Upcoming Gallery and Museum Shows, continuing thread

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 01:23 am
dinipo, I still plan to expore links you gave a couple of pages back (don't mean not to acknowledge.) I'm a slow polk.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 01:47 am
dinipo, I still plan to expore links you gave a couple of pages back (don't mean not to acknowledge.) I'm a slow polk.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:09 am
ossobuco, in a few days the winner will be announced in Toronto. Life will return to normal for a few people.
Walter, those cliffs look a lot like Etretat to me. I spent two years in that lovely hamlet; I wonder how long Monet painted there. Go to google images and ask for monet etretat.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:11 am
There are a couple of paintings Monet did in Etretat ... I've seen some as originals :wink:

(And Etretat a couple of times as well.)

Actually, my encyclopedia only lists two by Monet and two by Corbet - I might have mixed them up. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 07:18 am
Monet on the Normandy Coast: Tourism and Painting, 1867-86
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:18 am
Exhibition until June 3:

http://i17.tinypic.com/48rqteq.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/2gw5h6s.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 01:38 am
The Unknown Monet: Pastels and Drawings - an exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts in London.

The Daily Telegraph: Startling secrets of a master

link to slideshow (Telegraph)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:31 am
Perhaps one of the most important European exhibitions of the year:

"Views on Europe - Europe and German Painting in the 19th Century"

(Link to the museum's exhibtion website)

An exhibition of the "Staatliche Museen zu Berlin", "Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden" and the "Bayerischen Staatsgemäldesammlungen" in Munich in cooperation with the Musée des Beaux-Arts / Paleis voor Schone Kunsten , Brussels.

Quote:
The exhibition "Views on Europe" examines how Europe was portrayed in German painting of the 19th century. How did Germans see Europe in that era influenced by artists ranging from Goethe to Rilke? What did they observe and what didn't they notice? While many artists looked to the south - to Greece and Italy as the roots of European culture on the whole - others peered over the fence to their French, Dutch and Austrian neighbours. Of course, there are numerous references to other European nations, as well. Caspar David Friedrich, for instance, was inspired by the stunning landscapes of Bohemia and Silesia, and Belgium provided the field of historical painting with important thematic impulses. This exhibition in Brussels will not only focus on the thematic points mentioned above, which - in the spirit of the European Union - demonstrates the common links between nations, states and regions, but will also present the large German museums which hold important collections of art from this period, in particular those from Berlin, Dresden and Munich. This two-fold concept reveals Germany's history as the history of small states whose interaction helped form cultural unity and diversity.

The exhibition will feature a large array of artists, including Karl Friedrich Schinkel, Karl Blechen, Caspar David Friedrich, Philipp Otto Runge, Adolph Menzel and Max Liebermann.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 03:51 pm
4 large sculptures by Mark di Suvero coming to Chicago's Millennium Park for a year -

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/living/chi-0703140545mar16,1,6463929.story?coll=chi-living-hed
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2007 08:23 pm
Well! Here's quite a pithy review of The Unknown Monet exhibition - REVIEW HERE
0 Replies

salman22

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 12:35 am
Just Checking
Salman Khan
<a>Salman Khan</a>
http://www.google.com/
www.google.com
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:10 am
welcome to A2k, Salman Smile
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2007 05:55 am
Ive just posted my application form to hopefully get a piece of work into this summer ssummer xhibition and the Royal Academy UK in the middle of the year!
When I go to hand it in I may go to see the Gilbert and George exhibition now showing at the Tate Modern.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:58 pm
http://i3.tinypic.com/2uggnjk.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:12 pm
Caravaggio fan here...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2007 11:25 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Caravaggio fan here...

So more infos for you, osso :wink:

Contentious Caravaggios emerge from the royal storeroom

Rediscovered Caravaggios on show

Two Caravaggios really are Caravaggios
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 12:12 am
OK, I'll look at all those. Did you happen to read Peter Robb's Caravaggio? Well, I suppose it is just one more, and the bit that sunk in with me in any case was my first read, Vasari's account, though I like Robb, especially his Midnight in Sicily.

Last time I was in Rome (sob!), there was a big Caravaggio show at the Barberini Palazzo. I like the works in churches, in situ, as it happens.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 12:26 am
Material Girl, didn't mean to miss your post. Good luck, and however it goes, have fun with the doing.

I entered a bunch of contests at one point. Never got anywhere, though at in one event even being asked to enter was a kind of blimpy bigtime honor. But I do remember that one particular judge was on all the art juries that nixed me.
Eminent fellow, hiss.

Not that he was wrong....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 01:52 am
No, not native Milan, native da Caravaggio.... otherwise all good news.

looking at second link ---- ok, then, but not one of his majors, imho.

I await seeing the peeling of fruit...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 02:28 am
Thanks Ossobuco.
0 Replies