Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:05 pm
Peas are legumes, carrots are roots, mushrooms are fungi. This being so, would you think of mushrooms as a vegetable when planning a meal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,171 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:44 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 06:29 pm
And I forgot to add, tomatoes are a fruit.

So what is a vegetable???
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:09 pm
Fruits are the part of the plant that bears seeds. Nuts are the seeds themselves. Except for legumes which......? Hmmm. Mushrooms are fungi which are a critter all-together different: not quite plant, not quite animal (I typed human - oy!).
0 Replies

fishin

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:11 pm
Anything that isn't a mineral or animal is a veggie. *nods*
0 Replies

Noddy24

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:32 pm
I'm with fishin'--specially when it grows in dirt and you don't need no hammer to break it loose.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:45 pm
We refer to carrots, beets and potatoes as root vegetables. But legumes (peas, beans) are also vegetables. A tomato, as you say, is a fruit for botanical classification purposes. But it's a veggie for gastronomical purposes. As littlek has rightly said, nuts are seeds and fruit are the containers of seeds. But what are we talking about here -- botany or gastronomy? Mushrooms are fungi, yes, but they are used as vegetables in cooking. The two questions -- how are things classified for scientific purposes and how they are sorted as foodstuffs -- are two entirely different subjects.
0 Replies