Painting Abstract Art for beginners

Dek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 12:43 pm
On a life restyle kick I've decided to have a go at painting some abstract art for myself. I'm a complete beginner as far as painting (or any form of art) is concerned but I'm fond of the works of Mark Rothko, Jay Hall and Paul Klee and would like to paint something similar myself.

I'm quite prepared to just give it a go but I think it would be useful to have an idea of colour, balance, form and painting techniques.

I've made a vain attempt to find a book or some study guide somewhere to give me a basic understanding before I put paint to canvas.

Can anyone make a suggestion of something suitable, maybe a generic book on painting would be suitable but I'm unsure given my aim which I should consider.

Thanks
Dek
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,514 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Fatima10

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 02:40 pm
Hi Dek!
In answer to your question about what book is the best, for your new endeavour, I must say that it is:"THE ARTIST'S HANDBOOK".

It is written by RAY SMITH, Published by ALFRED A. KNOPF. The edition that I own is copyrighted @ 1987, although I believe that I purchased it in the mid=90's? More than likely, there is an updated version. The 1987 version has 352 pages.

It is an excellent book, on many levels. My copy is dog-earred, highlighted in diferrent colors (indicating the value of the information as a BASIC TRUTH/FORMULA; what is of value to my needs) Paperclipped, notated, underlined in different colors of pens, each indicating to me the information that I am weak in and need to remind myself, or explore.

It also explains art concepts, which would be most essential and helpful for one who is newly traveling the road of artistic expression.

May I make one observation, comment? Abstract art is not just the easiest, most logical genre of art,for those who have never painted before. It is important, to achieve the basics of traditional painting, in order to make you exploration into abstract art produce a more rewarding outcome. This is true, also with non-objective art, I think.

A good example of this, I believe, is Picasso. If one views his early traditional paintings, one can see that he truly understood the unwritten, almost mathematical laws that are intrinsic, albeit not obvious, in art. Like the law of gravity, art too, has 'laws'.Because of his grasp of the fundamentals, which is likely. the more accurate word, than "traditional", his abstract art "WORKED< WOWED<and made him a successful, working artist, while still living. A BONUS!

Then there always the savants of any art or discipline, that just 'have it'.

This of course, is in my humble opinion.

Good luck Dek! Have you decided which media you are going to use?

best wishes,
fatima10
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 02:53 pm
Thank's alot Fatima10, that's exactly the sort of advice I was looking for.

I know where you are coming from on the basics, that's party why I wanted to gain a better understanding of composition in general.

The reason for wanted to pain Abstract Art is merely because that's my favourite form.

Maybe I should consider starting out with a traditional Art class instead?

I figured Acrylic on canvas using brush and knife but I'll ease myself into that, no sense wasting canvas in the early days

Dek
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 02:54 pm
Oh I forgot to say, there is a new edition of the Artist's Handbook coming out in May, until then its unavailable so I've put it on pre-order and will check out some local art classes

Dek
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2003 04:34 pm
Great another beginner on the site, welcome to A2k Dek. I am a beginner as well and all of the wonderful participants in the art forum help me out all the time.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 05:50 am
Hi Joanne, that's good to hear, I've had some good advice from Fatima, it's great to meet such helpful and intelligent people
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:20 am
Dek
Welcome. I applaude your love for the abstract. One small bit of advice. Because you mentioned that you will be using acrylics, I suggest you practice layering. Get some 50-75 lb. paper or cheap mat board and lay down colors of different concentrations of paint. To achieve this you can use water or matt medium. Let the layer dry before you place another layer over it. As you are practicing, remember the word,"play." In this way, your imagination will take over. Good luck.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:36 am
Welcome aboard Dek.A little trick I came up with for color. (actually I stole this from my wifes color mixing for fibre arts)

Id mix larger amounts of differing colors (all kinds). Then Id either spray paint or brush the colors onto those styafoam balls. When I had a large mixture Id go get a restaurant mayonnaise jar and put all the balls inside. Id shake it up everyso often and see how the colors randomly laid next to each other. Sometimes some very neat color combinations appeared. Id then try doing a painting of just stripes of those colors (kindof like Albers) then Id get more creative with colored doodles. Ive gotten some interesting paintings and, if they dont work, TOSS EM< DONT KEEP THEM. If you ever do an art show, the critics will define you by your worst painting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 09:16 am
Actually, I'd call a local community center or college and see if they have adult classes in drawing and painting. All of the artists you mention had traditional art education and abstract painting is based on all the classic rules of composition, color, et al. Abstract painting is something like jazz in music and if you study the jazz musicians, you'd fine they all had some classic or traditional music training. Although there isn't much drawing involved with abstract art, somehow it does come through that one has some drawing skills. It's in the gestural strokes which bear a lot of resemblance to calligraphy (studying calligraphy would be helpful). Of course, art is a test of one's hand-to-eye coordination (maybe the best artists are also the best drivers?) Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 11:16 pm
Dek, I should mention that there are a lot of links under the featured topic Helpful Art Links, with many indexes for artists and paintings, and many museums...

Seeing paintings online is not the same as in real life, but can be useful...
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 03:28 am
kayla wrote:
One small bit of advice. Because you mentioned that you will be using acrylics

Kayla, slight change of heart here, after some good advice from Fatima I think I will be going for Oil instead of Acrylic Confused From what Fatima says I think it will be a better medium for me as a beginner
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 03:31 am
Farmerman,
Sounds an interesting technique, I'll give it a go, thanks
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 03:44 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Actually, I'd call a local community center or college and see if they have adult classes in drawing and painting.

I've already got it under control Very Happy the new semester starts after Easter and I'm looking at joining a night school class, I've also put and order down for the Artists handbook as recommended by Fatima, a new edition is due out next month

Ossobuco,

Thanks I'll check the links out, I do visit local Galleries when I can but don't get into London as often as I would like. I've been planning a trip to Tate Modern for some time now, just never gotten around to it, I could have gone to the opening of it but was just too busy to manage it Sad

Thanks
DeK
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 04:05 am
Joseph Albers wrote a book, "Interaction of Color." A paperback edition is available (through Amazon). Although I have not read it yet, I believe it must be of great value.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 06:11 am
Thanks Satt,

A good review on Amazon too, I think it would be worth adding to my list

Quote:
Train your eye and become a colourist, 23 August, 2002
Reviewer: A reader from Toronto, Ontario Canada
While other books on colour theory such as Itten's "The Elements of Colour" and Birren's "Principles of Color" present colour theory in a way that can be read and put down, reading these books won't train your eye. Spending time on Josef Albers' book will acquaint you with colour to a degree you wouldn't have thought possible.

To profit from this book you have to be willing to put in the time to do the colour experiments for yourself but the effort is worth it. The only drawback with the book is that I found the text isn't all that easy to follow at times and there aren't an awful lot of illustrations to help explain what's in the text.

0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 06:34 am
For your information, I have found a CD-ROM edition (rather expensive compared with the paperback) for Macintosh Computers (don't know whether Windows edition exists).

http://www.yale.edu/yup/books/059957.htm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 10:08 am
I got the most out of the color and compositional experiments the art instructors required in college art classes. One experiment in composition was to put down a half inch grid of about ten to fifteen rows and using various shades of the same tones of grey from nearly black. You block in the different shades by filling in each square to come up with an vertical, horizontal and diagonal assymetrical pattern (kind of like Modrian). The same idea of leading the eye into the image towards a center of interest is important although many of the abstract expressionist like Frank Kline and Jackson Pollock consistently gave the illusion there was a continuation of the composition off the picture plane and there was a diffuse center of interest. However, they both learned the rules before they began to break them.

Whatever classes you take (or art labs, as they frequently refer to them), stay away from the instructors who approach painting with the "how to paint" or "painting for dummys." The basics can get a little tedious as the urge to forge ahead and start painting finished products is very strong. You find out if you have drawing ability in life drawing more than any other class and I suspect that many of the abstract painters would not be able to produce an adequate life drawing. Some of them have strong design education backgrounds like Warhol (who could draw figures but used photographic projections with photo emulsions on canvas).

The Alpers book is one of the best and he explored it with his Homage to the Square series approaching an infinite array of images.

It takes at least one to two years of classes but it's worth it. Eventually working up to taking a class in abstract painting is really very wise. Just be prepared for the idea that you might not have the necessary skill and talent to produce anything salable and be satisfied with producing work for your own collection. It's an excellent way to combat stress and anxiety, that's for sure.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 10:29 am
thanks Satt, I think I'll go for the book Wink

Lightwiz, Thanks for the advice, I guess it's the same with most things in life, learning from others is usually the best way, you avoid the common mistakes and learn good techniques.

I'll certainly only be painting for fun, can't wait to get started.

DeK
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 10:45 am
On using oils - recently some companies have developed materials with much reduced toxicity (verging on none), using various amounts of resin. I have been working with the turpentine substitute called Gamsol and the lite Galkyd medium that Gamblin products puts out. There is a website, I think it is Gamblincolors.com. The owner, Robert Gamblin, is very helpful with any questions and there is lots of info on uses of the products/paints available both on the site and when you buy the products. I also used their varnish, happily.

There may be other companies doing this as well, if you check on line.
0 Replies

Esme

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 01:01 pm
Hey everybody, and hi Dek!
what can I say? you really sound very enthusiastic about painting and arts. I studied arts (painting/drawing/sculptoring) to become teacher, but after a while recognized that teaching isn´t what I was looking for. I became an artist *only*. So only some advice from me here, no teaching, :wink: .
I see you are a beginner? or are you having some previous knowledge?why starting with oil? why starting with something so complex. why not trying some pastel chalk first. you can carry that wherever you want to, and you are more flexible. and it can be effective.
watercolours, oil, tempera, gouache, acrylics,.... keep that for indoors first and take some chalcoal, red chalk or pastell colours chalk with you all the time, and a little diary-sort of book. Deal with painting and drawing very casually. Not every picture has to become a masterpiece. Relax and let go. Try special paper, like grey, or just simple brown wrapping paper to overcome the first shyness which overwhelms everybody before the first brushstroke.
aaahh..see? I can go on forever with this kind of thing.
very important too is how to handle your instruments, as there are chalk, pencil, brush, spatula, quill.... and so on. the choice of paper is important too and then the way how you get ready, how you relax and get yourself into the right mood. Its like contemplation and meditation.....say stop, please, ... Embarrassed
and yes, everybody who mentioned that first you have to get a bit of a basic knowledge how to paint/draw technically and how to paint/draw in a naturalistic and figured way is right.
even the wildest Ensor, Kandinsky or Miró started their way simply by copying, naturalistilcally and figured, learning, then moving on, developing and finding their own melody of art. ...ahh I´ll have to stop, geez!
many ways lead to your personal way of art, and no matter what we are saying or trying to explain, if you are having the love, the enthusiasm and the joy to paint or draw, go for it. try out and never hestitate to experiment. And while listening to what the others say, never ever let their criticism spoil your love for art and never get too influenced by somebody, who think only their art is the right one.
okokok..I am done..sorry! Laughing
I am the Queen of blahblah Embarrassed

and sorry for my clumsy English. Its not my first language.
0 Replies