Need advice on plane tickets--first time going overseas!

dora17

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:58 pm
Hi guys, I need some advice from people with a bit more experience than I have with traveling!

My boyfriend and I have been talking about a trip to Ireland. We started looking at airline tickets last Wednesday and the ticket prices weren't too bad, but we weren't sure yet about the trip, so we held off on purchasing them. Well, every day since then, the prices have gone up by $100- 150! Since we've never bought plane tickets before, we don't know what to do. If we keep waiting, are they just going to keep going up, because it's getting closer to Christmas or something? Or might they go down again?

If anyone has any experience with this and could give me some advice, it would be so helpful! I don't know if we'll even go now, if the ticket prices don't go down again... Sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,789 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:53 pm
Dora, I'd like to help but I'm not so smart about this. Am answering just to bounce up the topic in the line up.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 09:16 pm
Thanks osso, you're a pal Smile
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:28 pm
dora I suspect you're seeing the shift in fares due to the low/shoulder/high season changes. If you search on the net you should be able to find information about the duration of each of these "seasons" as they apply to you in your location.

The northern hemisphere winter is usually low season but of course pre-Christmas/New Year and the period just afterwards is going to be high season. Summer in the northern hemisphere is high season. See how it works?

That's about all I can offer I'm afraid so please do a bit of a search on the net (you might also find some good deals too).
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:30 pm
dora, if you go to www.hotwire.com you'll find cheap flights.

I just put in some data from LAX to Dublin, Ireland
from Nov. 1 to Nov. 30 and got a price quote of 456 Dollar
roundtrip.

To order a ticket you need a valid credit card for the
final transaction. Tickets will bei either mailed to you
or you'll receive an e-ticket (per email).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 11:16 pm
Dora--

Tickets are usually cheaper between mid-January and Easter, but book now. Early this month I booked a flight to Boston one day after the price had been raised by $30 because of the cost of fuel.

Book soon.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:53 pm
thanks everybody, I guess I'd better just jump on it now if I'm going to do it. Wish I'd have gone ahead and gotten them the first day we looked! Ah well...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:15 pm
Look around. There might be a site that gives a deal for plane plus hotel.

When I stayed in San Francisco a couple of years ago, my round trip plane plus decent hotel for 4 days equaled only about ten dollars more than the plane alone would have been.

I think I got that through Orbitz or Expedia.

You could google air fare deals and see what comes up...
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:16 pm
Depends on when you are looking at going, Im waiting to buy mine in December for the early bird specials.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:44 pm
The tour package I'm looking at, as well as my time off for winter break, is in early January. How long beforehand should you look for special deals in your opinion, Kiwi?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:25 pm
Well Im not going until next April but am going to buy my tickets in Dec
for next year. Its just something you have to keep watching, also keep going online to see what specials the Airline themselves will be doing.
Geez you are going to freeze your butt off over there at that time of the year.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:44 pm
Yeah I know, but then it's about as cold where I live anyway. I'm used to winter in the Sierra Nevadas so it shouldn't be too much of an adjustment. Smile
0 Replies