Is there life after death?

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:28 am
Green Witch wrote:
There is no scientific proof of what happens to people after they die. It's a matter of faith. . .
Just an aside: Are there any evolutionists who believe the soul survives death in some way? That would be an interesting juxtaposition of beliefs, would it not?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:18 am
neologist wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
There is no scientific proof of what happens to people after they die. It's a matter of faith. . .
Just an aside: Are there any evolutionists who believe the soul survives death in some way? That would be an interesting juxtaposition of beliefs, would it not?

Not really. If you believe (which I don't) in reincarnation you can come back as any sort of living thing at all. I was a dinosaur in my past life, albeit a small and annoying one.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:27 am
The first law of thermodynamics is that energy is neither created or destroyed so I can see how evolutionists might believe the soul survives death if you define soul as energy.

Right now I'm reading "Spook: Science Tackles The Afterlife" and I highly recommend it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:33 am
Belief in evolution does not preclude belief in God, by the way.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:59 am
Wow! Extremely interesting replies. Thanks! Keep going.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:03 am
I like butter.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 03:30 pm
I believe in a spiritual world in addition to our material world - that is my faith. I also believe in evolution - that is science. Personally, I see no conflict.
I also like butter

By the way Questioner - some faiths say you can come back as anything, while other faiths say you can only come back within your own soul group. Thus dogs would always come back as dogs, chickens as chickens and humans as humans. No proof either way.
0 Replies

ngangoli

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 03:27 pm
Life after Death
Hi,

Nothing can be said conclusively about Life after Death from the point of view of Science. However there isa very interesting book by Raymond Moody - Life after Life. It was published many years back but science is not opening its mind to these subjects which were previouly not researched.

Since science uses logic, left brain thinking and relies heavily on proof it is possible that it will not be able to come to a conclusion on this subject because death is something which can only be experienced. It is subjective and not objective, not of the material world. The Tibetan Book of the Dead describes what happens after death according to Mahayana Buddhism. Its teachings are corroborated by Moody's book.

Regarding fear of Death please visit my website at
Edit: Moderator: Link removed

regards

Nikhil
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 05:58 pm
Ok, let's look at this objectively.
What facts DO we have on the subject?
PRO
Accounts of peoples 'near death' experiences.
CON
-Physical brain functions inarguably linked to mental functions."nothing mental happens without something physical happening"
-No evidence of a 'soul', or equations that require 'soul' to solve.
-No evidence to suggest the existence of 'afterlife'

Not alot on either side, but ultimately the burden of proof lays with one making the affirmative claim.
Personally I think the idea of afterlife to be both ludicrous and irrelevant.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:44 pm
Not to mention that it is a concept not supported by the bible.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:33 pm
If anyone has studied OBE's (outer body experiences), there's a silver cord that connects the spirit body to the physical one, to keep it from getting lost so to speak.

The spirit never dies, therefore, where would a soul go when they die?

They have to go somewhere.

If you've ever read accounts of people in a room with a dying person, any animals present go crazy while watching what I s'pose would be the spirit rising from the body. Plus, the angels that carry them.

Apparantly they've done a study on how much the soul weighs (I know, sounds strange). The body was a teensy (but noticeably) lighter the split second the last breath was taken.

Wanda
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:42 pm
Quote:

If anyone has studied OBE's (outer body experiences), there's a silver cord that connects the spirit body to the physical one, to keep it from getting lost so to speak.

I have. There has yet to be a verified recorded incedent of anyone being able to 'leave their body' and bring back any kind of pertinant information (ie - seeing around a corner to read what is written on a sign, out of sight of their body)
Quote:

The spirit never dies, therefore, where would a soul go when they die?

They have to go somewhere.

What is a spirit. How does it live. Where does it live.??
How do you know it 'never dies'?

Quote:

Apparantly they've done a study on how much the soul weighs (I know, sounds strange). The body was a teensy (but noticeably) lighter the split second the last breath was taken.

Urban legend
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:52 pm
Why are your eyes red?

Are you mad? Very Happy
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:54 pm
I'm very dissapointed, Shocked you didn't have anything to bash this one:

Quote:
If you've ever read accounts of people in a room with a dying person, any animals present go crazy while watching what I s'pose would be the spirit rising from the body. Plus, the angels that carry them.

tsk. tsk. :wink:
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 10:59 pm
If you see my comments as 'bashing' you are looking at them from a very slanted perspective, which leads me to conclude you probably didn't consider them. tsk tsk.

I didn't address that because it is absurd. No offense against you, but 's'posing' the reason for a phenomenon (that may or may not have any basis in reality, but for arguments sake we will say that it does) is something wholely unprovable and unlikely(supernatural) is highly non-sequitur.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:10 pm
I knew you'd say that.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:11 pm
And why are your eyes red>>>>?

Very Happy
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 12:35 am
Must have smoked too much mary-jane.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 01:23 am
soo....if you die and that's it, what of this world?

Are you happy?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 01:27 am
I'm the other one wrote:
soo....if you die and that's it, what of this world?

Are you happy?

Yes.
Being that I see this world as all there is, I live purely in the here and now, and make the most of every moment.
The problem with living toward an afterlife is you can often bypass the fun parts of this one in doing so. At that point, if there is no afterlife, it is the believer that has lost out.
0 Replies