Here is the proof of God. Argument's over, time for bed...

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:39 pm
It is so very annoying to see endless chatter about the proof of God's existence or nonexistence when nobody really cares one way or the other. What matters to them is morals or eternal life or the lack of either. That being said, here is the proof I promised:

1 + 1 = 2

That's it. God is math. They are the same thing just pronounced different. Seriously, don't look at it any deeper than an arithmetic statement for that is all it is. And also proof of God's existence. But there is the problem. People wish to ignore the obvious and offer some proof when all along it is the proof. "1 + 1 = 2" is omnipotent; nothing can make it not so or change it. It is omnipresent; it is, always has been and always will be. But the thing most intriguing is that It doesn't care if I kick a dog, or steal, or sin, only other people care about that stuff.

How is this mistaken? But please without quotes about "math is the language of God." Please use your own words and ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,440 • Replies: 80
No top replies

real life

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 11:11 pm
Re: Here is the proof of God. Argument's over, time for be
pyedogpuck wrote:
It is so very annoying to see endless chatter about the proof of God's existence or nonexistence when nobody really cares one way or the other. What matters to them is morals or eternal life or the lack of either. That being said, here is the proof I promised:

1 + 1 = 2

That's it. God is math. They are the same thing just pronounced different. Seriously, don't look at it any deeper than an arithmetic statement for that is all it is. And also proof of God's existence. But there is the problem. People wish to ignore the obvious and offer some proof when all along it is the proof. "1 + 1 = 2" is omnipotent; nothing can make it not so or change it. It is omnipresent; it is, always has been and always will be. But the thing most intriguing is that It doesn't care if I kick a dog, or steal, or sin, only other people care about that stuff.

How is this mistaken? But please without quotes about "math is the language of God." Please use your own words and ideas.

Well two out of three omni's aint bad.

Math isn't omniscient however. It only "knows" math. It knows nothing of love, philosophy, literature or a host of other things.

Sorry. (Not really). Math isn't God.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 11:16 pm
I think I would go crazy if I believed math=God.
Meh. To each their own. Razz
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 11:31 pm
If maths=God then I failed God at school. Back to the drawing board with me.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 12:12 am
1+1=1 (Drops of water)

1+1=10 (Binary Arithmetic)

1+1=3 (Sexual Reproduction)

The definition of "1" and "+" are entirely subject to contextual human experience and our urge to predict and control other contexts
...... as is the concept of "God" as "the Big Controller"!

BTW If you think the rules of "counting" are simple read up on Georg Cantor who became a mental case trying to deal with "different sized infinities" !
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 02:37 am
I thought 'God was love'.
0 Replies

pyedogpuck

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:10 am
Philosophy, love, and all others (even "context") are meanings we've projected. It doesn't matter how I represent "1 + 1 = 2", and that is exactly the point, it only matters that it always does and always will in EVERY and any place, time, universe and so on.... I don't care about what the math is, just that any true and valid concept of math will ALWAYS be true and valid no matter how it is represented or interpreted. "1 = 1" works as well.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:14 am
There will never be a God, no matter how many tricks you can come up with. It just ain't so. God was invented in the myths of humans and will die out when human myth dies out. Could be in five hundred years, could last til the race becomes extinct.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:21 am
"1 = 1" works as well."

not necessarily. Sometimes one feels a sense of superiority.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:22 am
Does this mean Santa Claus is real too? I hope so! Woohooooo!
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:14 am
edgarblythe wrote:
There will never be a God, no matter how many tricks you can come up with. It just ain't so. God was invented in the myths of humans and will die out when human myth dies out. Could be in five hundred years, could last til the race becomes extinct.

Switching from agnostic to atheist? Or do you just switch your position to whatever will aggravate the poster the most at any given time? Just curious.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 12:50 pm
Not exactly the proof I was expecting. As a matter of fact, didn't you already state that and then I asked for proof?

If this is what you believe then, hey, that's up to you. But, who came up with the concept of math? Was that God or man?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 01:27 pm
I have never pretended to be an agnostic.
0 Replies

ghostofgauss

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 09:24 pm
Actually, Godel's Incompleteness Theorem says that any system of axioms cannot be complete, so we can't REALLY prove that 1+1=2. If God really is math, then he cannot be consistant and complete, which makes for a pretty lame god, so I'd have to disagree with you.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:05 am
interesting ghost

can you expand on Godels Incompleteness theorem, in a sentence or two...ok a paragraph at most....

that gives us a flavour at to what its all about?

thanks
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:29 am
If one could "prove" the exitence (or non-existence, for that matter) of God, then we would no longer be speaking of God but some other entity entirely. The whole point for the believers is that God is beyond human understanding and, therefore, beyond and not subject to human "proofs."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 11:36 am
Merry Andrew,

Thank you! You put that so well!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:00 pm
You're welcome, Momma. On some subjects, at least, you and I seem to be on the same wavelength.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 12:03 pm
LOL. I feel you there sweetie! Just goes to show, you can learn things from anyone! I love your sense of humor, BTW!
0 Replies

pyedogpuck

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 06:51 pm
faith in math?
Quote:
Actually, Godel's Incompleteness Theorem says that any system of axioms cannot be complete, so we can't REALLY prove that 1+1=2. If God really is math, then he cannot be consistant and complete, which makes for a pretty lame god, so I'd have to disagree with you.

Interesting... we have to have faith that "1 + 1 = 2". Sounds familiar.
0 Replies