Is Generlaising wrong

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:20 am
After an argument on the favorite albums thread when i got it in the neck from a few people when i said something a bit blunt, I want to ask:

Question Is generalising wrong? Question

I have my own opinions on this evidently, but i shall chip in when everyone else tells me what they think.

Chow for now people.
Razz xxx Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,635 • Replies: 45
No top replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:21 am
Oooh and i did a poll too!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:22 am
Generalizing that all generalizing is bad is bad.
Very Happy

It depends. Sometimes it's ok. Sometimes, it isn't.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:39 am
I think its fair enough to begin with, it can help you sort out whats important to you. No point in spending ages thinking about something of no good.

You can primarily say, yes or no.If yes continue with a more in depth discussion, if no, dont go on and on just annoying people.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:52 am
Generalizing is okay to the extent that it gives a good start off point; however, after that things need to be more closely examined and the initial generalization must be redefined.

(and I did not cast a vote)
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:34 am
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 11:52 am
As a rule...generalizations are wonderful...if we agree with them. The author is small minded if we don't.
Hee Hee
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 01:14 pm
Yes Panzade.
And you're a hipocrite.
Dont know how to spell hirh87hsdjf
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 01:43 pm
We're all hypocrites love, to some degree. The trick is to acknowledge it and try to forgive it in others.
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:08 pm
Quote:
Is Generlaising wrong

Yes ...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 04:02 pm
panzade wrote:
We're all hypocrites love, to some degree. The trick is to acknowledge it and try to forgive it in others.

Nicely said Razz

In response to the original question: No, generalizing is not wrong. It's just something we all do.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:12 pm
Generalising is obviously wrong.I see Queenie,our hostess on this flight of fancy,as a specific,special kind of gal.She isn't just another pan scubber on the make.Leastwise I don't think she is.She isn't a beta minus or a bit of fluff or a daughter or any of that crap.She's Queenie and she's bloody ace.They should remake The Castaways with me and Queenie instead of those hermaphrodites they used last time.I could cope with her being fat and ugly and stupid.No problem.Shading away from such extrememities would be just a bonus.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:15 pm
spendius, have you been to the pub again? You post an awful lot about the alcoholic refreshments, plus, you talk a hell of a lot of 'rubbish'.
Don't get me wrong: I find you very interesting to read. You've made me laugh (me the fly on da wall). I just think you're full of sh*t.

And yes, I used a hellovalotta generalizing here. Razz
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 06:49 pm
See, here's the problem. People fail to start at first principles; they just jump straight to the big question. Before we can answer this question, we must first ask -- and answer -- the following.

"Is privatization wrong?"
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:33 pm
What do you mean patiodog?

This is what I got from google when I looked for a definition:

Quote:
Generalization is a broad statement or belief based on a limited number of facts, examples, or statistics. A product of inductive reasoning, generalizations should be used carefully and sparingly in essays.

www.pearsoned.ca/text/flachmann4/gloss_iframe.html

I think we should be careful when we generalize and if it is based on too litte a fact, or on a questionable hearsay, don't. Oh, and never devote yourself fully to generalizations.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:37 pm
The general is at the top of the organization, more or less. The private is at the bottom. Just a wee joke, there.

Anyway, I just came in to see what generlaising is, whether it had anything to do with hair-removal, and how that could possibly be subject to moral evaluation.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:39 pm
lol ok, got it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 05:33 pm
Which hair removal have you in mind.

I have no moral compunction regarding hair removal.Others may do and I respect them but it makes no difference to me which hairs I'm asked to remove.I can do it with style and panache and at the same time sound like I'm interested in the daily doings of the hirstute object under my professional attention.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:01 pm
I'm astute to my hairstute to be-troot you truly,
but a sturt in my hairshirt would be a treat I'd feel trekeenly.
0 Replies

yardsale

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 08:23 pm
It depends on what we are generalizing!
0 Replies