Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:05 pm
Peas are legumes, carrots are roots, mushrooms are fungi. This being so, would you think of mushrooms as a vegetable when planning a meal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,030 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:44 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:29 pm
And I forgot to add, tomatoes are a fruit.

So what is a vegetable???
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:09 pm
Fruits are the part of the plant that bears seeds. Nuts are the seeds themselves. Except for legumes which......? Hmmm. Mushrooms are fungi which are a critter all-together different: not quite plant, not quite animal (I typed human - oy!).
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:11 pm
Anything that isn't a mineral or animal is a veggie. *nods*
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:32 pm
I'm with fishin'--specially when it grows in dirt and you don't need no hammer to break it loose.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:45 pm
We refer to carrots, beets and potatoes as root vegetables. But legumes (peas, beans) are also vegetables. A tomato, as you say, is a fruit for botanical classification purposes. But it's a veggie for gastronomical purposes. As littlek has rightly said, nuts are seeds and fruit are the containers of seeds. But what are we talking about here -- botany or gastronomy? Mushrooms are fungi, yes, but they are used as vegetables in cooking. The two questions -- how are things classified for scientific purposes and how they are sorted as foodstuffs -- are two entirely different subjects.
0 Replies

Kailash

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2015 11:25 pm
@Tomkitten,
mushroom is all time favorite at home and i often include these high protein ingredient in our food. mushrooms are versatile and they can be made into a quick snack, curry, soups, stir fries, patties and salads.

there are few versatile veggies like potato and peas which you can safely add in most of main stream indian dishes as well as in pulaos and biryani to make them more healthy. similarly, mushroom and paneer are two all rounders in indian cooking which are most often used and they pair well with most of veggies as well as curry based dishes.

i often use mushrooms in indo chinese recipes or in pulao/biryani or in vegetable gravy dishes. mushrooms adds a very unique taste to the recipe and makes it more nutritious as well as yummy.
0 Replies