21 Million responses can't be wrong -I hate my computer!!!!!

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:52 pm
"I hate my computer."

Type that into Google and you'll get more than 21 million responses. Tells ya something, I think. Computers are "fooked."

I am personally having a war with mine. It refuses (re-fecking-fuses) to "write" to either of the CD drives. Why? I dunno. It's a bastard sucker and I hate, hate, HATE it.

What's more, the stupid thing copied ten files I DID NOT want on the disk, then refused to copy the one I needed to be copied. If it were alive, I would kill it... slowly.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,999 • Replies: 22
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:05 pm
Is "hate" too strong a word? Shocked
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:09 pm
It is possessed by a demon, you must perform an exorcism
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:40 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Is "hate" too strong a word? Shocked

No. Can you think of a stronger one? I might use it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:43 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
It is possessed by a demon, you must perform an exorcism

Exactly.

I tried to kick it, but it cowered under my desk and I couldn't quite reach it.

I believe I will need to purchase an angelic and well-behaved Apple to fully excise this demon from my office.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:44 pm
I hate other people's computers much more than my own. For instance, the computers at Time Warner Cable, which have inadvertently been f*cking me out of an extra fifteen bucks a month ever since I signed up for digital phone service...bastards...dirty, rotten, evil bastards.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:52 pm
Thank you, Kicky. All I want is a little sympathy...

I will hate the Time Warner Cable computers with you, too. They are probably taking your money and playing illicit computer games on work time.

Filthy, evil, hard-hearted horrors. I spit on them... and their mothers. pbbbt! .... pbbbt!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 07:54 pm
Yes! That's the spirit! I piss on their motherboards!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:20 pm
Heeheeehee... good one. But first, I think you'd better unplug the wicked things or you might get an electrical shock -- that is, if the tales of electrical fences I've heard are true. (Could they be true?)

Meanwhile, I will pull their nasty nodes from those crappy, bendy boards and twist them into metal pretzels.

I screamed at mine for a while, but it didn't seem to do any good at all... and now my voice is hoarse.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:21 pm
I never understood why people were afraid of computers in sci-fi flicks like 2001:Space 0ddessy. You can easily destroy an evil computer by just spilling coffee on them - I know I've done it a few times.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:29 pm
This is beyond decency. By all means kill your computer but torture....no, I couldn't countenance that.

Why would you torture it? It knows nothing. It can't tell you where Osama is hiding.

It's not even a decent nihilist. It just is.

I bet it doesn't even understand dualism.

Remember what Nitschze told us, you look into that computer and it's going to look right back at you and become you, or you become it, or something like that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:41 pm
Piffka wrote:
I believe I will need to purchase an angelic and well-behaved Apple to fully excise this demon from my office.

I think that's a splendid idea Piffka Cool
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:40 pm
Coffee... pee... what's the diff? But coffee might be easier for me.

Greenwitch -- I am saving the keyboard, the mouse and the screen. It wasn't their fault. It is that stinkin' crappy metalic humming box that's gotta go.

Goodfielder, the fiend has my words... my gigantic collection of photos... letters, poetry, articles. Links. Argggghhhh...

And it refused to write to the disk... lied to me so that I wasted hours and embarassed myself at the UPS store showing up with an incommunicative disk. I had to waste the precious ink of my well-behaved printer and the precious gasoline in my reasonably good-natured Vo. I was late to do some things I wanted to do.

First I have to rescue everything being held hostage within... then, I think I'll plot its treatment. I'll ritually spill coffee and leave it out all winter to rust, be slimed by slugs and snaggled by squirrels. Hah.

It will be a sweet revenge.

I know you've heard this before, Jane, but I really mean it this time. Wink
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:49 pm
Piffka - printers can bankrupt one.....thirsty little demons they are.

The computer is misbehaving. But strangely, while I sympathise with your plight, I feel for it. No doubt there's a word for that affliction. Where is Portia when she's needed?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 05:15 am
The quality of mercy is not strain'd?

-- But humble I who humbled, humbling seeks.
Forfend the wretched box that pulls 'ee down.
Away the complimented sighs.
The dirge begins anon.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:46 am
Computers aren't bad.

They were just created that way by the sadistic tech support people that keep you on hold for 2 hours after you have to call back for the 3rd time.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:35 am
Piffka wrote:
Heeheeehee... good one. But first, I think you'd better unplug the wicked things or you might get an electrical shock -- that is, if the tales of electrical fences I've heard are true. (Could they be true?).

oh yes its true Embarrassed
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 12:06 pm
<grin>

Sorry. I almost feel your pain. Wink
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 12:59 pm
'puters themselves ain't bad, but lotsa folks do themselves no favor in failing to learn the basics. Ya gotta remember; its a technology barely out of its infancy. The biggest problem really is the amount of end-user control over the things. While hardware failures, design errors, and incompetently constructed software play a large part in frustrations, far and away the leading source of difficulties is the user. Either the user does something ill-advised, or fails to do something which should be common practice.

Gotta pretty much agree with mosta the gripes about tech support, though; all too often, even vendor tech support is pitiful. Even there, however, there is another factor to consider. Clueless, outsourced, cubicle-bound, incapable-of-independent-thinking, communication-challenged droids aside, the user often is the bottleneck, providing the otherwise competent and willing tech spport person with incorrect and/or irrelevant information to begin with. I know lotsa tech support facillities are all but useless, but those which are competently staffed can do only what you let them do, much as a 'puter will do only what you tell it to - Garbage in=Garbage out.

I can tell you from personal experience just getting the necessary info from the customer can be a real challenge, closely followed in degree-of-difficulty rating by getting the customer to do exactly and only what you say to do.

And all that aside, things are better now than they were 5 years ago, and ten years ago, you were pretty much on your own; if you couldn't figure it out yourself, there pretty much WAS nobody to call. Twenty years ago, only geeks had personal 'puters of their own, and 30 years ago, anyone who had a personal computer built the thing.

Say whatchya wanna about Microsoft, IBM, and Intel, they were the delivery room staff at the birth of the boom. And believe whatchya wanna about Apple; Macs can and do crash - spectacularly - and are increasingly vulnerable to external attack, an inevitability of increasing market presence. The same goes for "Alternate Operating Systems" and "Alternate Browsers" as well; as they become more common, the entertainment value they provide to evil-doers goes up right along with their popularity.

And remember - to err is human, to err consistently and in precisely the same fashion requires a computer Mr. Green
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 01:04 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Twenty years ago, only geeks had personal 'puters of their own, and 30 years ago, anyone who had a personal computer built the thing.

1977, I was programming using an HP9870A card reader <I will NEVER forget that number>. I had the developer's home phone number in NYC - so I could call whenever it started smoking Shocked
0 Replies