Is Generlaising wrong

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 02:31 am
Tiny lace....
How about my pants?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 05:06 am
They likely would produce the effect I mentioned although we men are more organised now and only rarely kill or maim each other with such stimulations.I realise this is disappointing but it must be remembered that badly injured men are not much use in the sequel.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:33 am
Oh. and there i was imagining pub brawls over local tarts. Not your cup of tea?

I just realised we have gone a little off topic
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 01:19 pm
Queenie wrote-

Quote:
I just realised we have gone a little off topic

That's called making their little heads spin.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:42 pm
I have skipped pages three and four, so if what I say here has already been said, sorry.
Satyr is right--"All thought and awareness is a generalization." All thought is abstract, and every abstraction is about classes or categories of things. Those are generalizations. To deal with the world only in concrete and particularistic terms may be spiritually the best way to go, but it does not provide the best basis for dealing with the world (abstractly) in linguistic and socially.
My only reservation regards universalizations, as opposed to generalizations. Generaliztions refer to what is "generally the case" (exceptions expected); universalizations refer to what is "always the case." One can think of valid universalizations, but one mustn't confuse them with generalizations.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 06:42 pm
There you go Queenie.We had digressed.
0 Replies