Here is the proof of God. Argument's over, time for bed...

flushd

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:41 pm
pye,
God is math.
God is my black hat.
God is cheese.
God is prattle.
God is black!

Fun times.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:52 pm
I had a t-shirt once which was something like this ...

http://www.gaftee.com/aFirst/images/G1NavyT05.jpg
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:56 pm
Nobody Know who or what God is or if he exist. Thats a fact.Thats the way he wants it. If that bothers you, you should ask yourself why. (I'm not directing this to you flushed)
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 07:58 pm
I like the T!
I should get one of those for the guy i'm seeing. He's a physicist.
"Why physics?!"
"It seemed to have the answers to life"

Laughing That still cracks me up.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:01 pm
Thats not directed at you either ebrown. I type to slow. you got in before me.
0 Replies

arji

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:02 pm
uh ... did that first post actually strike a cord (or even make sense ... ) with ANYONE? I can usually find the logic in things. maybe, at this time of night, I'm trying to find a god?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:05 pm
Not to me. I just thought I didn't understand it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 09:50 pm
If it made sense, it probably wouldn't have anything to do with God. OK, so sarcasm isn't my strong suit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:21 pm
Let's pretend God's penis is a jellyfish.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:25 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Let's pretend you didn't say that because I find it very offensive.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 05:03 am
Momma Angel wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

But here's the problem. You don't know what he looks like. For all we know, what edgarblythe says could be true. Then, He would find it offensive that you thought that a natural part of him was offensive.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:16 am
The exchange between edgar and Momma demonstartes the difficulty in communicating on this subject between theists and atheists. I disagree with Wolf_ODonnell. The comment presupposes that the entity which theists designate as 'God' (and it makes no difference whether that entity actually exists or not) has a physical appearance. To a theist like Momma Angel, ascribing any physical characteristics to her God is offensive. The fact that edgar chose a gross example of physical appearance is doubly offensive. Now, edgar meant no harm. As a self-professed atheist, he merely finds humor in the discussion. It's difficult to have a meaningful discussion when the participants come from positions that are so diametrically opposed. It's like neoconservatives trying to discuss US foreign policy with extreme left-wingers. The colloquy has nowhere to go.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:28 am
Momma, why do you find it offensive?

Honestly, I don't really get it. I thought what edgar said was funny.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:30 am
I failed math. Looks like I'm in deep ****.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 08:31 am
Momma Angel wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Let's pretend "Christians" have a sense of humour. :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 11:00 am
Wolf_Odonnell Wrote:

Quote:
But here's the problem. You don't know what he looks like. For all we know, what edgarblythe says could be true. Then, He would find it offensive that you thought that a natural part of him was offensive.

Yes, that is true, Wolf. But do you honestly believe that Edgar said it believing that? In my opinion (judging from other posts of his) he meant it as a sarcastic remark towards God.

flushd Wrote:

Quote:
Momma, why do you find it offensive?

Honestly, I don't really get it. I thought what edgar said was funny.

I understand you and I am sure others thought it was funny flushd and I don't fault you for that, believe me. However, please remember that to me (Christian) God is the epitome of holiness. He is perfect. He is and always will be deserving of the utmost respect. The comment Edgar made, and whenever I see one like that I jump in there, believe me, was (IMO) extremely disrespectful, not just to God, but to anyone that loves God.

I believe God has a wonderful sense of humor also. But, I don't believe He would find it funny using humor to poke fun at anyone and I believe He would have felt that comment was extremely disrespectful.

Merry Andrew Wrote:

Quote:
The exchange between edgar and Momma demonstartes the difficulty in communicating on this subject between theists and atheists. I disagree with Wolf_ODonnell. The comment presupposes that the entity which theists designate as 'God' (and it makes no difference whether that entity actually exists or not) has a physical appearance. To a theist like Momma Angel, ascribing any physical characteristics to her God is offensive. The fact that edgar chose a gross example of physical appearance is doubly offensive. Now, edgar meant no harm. As a self-professed atheist, he merely finds humor in the discussion. It's difficult to have a meaningful discussion when the participants come from positions that are so diametrically opposed. It's like neoconservatives trying to discuss US foreign policy with extreme left-wingers. The colloquy has nowhere to go.

This is just one of the many reasons I enjoy your posts Merry Andrew. We may not agree on certain issues but I do find you fair and considerate of the feelings and beliefs of others. You explained this so well and I appreciate that you understand both sides.

blueveinedthrobber Wrote:

Quote:
Let's pretend "Christians" have a sense of humour.

Oh, this Christian has a sense of humor. I could tell you some rather offbeat jokes that would have you rolling. I find humor in most things in life. But, I do not find any humor in making fun of anyone's personally held beliefs or their God. I just don't believe that is the right or respectful thing to do. Anytime someone makes fun of God or Christ, I will point it out, just as I would if it were a family member of mine.
0 Replies

pyedogpuck

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 12:24 pm
see, here is the blah, blah, blah part
How about returning to the very original post of this thread? Just for giggles. I'm sure the idiotic banter will follow this since those who seem to post most often have LITERALLY nothing to say. Ghostofgauss has so far been the only one to offer an even logical argument. Although I heard nothing of comment in reference to the necessity of faith in arithmetic if Godel's theorem of incompleteness is seen to be analogous to religious faith. That is an awesome path of discussion, but as I said in the founding post, most people REALLY DON'T care about God. They care about morals and humanistic principles. That is very cool, but it is not all that interesting for the reason pointed out by Merry Andrew, "the colloquy has nowhere to go."

Places of interest to tour; mathematics as genetic algorithms that lead to supervenient properties of "us" (as consciousness), information is all there is and reality IS God's mind, or... I don't know, just something interesting!

So with this in mind how about talking about the original question, what is wrong with "God is math". And not from some touchy-feely place; "wrong" refers to the logic of the statement and has nothing to do with blasphemy. I as much care about why YOU think God does or doesn't exist as I do about YOUR favorite flavor of ice cream. And seriously, before you ATTEMPT to write back some witty or derogatory remarks... well, just don't because I guarantee it is NOT witty and it IS lame.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 12:49 pm
pyedogpuck,

You have a Blessed Day! God is what God is. I do not believe God is math.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 01:02 pm
pyedogpuck

"logic" being the mathematics of "set theory" begs the question since "set membership" or being able to count "1" is where this question started ! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 03:41 pm
Did anybody here watch a movie called The Name of the Rose, starring Sean Connery? It is a murder mystery, set in the dark ages. It is Connery, the monk, who is trying to find why people are dying in a monestary. It turns out, there is a connection between the deaths and a book. When the monk that kills everybody because of this book gets caught, it is learned that the book is a joke book. He was afraid that if people could laugh at jokes, they could make jokes and laugh at God, hence the killing. Well, I intend to joke about anything that strikes me as funny. If that makes me unliked, tough.
0 Replies