Here is the proof of God. Argument's over, time for bed...

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 04:18 pm
Just as long as you understand that to many, God is not a joking matter.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 04:33 pm
Perhaps you overestimate the intelligence of the posters here, Pyedog. Or perhaps you have done a poor job of explaining your position.

"God is Math" means nothing to me.

Perhaps you could dumb it down a bit. For the sake of poor wretches like me who will otherwise be forced to continue making witty (lame) comments. I would welcome a lucid explanation that does not presume a background in whatever arts and sciences you have mastered in order to arrive at this unassailable "proof".
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:17 pm
Personally, I get offended by people referring to God in the third person masculine. To me, God is not a 'he'. Nor a 'she', for that matter. God has no gender.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:20 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Personally, I get offended by people referring to God in the third person masculine. To me, God is not a 'he'. Nor a 'she', for that matter. God has no gender.

Merry Andrew,

I guess the reason I refer to God as a he is because He is referred to that way in the Bible. Jesus called Him His father.

But, when I thinkk about God, I don't have a picture in my mind of what God looks like, whether male or female.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:25 pm
Pyedog, Have you translated god into something you can grasp and understand? Thats good I guess. I don't know. Should that be what God is to everyone else? No. Can you prove God is 1+1=2? No. Will you judge everyone and call them stupid because they don't see god the same way you do? Yes you will because your in the same boat as the rest of us.

I think you need to try to understand god the same way you understand 1+1=2. God can make 1=1=3 in the blink of an eye. Then what is god. Your the same as the last 100 people that have come through here claiming to know the truth. The enlightenment you seek eludes you.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:39 pm
Momma, I take the Bible with a grain of salt. It is a beautiful book and the King James translation is superb poetry. But it also largely allegorical and filled with the myths of a semi-nomadic herding people. For me God is a sexless force, an energy, a higher power which I not only don't understand but which I do not believe to be understandable by the human mind in its present state of evolutionary development.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:46 pm
was young, I had to respect my elders. Now I'm old enough I don't have to respect anybody. - Marx

If my joking causes discomfort, well, sorry. But I don't intend to stop.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:06 pm
Hey I like that. Is that Groucho or karl?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:38 pm
edgarblythe Wrote:

Quote:
was young, I had to respect my elders. Now I'm old enough I don't have to respect anybody. - Marx

If my joking causes discomfort, well, sorry. But I don't intend to stop.

And you see, I don't understand that attitude. You don't seem to care if you offend someone or hurt their feelings. I just don't understand.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:42 pm
It's a joke, not a life and death matter. You can tell all the atheist jokes you like. If they are funny, I promise to laugh.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:47 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
It's a joke, not a life and death matter. You can tell all the atheist jokes you like. If they are funny, I promise to laugh.

Edgar,

That's the difference between you and me, I wouldn't tell an athesist joke at all.

What would happen if everyone in the world adopted the attitude of I am going to do it no matter who is offended or hurt?

Where does one make the distinction that it's not okay to make racist jokes or sexist jokes, but it's okay to make jokes about someone's God or religion?

I realize it's not a life or death matter. I am not angry at you or even upset. I am just trying to understand the attitude of what seems to be it's okay for you to do it no matter who it offends or hurts.

If you could tell me Edgar, I really would appreciate it. The more reasons I find for someone's behavior, the more I can understand it.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:28 pm
I like the atheist sketch that Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean - although I can't stand his Mr Bean character most people know him as that) did where he was acting the part of Satan. He was directing the various sinners and got to the atheists and it went something like the following:

"Ah yes, the atheists.....I bet you feel pretty stupid now eh?"

It still gives me a chuckle Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:31 pm
At an atheist funeral - All dressed up and no place to go.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:36 pm
I like Unitarian jokes better.

Two Unitarian missionaries ring your doorbell. But they're not quite sure why they're doing it.

Then there's the Unitarian wing of the KKK -- they burn a huge question mark on your lawn.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:40 pm
Bottom line, jokes are harmless. The kind I tell, anyway. There are some really rough religious jokes out there that rank right alongside racist jokes. That's where they cease to be humerous.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 07:47 pm
Isn't that kind of like well, so and so does it but I am not as bad as them?

Amazing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:05 pm
No, it isn't at all.
0 Replies

pyedogpuck

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:18 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:18 pm
I made the opening for you to make that kind of a charge. I should know better than to go against my best judgement and try to reason with a fundamentalist thinker. You are just disappointed that I don't go along with your belief. Humor really has nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:21 pm
My last addressed to Momma angel
0 Replies