Need to remove baseboards that are glued and nailed

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:17 am
Hi there,

I'm doing some painting and flooring in my house and need to remove the baseboards. Normally I've removed ones that are just nailed on, no big deal. The ones in my house are nailed AND glued on... I took off some in the living room with quite a bit of difficulty because the glue held onto the paint which peeled away at the wall in some places. I used a razor blade to cut when it was pulling really bad. Is there a better way to do this? They are painted press-board baseboards.

Thanks all!

Rick
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,340 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:45 am
Bump.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:11 pm
If this isn't too late, go to your local hardware store and ask how to remove those glued on baseboards.
0 Replies

maxpower hd

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 11:00 am
May be way too late but here goes. If they are press board then you will be hard pressed, hee hee, to remove them without damaging them.

However, the best method I've found for removing trim that is to be reused is to first score the painted edge, where the trim meets the wall, with a razor. This should eliminate the pealing you described.

Second, use a puddy knife and a hammer to slowly seperate the trim from the wall. Hammer the knife blade down between the wall and the trim, working your way along the wall.

Lastly, if your pieces are particulary stubborn, see if you can at least get them seperated from the wall a little bit. Use a Sawzall with a metal blade to cut the nails and then remove. You can bend the Sawzall blade a little so it will fit into the gap better.

If all else fails, replace the trim.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 12:01 pm
instaed of a sawzall, how bout using a Japanese flush cutting saw. it can get behind the boards and , if its a moulding that is difficult to get without having made, it may save the day. I used such a saw to remove a curved piece of high base board that was nailed and glued. It was specially made by the original cabinetmakers and was a work of craftsmanship. I removed the nails first, then used the flush saw. And since Japanese saws work on the pull stroke, you can squeeze the blade in the tiny space between board and wall.
0 Replies

maxpower hd

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 02:06 pm
Sounds like another fine idea. It didn't sound like these were an old, hard to replace molding though since they are made of a press board material.
0 Replies