
Hey, I may be a mostly-vegetarian, animal loving gal, but I'm no wuss!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:12 pm
lil'k, did you see I posted the minipumpkin recipe earlier...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:14 pm
Awesome. Chai, you're definitely right.

shewolf, thanks for the recipe. Can I sub something for tumeric? I have about everything else in the spice rack but that. Hmmm.

Oh, measuring? That's for baking, which needs more precision so that chemical reactions (e. g. rising) will really work. But otherwise don't measure. You taste, you estimate, you check, and pretty soon, you just know.

PS Tonight, small grease fire. RP was not yet home. Took me about a second to process what was going on. Turned off the burner. No harm, no foul. Sausage was not burned, pasta was fine, all is well, there wasn't even any smoke.

So now I'm wondering if maybe I'll do that deliberately some time and make bananas foster.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:05 am
Lk a wuss?
ppbbtthh.. in yer dreams. ;-)

how do you ' dry' chicken? What do you mean by that boom?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:09 am
I know littlek isn't a wuss but I didn't want her to get upset over my chicken butchering.

I dry it simply by wrapping it in a towel and letting it sit for just a bit - it helps the skin get a bit crispier when you roast it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:21 am
Question for the frozen veggie group.... did I get a bad bag or do all frozen veggies come out pretty soft and limp? I made snow peas last night. Ick. Not tender crisp. More like squishy mush.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:28 am
most of the time theycome out limp

unless you can put them into warm water and let them thaw that way.
Takes more time and attention, but that raises your chances of having them crisp vs soggy and limp
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 07:32 am
I think I'll be sticking with fresh. More work, better taste.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 11:03 am
At Costco I buy these giant bags of "petite green beans" that are sooooo good. I like them as well as fresh beans and much better than canned.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:09 pm
So, maybe it was just the brand?

They aren't squishy?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:01 pm
It's called "Flav-R-Pack" brand. They aren't squishy at all - which is why I hate canned green beans.

I sometimes have problems with even fresh snow peas getting them to stay crisp. Try snap peas - they taste very similar and seem to hold up better.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:03 pm
I have noticed that Dole brand bagged veggies are more floppy then Green Giant..

dunno why?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:13 pm
Have you seen the Green Giant? With pants that tight, everything looks less limp.
0 Replies